PEP GUARDIOLA REFUSES TO BLAME JOE RALLS...

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:32 pm

Man City boss Pep Guardiola refuses to blame Cardiff City's Joe Ralls for controversial challenge on Ilkay Gundogan
By Ben James

His reaction was a little different to the last time he was in Cardiff

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola admitted that aggressive tackles are just "a part of football" as he refused to chastise Cardiff City's Joe Ralls for a rash challenge on Ilkay Gundogan.

Just over half a year after he had furiously called for more protection from referees after Bluebirds left-back Joe Bennett's horror tackle on Leroy Sane had caused the German star ankle ligament damage, Guardiola cut a far different figure after another rash tackle on one of his players during his side's 5-0 win at the Cardiff City Stadium.

Ralls was perhaps lucky not to see red after catching German midfielder Gundogan on the shin with his studs late on in the first-half but it seems the Manchester City manager has mellowed since his outburst following the clubs' last clash back in January.

Speaking about the decision not to send off Ralls, Guardiola, who was seen remonstrating with the fourth official after the incident, said: "(Referee) Michael Oliver decided it was a yellow card.

"He said it was a foul.

"We played quick. When you play against a team that are more aggressive, you move the ball quicker.

"Dribble in different positions, play simple, central balls. That makes it more complicated to receive the contact and they did it so well.

"It's part of football. We know that.

"The game was good for play - for both sides. They fouled, we fouled.

"It was a good game in all aspects. More so for us than Cardiff, of course."

The quotes come as a bit of a change of stance for the Spaniard, who called for players to be better protected by officials following Bennett's challenge on Sane in the Citizens' 2-0 FA Cup win over Cardiff last January.

At the time, he said: "I said many times the only thing they (referees) have to do is protect the players.

"Not the Man City players, all players. The only thing they can do is that - to protect the players - because it would not happen again."

Bluebirds boss Neil Warnock admitted it was a tough day at the office - after a run of fixtures that has seen them concede 12 goals in three games - but admitted that matches against Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City were never going to define their season.

"It was a long afternoon," said Warnock. "I thought we started well.

"I thought in the first 30 minutes, we had shape and knew what we were doing but the goals killed us. I’ve not seen our heads go down like that.

"It’s a disappointment. Like I said before, it’s not going to define our season but it will knock our chin on the floor a bit. The lads have got to get over the weekend and get on with next week."
Attachments
Joe Ralls.jpg
Joe Ralls.jpg (30.39 KiB) Viewed 2956 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: PEP GUARDIOLA REFUSES TO BLAME JOE RALLS...

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:37 pm

Looked bad because their player was to quick for him and ball was gone before ralls reached him! And truth betold didn't hurt him that much kicks on foot always hurt no matter how soft tackle is. Besides pep had nothing to really moan about. :old:
pembroke allan

Postby CF23 Bluebird » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:06 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Looked bad because their player was to quick for him and ball was gone before ralls reached him! And truth betold didn't hurt him that much kicks on foot always hurt no matter how soft tackle is. Besides pep had nothing to really moan about. :old:

Exactly the same as Joe Bennett's Allan. Sane was too quick and no malice intended in my opinion. I guess Joe Ralls will be dropped for the return at the etihad now though as well
CF23 Bluebird

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:44 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Looked bad because their player was to quick for him and ball was gone before ralls reached him! And truth betold didn't hurt him that much kicks on foot always hurt no matter how soft tackle is. Besides pep had nothing to really moan about. :old:

Definite red for me.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby nojac » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:53 pm

Only one player went off on a stretcher , and he wasn't in sky blue !
nojac

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:06 am

nojac wrote:Only one player went off on a stretcher , and he wasn't in sky blue !

But he just fell over awkwardly.

Ralls was a straight red card for me - caught him on the knee with his studs, no question.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby Sven » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:44 am

nojac wrote:Only one player went off on a stretcher , and he wasn't in sky blue !

Was 'one of those things' and pretty innocuous; heading the ball two inches off the ground apart! ;) :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Lawnmower » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:26 pm

Mistimed challenge, no malice.

If that’s a sending off then half the games will end 8 v 8, ref got it spot on for a booking.

One a piece. Not a dirty game and Ralls is not a dirty player.
Lawnmower

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:26 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:

Definite red for me.

Yes seen red for similar fouls but it wasn't reckless for reasons I've said also ref had clear view he obviously felt same or clearly he would have sent him off without any complaints from city. :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:49 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

Definite red for me.

Yes seen red for similar fouls but it wasn't reckless for reasons I've said also ref had clear view he obviously felt same or clearly he would have sent him off without any complaints from city. :thumbup:

Yeah I agree there was no malice but with an almost stamp on the guys knee with his studs another ref may well have given it. Glad we didn’t play them with 10 men.
:lol:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Return to General Chat