Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MY VIEW “ CARDIFF CITY TOTALLY OUTCLASSED TODAY “

Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:51 pm

MY VIEW “ CARDIFF CITY WERE TOTALLY OUTCLASSED TODAY “

Manchester City showed their quality and thrashed us today. We never looked like getting anything out of this game.

Neil Warnock made two changes from the team that lost at Chelsea, with Greg Cunningham and Lee Peltier coming in.

Etheridge, Peltier, Manga, Morrison, Cunningham, Ralls, Camarasa, Arter, Hoilett, Reid, Ward

Cardiff City’s odds were as long as 22/1 pre-match.

Man City dominated the early stages, as expected.

Sean Morrison made a crucial block to stop Gundogan scoring in the 11th minute.

Bruno Manga made a crucial block in the 25th minute to prevent Sterling having a clear chance.

Man City continued to dominate the first 25 minutes but City were defending well.

Gundogan had the game’s first clear chance in the 29th minute but shot over the bar, after good pressure by Morrison.

GOAL. Man City took the lead in the 32nd minute through Sergio Aguero. 0-1.

GOAL. Man City got their second in the 35th minute after a header by Bernardo Silva. 0-2.

Ederson makes a save from Danny Ward’s long range strike in the 36th minute.

Aguero was looking for his second after 40 minutes but Manga made an important block.

Just after that, Etheridge made a great save to deny Aguero.

Fernandinho shot wide from distance in the 42nd minute.

GOAL. In the 43rd minute, Gundogan curled in a brilliant goal to make it three. 0-3.

Joe Ralls was lucky to stay on the pitch after a poor challenge on Gundogan in the 45th minute. The referee only booked him.

HALF TIME: Cardiff City 0-3 Manchester City

Lee Peltier fell awkwardly in the 48th minute and had to be replaced by Jazz Richards.

Ederson comfortably saved Danny Ward’s 53rd minute effort.

Etheridge made a crucial a block to stop Sterling having a tap-in in the 60th minute.

Kenneth Zohore replaced Danny Ward in the 63rd minute.

GOAL. Man City made it four in the 67th minute, with Mahrez getting the goal. 0-4.

Bernardo Silva nearly made it five in the 73rd minute but Ralls made an important block.

Josh Murphy replaced Junior Hoilett in the 75th minute.

Neil Etheridge saved Sterling’s free kick on 80 minutes.

Etheridge makes a good save from Foden in the 87th minute.

GOAL. Mahrez gets his second to make it 5-0 in the 89th minute. 0-5.

FULL TIME: Cardiff City 0-5 Manchester City

Re: MY VIEW “ CARDIFF CITY TOTALLY OUTCLASSED TODAY “

Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:24 pm

Gash. Change both full backs get done down there every time.

Oh well. Won't define our season. Rain and the result never stopped singing!

Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:36 pm

Shocking tactics today, Arter on the wing ?

Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:53 pm

fred keenor wrote:Shocking tactics today, Arter on the wing ?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who questioned that! :thumbright:

Harry Arter looked out of place and a little 'lost in action' on occasions today and I felt it was not his fault! :(

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:20 pm

Sven wrote:
fred keenor wrote:Shocking tactics today, Arter on the wing ?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who questioned that! :thumbright:

Harry Arter looked out of place and a little 'lost in action' on occasions today and I felt it was not his fault! :(

It was very odd.

I thought we did well until the first goal and you could see the players heads dropped massively.

Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:07 pm

I like to think I’ve always been fair in my assessments of our performances over my years here, and I’ve never been one to completely rip into our team, but today was a disgrace.

Very few would have expected us to beat Man City, and a large scoreline against us always seemed on the cards in the run up. I can deal with that, and accept it, as long as we play with heart like we did against Arsenal, and against Chelsea until those last ten minutes. What I CAN’T accept is getting thrashed due to poor performances, and that’s exactly what happened today.

Our defence, calamitous at times in previous games, absolutely out-did themselves today. Mistake after mistake, and the majority of these were not even forced errors due to the class of Man City - they were just poor defending.

It didn’t get any better further up the pitch, with Ralls having the worst game I’ve seen from him for a number of years. When he was on the ball, he couldn’t do anything right, and when he was defending, he might as well have not even been there. The latter is the fault of Warnock though, which brings me to the team selection.

Lee Peltier was not good enough to play for a top half championship team, so the fact he was brought in to start against the champions of England is absolutely shocking. He’s started 33% of our league games so far, I believe? What a terrifying statistic that is, backed up by his performances. He was dire in that first half (not for lack of effort - he’s just not good enough for this level), and never should have come back out for the second. I can’t believe that it took a stretcher to get him off the pitch today, rather than Warnock pulling up at half time.

The decision to take our best performing CM (Arter), and move him to LM, was shocking too. Arter was never in this game, and offered us nothing on the wing. Even worse, it left Ralls absolutely isolated in midfield and Man City were just moving through that area of the pitch with absolutely no one around to try and stop them.

Junior Hoillett has been an absolute disgrace this season, given all the media surrounding his contract situation in the summer. Six games in, we’d have been better off had he not signed it. He’s given us nothing, and I cannot believe that Warnock still insists on starting him. He shouldn’t be in the matchday squad, based on current form, and maybe such a dramatic drop for him might be the boot up the arse that he clearly needs.

Warnock’s poor timing for substitutions has always been a problem, and a lack of Plan B is really being exposed in this league, but we already knew all these things. What I didn’t expect was such an awful team selection from him, particularly when it appeared these changes were not forced through injuries. I can’t wrap my head around the fact that he didn’t change it at half time.

Most concerning though, was how our heads dropped. Some goals were superb, but at least 3 were from poor mistakes from our players, and when I saw the heads of our players drop, it gave me flashbacks to the final few months of our last PL campaign. Back then, that was a team used to losing and often heavily so, and it felt like the run of defeats finally hit their confidence today. And maybe rightly so, as 12 goals conceded in 3 games is farcical, no matter the opposition. But I never thought I’d see these players’ heads drop like today, and certainly not whilst Warnock is their manager.

Warnock talks about how he had to change things up to get us scoring, but it feels like it’s been done at the expense of our defensive play. Again, I think back to the last PL season, when solid defensive work rate under Malky was replaced by a more attack-focused style u Dee OGS that absolutely ignored defensive responsibilities.

For me, the only real positive today was Cunningham. I thought he was superb from the start, and it’s a shame that he plays as LB, as he and Bennett are easily the two best full backs at the club, but are seemingly competing for the same spot in the team. Etheridge made some superb saves today too, which seems odd to say when we conceded five goals, but it’s hard to blame him for any of those, especially when it’s very easy to find other players accountable for the majority of the them.

Not once did I turn on the team today, nor would I ever, and maybe I’m still just feeling emotional about the whole thing (didn’t help that the highlights came on MOTD as I was writing this!), but today was absolutely shocking. We haven’t seen that many players have that bad a game at the same time in quite some time, and that’s stuck with me ever since half time.

We weren’t ever going to really be winning these three tough games we’ve had, and our PL survival was never going to be dependant on getting wins over Top 6 sides, but HOW we lost them was always going to play a significant part in how our season goes, and I fear that today’s performance (both as a team, and individuals) suggested that the boys have lost their heads right now.

Burnley is must-win, for both the mindset of the team and for the fans. Lose it, and suddenly the next 31 games look like they will be a struggle. Win it, and suddenly survival seems quite possible again. It’s just our luck that, right before this important game, we’ve put in a shocking display right as Burnley emphatically thumped a team who looked quite comfortable themselves against us a month ago.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:53 am

Sadly, our midfield was non existent yesterday which is down to the excellence of Man City and poor selection and position made by NW. Like many on here, I’m reluctant to criticise NW because of his past record and what he’s already done for us. As far as I can remember, in the 6 games , we’ve had 6 different line ups , which is partly down to injuries, illness, which is why apparently Bamba and Bennett were on the bench. I think JH is sadly out of touch and it showed yesterday where he had the chance to take Sterling on, on the break, but he chose to hold play up. I still can’t work out what’s happening with KZ, who has gone from a potentially £15 million player to a £15 player in such a short period. I hoped the style of football we’ve started with, would be more suitable to his style of play rather than chasing the long ball or up in the air. I hope GC is picked again because he looks like a bargain. Burnley is such an important game now not just for the 3 points but to restore the players confidence but it’ll be interesting to see what team we put out.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:34 am

I agree totally with KWest.

I will be forever thankful for what NW has done for City. I’ve always liked him as he’s a true manager of men.
But I think he looks lost at this level.

Yes we were taking on the champions, but our performance was let’s be honest shit.
We have problems all round the pitch excluding the keeper. Yesterday’s problems were mainly from the sidelines rather than on the pitch.

Why was our best player (Alter) on the bloody wing? It took him out of the game making him ineffective. It also made us lopsided. Hoilett point blankly refuses to knock the ball past the defender and take him on. Instead always cutting back looking for support. Why start Peltier instead of Richards? Pelts gives his all but just like Manga in that position, he would get skinned every time. Morrison has looked nervy every game this season. Yet again didn’t get tight enough to his man. Is he undroppable? Multiple times yesterday Camarasa and Arter were struggling as Ralls was awol marking nothing. Ralls is another player who has brought little to the team this year, but cannot be dropped. How bad must Paterson or Damour be in training??? Yes Damour remember him. Zohore just doesn’t seem bothered. I thought seeing him with Bobby could spark some life into the team, but there was nothing. What has Paterson got to do to get decent game time?
As a team we seem bereft of any ideas. This is summed up nicely by the way we kick off. Why for the love of God and all things Holy do we ALWAYS do the same thing and lump it long to the right?!? 99% of the time it either goes out for an opposition throw or our winger Mr super tall Hoilett) is beaten in the air and we immediately give away possession. It’s either insanity or poor management. Take your pick.
The positives from yesterday were Cunningham looked decent and so too did Etheridge again. Didn’t think he was at fault for any of the goals.

The pre-season transfer window debarcle in which NW failed to strengthen will ultimately cost us dearly. I don’t believe it was Tans fault. The amount we spent compared to everyone else was just crazy. I’m sure that if NW had gone to Tan and said I really want this player, he would of had him. Just look at the teams now in the Championship. It’s an incredibly difficult league to get out of. This year is slowly turning into just a money making exercise.

The Team needs shaking up for Burnley...

.......................Etheridge...........................
.............Manga...Bamba...Cunningham............
Richards..........................................Bennett
..........................Arter..............................
.........Camarasa....................Murphy.............
........................Paterson............................
......................Bobby/Ward.........................

Subs: Smithies. Morrison. Damour. Ralls. Hoilett. Bobby/Ward,

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:37 am

Ketteringblues wrote:I agree totally with KWest.

I will be forever thankful for what NW has done for City. I’ve always liked him as he’s a true manager of men.
But I think he looks lost at this level.

Yes we were taking on the champions, but our performance was let’s be honest shit.
We have problems all round the pitch excluding the keeper. Yesterday’s problems were mainly from the sidelines rather than on the pitch.

Why was our best player (Alter) on the bloody wing? It took him out of the game making him ineffective. It also made us lopsided. Hoilett point blankly refuses to knock the ball past the defender and take him on. Instead always cutting back looking for support. Why start Peltier instead of Richards? Pelts gives his all but just like Manga in that position, he would get skinned every time. Morrison has looked nervy every game this season. Yet again didn’t get tight enough to his man. Is he undroppable? Multiple times yesterday Camarasa and Arter were struggling as Ralls was awol marking nothing. Ralls is another player who has brought little to the team this year, but cannot be dropped. How bad must Paterson or Damour be in training??? Yes Damour remember him. Zohore just doesn’t seem bothered. I thought seeing him with Bobby could spark some life into the team, but there was nothing. What has Paterson got to do to get decent game time?
As a team we seem bereft of any ideas. This is summed up nicely by the way we kick off. Why for the love of God and all things Holy do we ALWAYS do the same thing and lump it long to the right?!? 99% of the time it either goes out for an opposition throw or our winger Mr super tall Hoilett) is beaten in the air and we immediately give away possession. It’s either insanity or poor management. Take your pick.
The positives from yesterday were Cunningham looked decent and so too did Etheridge again. Didn’t think he was at fault for any of the goals.

The pre-season transfer window debarcle in which NW failed to strengthen will ultimately cost us dearly. I don’t believe it was Tans fault. The amount we spent compared to everyone else was just crazy. I’m sure that if NW had gone to Tan and said I really want this player, he would of had him. Just look at the teams now in the Championship. It’s an incredibly difficult league to get out of. This year is slowly turning into just a money making exercise.

The Team needs shaking up for Burnley...

.......................Etheridge...........................
.............Manga...Bamba...Cunningham............
Richards..........................................Bennett
..........................Arter..............................
.........Camarasa....................Murphy.............
........................Paterson............................
......................Bobby/Ward.........................

Subs: Smithies. Morrison. Damour. Ralls. Hoilett. Bobby/Ward,

How right you are!