Not investing more in this squad

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby footiexmadx » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:39 pm

Is going to cost us big time it's clear to see some of our players ain't Good enough we ll be lucky to reach 25 points
footiexmadx

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Not investing more in this squad

Postby llan bluebird » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:27 pm

We are still paying for the investment from five years ago.

We are what we are, a championship club and will be for another decade. We were heading for L1.......
llan bluebird

Postby City Slicker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:49 pm

footiexmadx wrote:Is going to cost us big time it's clear to see some of our players ain't Good enough we ll be lucky to reach 25 points

Were a Premier club in name only. It's a pity for us fans but we will have to look to new owners if we ever dream of developing as a club.
City Slicker

Postby 2blue2handle » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:55 pm

City Slicker wrote:
footiexmadx wrote:Is going to cost us big time it's clear to see some of our players ain't Good enough we ll be lucky to reach 25 points

Were a Premier club in name only. It's a pity for us fans but we will have to look to new owners if we ever dream of developing as a club.

How many players are we short and how much would it cost? We are what we are and signed who we signed. Chucking money at it that isn't sustainable is not a good way to run a club. Most these owners promise the world and deliver on little.
2blue2handle

Postby psw78 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:04 pm

Today isn’t the day to be saying ‘we should have invested’. We lost heavily to a team who broke all sorts of records last season - we could have invested £100m and the result probably would have been the same.

Our last three games have been against teams we’d have expected to lose to - in two of those games, we’ve more than competeted. Our first three, arguably we were finding our feet.

The next run of homes games will define our season - I’ve seen enough to believe we can get points from those games (assuming no injuries or suspensions).

In reality, we came up with an average Championship squad, that Warnock squeezed everything out of. The amount we’d have had to spend to ‘guarantee’ survival would have been ridiclous. I still think the strategy from the club has been the right one for a sustainable future and one that we can build on if we do go back down.
psw78

Postby City Slicker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:07 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

How many players are we short and how much would it cost? We are what we are and signed who we signed. Chucking money at it that isn't sustainable is not a good way to run a club. Most these owners promise the world and deliver on little.

Probably six players short and that might have cost another £30m. We certainly don't have to be what we are. I can't see that careful investment could in any way be construed as "chucking money". Some make idle promises and some do not. Nevertheless, the fact remains; if we are ever to get to the next level it will be with new owners because it's not in Tan's plan. Some of course may be happy with that, and it's their prerogative; however others may not be, and equally they are free to have their own opinions.
City Slicker

Postby psw78 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:23 pm

City Slicker wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

Probably six players short and that might have cost another £30m. We certainly don't have to be what we are. I can't see that careful investment could in any way be construed as "chucking money". Some make idle promises and some do not. Nevertheless, the fact remains; if we are ever to get to the next level it will be with new owners because it's not in Tan's plan. Some of course may be happy with that, and it's their prerogative; however others may not be, and equally they are free to have their own opinions.

£30m for 6 players? So £5m each - hardly Premier League quality at that price. We paid nort of £20m just for Reid and Murphy.

6 more players of ‘average’ PL quality would have cost at least £100m surely?
psw78

Postby 2blue2handle » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:26 pm

City Slicker wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

In my opinion 6 players of the required quality would cost a lot more than 30m, the key position being a striker which no doubt would be arounf the 20m mark.

Murphy, Cunningham, Reid and Murphy cost almost 30m and in my opinion to stay up we would probably need a better quality of player.
2blue2handle

Postby ThomasC » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:27 pm

psw78 wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

£30m for 6 players? So £5m each - hardly Premier League quality at that price. We paid nort of £20m just for Reid and Murphy.

I think fans including myself forget how cash rich the top 20 clubs are now :thumbup:
ThomasC

Postby City Slicker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:52 pm

psw78 wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

Yes you're right, I meant £30m minimum. However, being careful I think we could have invested £50-60m and given ourselves a fighting chance of survival. And that's nowhere near the money Fulham have invested. A striker, right back, centre back and midfielder might have been enough, coupled with canny loan deals.
City Slicker

Postby 2blue2handle » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:59 pm

City Slicker wrote:
psw78 wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

Yes you're right, I meant £30m minimum. However, being careful I think we could have invested £50-60m and given ourselves a fighting chance of survival. And that's nowhere near the money Fulham have invested. A striker, right back, centre back and midfielder might have been enough, coupled with canny loan deals.

I think in that instance a new manager would have been required. For all the qualities and unbelievable work Warnock has done its been clear his strength is in the championship as shown with his singing.
2blue2handle

Postby Stringfellow » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:01 pm

Am so glad we didn’t throw money at it, if we go down we go down but we go down on a sound financial footing with decent championship players and a core team that would be able to compete again. We have the ground and fan base to grow in to a bigger more established premier team. One problem, got to stay in it a year or two. Catch 22 I guess but can’t be doing what we did before. Enjoy it or what’s the point. We won’t play Man City every week.
You have to go through the bad times to appreciate the good times!!!
Stringfellow

Postby City Slicker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:52 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
psw78 wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

I think in that instance a new manager would have been required. For all the qualities and unbelievable work Warnock has done its been clear his strength is in the championship as shown with his singing.

Yes I agree that's a fair point and you may well be right, but I wanted him to be given a chance after his fantastic achievement last season.
City Slicker

Postby dogfound » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:31 am

City Slicker wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

it used to really grind my gears when people kept saying how Swansea were doing it the RIGHT WAY......as if the other 91 clubs were deliberately doing it the wrong way..?.
.the truth I think was like all clubs they tried to invest wisely and got a bit lucky ..

likewise this CAREFUL INVESTMENT which a few posters have mentioned...clubs /owners / managers are not trying to chuck money on players that don't work out ,its just the nature of transfers. there is no careful investment , they really are to some extent all gambles.
dogfound

Postby Mr Moo Cow » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:49 am

We should be improving the scouting network.......We are embarrassingly out of our depth each game around 20% possession - other clubs don’t spend a fortune likes Burnley and Bournemouth even Swansea when they were in the league

Bargains are to be had we just have to find them :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf:
Mr Moo Cow

Postby dogfound » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:34 am

Mr Moo Cow wrote:We should be improving the scouting network.......We are embarrassingly out of our depth each game around 20% possession - other clubs don’t spend a fortune likes Burnley and Bournemouth even Swansea when they were in the league

Bargains are to be had we just have to find them :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf:

is this the same relegated Swansea that spent over 50 million pounds on Mesa, Clucas, Bony and Ayew just last season..
and who had over 40 million pounds worth of the bargains you talk about out on loan because they didn't work out at the Vetch.?
dogfound

Postby City Slicker » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:53 am

dogfound wrote:
Mr Moo Cow wrote:We should be improving the scouting network.......We are embarrassingly out of our depth each game around 20% possession - other clubs don’t spend a fortune likes Burnley and Bournemouth even Swansea when they were in the league

is this the same relegated Swansea that spent over 50 million pounds on Mesa, Clucas, Bony and Ayew just last season..
and who had over 40 million pounds worth of the bargains you talk about out on loan because they didn't work out at the Vetch.?

There's some that do it the right way and some do it the wrong way. It's both an art and science to get it right. However, if you don't try you're certain to get it wrong. It all comes down to "fail to plan, plan to fail".
City Slicker

Postby 103 Barmy Army » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:02 pm

psw78 wrote:Today isn’t the day to be saying ‘we should have invested’. We lost heavily to a team who broke all sorts of records last season - we could have invested £100m and the result probably would have been the same.

Our last three games have been against teams we’d have expected to lose to - in two of those games, we’ve more than competeted. Our first three, arguably we were finding our feet.

The next run of homes games will define our season - I’ve seen enough to believe we can get points from those games (assuming no injuries or suspensions).

In reality, we came up with an average Championship squad, that Warnock squeezed everything out of. The amount we’d have had to spend to ‘guarantee’ survival would have been ridiclous. I still think the strategy from the club has been the right one for a sustainable future and one that we can build on if we do go back down.

What a great summary of where we are at that sums up my own feelings, plus more. :thumbup:
103 Barmy Army

Return to General Chat