CONTROVERSIAL QUESTIONS, BUT...

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby stentona » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:43 pm

1. Who honestly thinks ANY manager would keep us up with our current squad?

2. Should Warnock be the first Premier casualty & someone else be given a chance? (not my view but a genuine question)

3. Would you prefer a season in the Championship with this squad and a decent WLD record?

Really enjoyed last season but this is the exact opposite as far as I'm concerned. Embarassing (the results not the team) in the glare of the national media, who love to rub salt in the wounds.
stentona

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Controversial questions

Postby Aramore » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:51 pm

Today's not the day for this. I don't think anyone seriously exected anything other than a heavy loss.

Next week against Burnley is when we have to perform.
64JACK wrote:
ThomasC wrote: :lol: your my favourite poster :ayatollah:

Actually, your mine as well! The avator clinches it for me, as sometimes I do imagine I'm talking too a sensible lemon in sunglasses! :laughing6:
Aramore

Postby DEANO » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:52 pm

Poor poor transfer window this was always on the cards
DEANO

Postby City Slicker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:56 pm

stentona wrote:1. Who honestly thinks ANY manager would keep us up with our current squad?

2. Should Warnock be the first Premier casualty & someone else be given a chance? (not my view but a genuine question)

3. Would you prefer a season in the Championship with this squad and a decent WLD record?

Really enjoyed last season but this is the exact opposite as far as I'm concerned. Fkn embarassing (the results not the team) in the glare of the national media, who love to rub salt in the wounds.

1. No
2. No
3. Yes
City Slicker

Postby Grangetown blue » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:59 pm

I honestly think we got a worse team than the last time we went up
Grangetown blue

Postby stentona » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:03 pm

Aramore wrote:Today's not the day for this. I don't think anyone seriously exected anything other than a heavy loss.

True in some ways but with Malky's team we had a few good results against 'top' teams. Also, I thought Warnock's selection today made us more vulnerable ... Peltier, Cunningham ... no Bennett or Bamba ... Hmmm
stentona

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:06 pm

Probably be the easiest away win to forecast for the entire season. Anyone who could'nt see this coming obviously has very limited football knowledge. Just about every man and his dog knew this was on the cards, apart from some posters on this forum who amazingly thought we could beat not only Man C, but Chelsea as well. We are not the only side who will get well and truly stuffed by currently, one of the best sides in Europe.

Those who know the slightest bit about the game would know that we can't compete against these sort of teams. You would have to live in a complete fantasy world to think anything different. No fun being on the end of a result like this, but certainly expected as can be seen by the odds you could get at the bookies.

There will be plenty on here who will remember the times when we lost regularly at Ninian Park to sides like Port Vale, Hartlepool and many others. I remember watching Cambridge Utd stick seven on us at NP. That's when you realise whatever is happening right now, we are a million miles further on compared to those days, which were only about 15 years back.

Like many others have said, our season will not be decided by how we do against the likes of Man City, Arsenal & Chelsea.
Steve Zodiak

Postby City Slicker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:16 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:Probably be the easiest away win to forecast for the entire season. Anyone who could'nt see this coming obviously has very limited football knowledge. Just about every man and his dog knew this was on the cards, apart from some posters on this forum who amazingly thought we could beat not only Man C, but Chelsea as well. We are not the only side who will get well and truly stuffed by currently, one of the best sides in Europe.

Those who know the slightest bit about the game would know that we can't compete against these sort of teams. You would have to live in a complete fantasy world to think anything different. No fun being on the end of a result like this, but certainly expected as can be seen by the odds you could get at the bookies.

There will be plenty on here who will remember the times when we lost regularly at Ninian Park to sides like Port Vale, Hartlepool and many others. I remember watching Cambridge Utd stick seven on us at NP. That's when you realise whatever is happening right now, we are a million miles further on compared to those days, which were only about 15 years back.

Like many others have said, our season will not be decided by how we do against the likes of Man City, Arsenal & Chelsea.

The trouble is Steve you have to speculate to accumulate and without investment it can be very easy to slip back to those dark days of yore.
City Slicker

Postby stentona » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:21 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:Probably be the easiest away win to forecast for the entire season. Anyone who could'nt see this coming obviously has very limited football knowledge. Just about every man and his dog knew this was on the cards, apart from some posters on this forum who amazingly thought we could beat not only Man C, but Chelsea as well. We are not the only side who will get well and truly stuffed by currently, one of the best sides in Europe.

Yes probably the easiest to forecast. But How many other Prem teams will lose to them 5-0 at home? Pressure on us now to beat Burnley. Like I said in a previous thread I hope we can get our mojo back.
stentona

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:31 pm

City Slicker wrote:

The trouble is Steve you have to speculate to accumulate and without investment it can be very easy to slip back to those dark days of yore.

I don't think we will go back to the bad old days as I hope we would never find ourselves in such dire financial trouble again. I agree with you about speculating to accumulate, but we accepted that would not happen in return for playing in blue. We have had a difficult start, but we have some winnable games coming up. Too early to panic.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Wayne S » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:34 pm

No
No
No
Wayne S

Postby krabb » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:08 pm

Stick with what we got and try the best we can...... :ayatollah:
krabb

Postby Llan_Blue » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:22 pm

stentona wrote:1. Who honestly thinks ANY manager would keep us up with our current squad?

Really enjoyed last season but this is the exact opposite as far as I'm concerned. Fkn embarassing (the results not the team) in the glare of the national media, who love to rub salt in the wounds.

What results have been embarrassing??

Your attitude is embarrassing to be honest.
Llan_Blue

Postby stevee1966 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:30 pm

Aramore wrote:Today's not the day for this. I don't think anyone seriously exected anything other than a heavy loss.

Shame Burnley have picked up firm, just in time for us to play them.

No one expected a result today but i can't see where a win will come from. Dropping points against 10 man Newcastle and Huddersfield certainly hasn't helped our cause.
stevee1966

Postby llan bluebird » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:57 pm

Its plain to see that Vinny is trying to recoup as much as he can. Warnock knows the score, who else is going to come in and potentially trash their reputation mid season ?

Last seasons expectation was to try to flirt with the playoffs, but somehow with a squad not thought capable Warnock got us in the the treasure trove of the premier league. Vinny gets a second chance at the money, but this time looks to recoup as much as possible. We don't have the players, the best we can hope for is to fluke 17th.

I prefer the championship, the spread is closer and the games more entertaining for the non neutral.But and its a big but, the money is in the premier league and thats part of the reason the championship is so good. I guess only 6 maybe 7 (Everton) really believe they are premier league clubs, the other 13 know that someday their time will be up and its the championship or even worse if you don't have your shit together.

I am just enjoying this season as we could have been playing Rotherham today.
llan bluebird

Postby phildavies » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:10 pm

6 games in 3 of which were against top 6 clubs calm down lads we will be fine.
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby CF23 Bluebird » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:26 pm

Ffs, we got beat by a team that have spent nearly a billion pounds on players. Did anybody seriously expect us to beat them today. It was always going to be like this this year.
CF23 Bluebird

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:37 pm

CF23 Bluebird wrote:Ffs, we got beat by a team that have spent nearly a billion pounds on players. Did anybody seriously expect us to beat them today. It was always going to be like this this year.

Incredibly only half the fans who made a prediction on the match thread went for a Man C win. Have to wonder if certain fans have actually watched us this season. Same sort of predictions for Chelsea. You would expect members of a football forum to know a bit about the game, and yet even people I know with only a passing interest in the game gave us no chance today. As you say, could anyone seriously believe we would beat them today.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Dahboy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:47 pm

phildavies wrote:6 games in 3 of which were against top 6 clubs calm down lads we will be fine.

I get the calm down thing, but can you explain your claim we will be fine. Are you suggesting we will stay up? give me the three teams that will finish below us because I'm struggling to do that even at this early stage in the season.
Dahboy

Re: CONTROVERSIAL QUESTIONS, BUT...

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:48 pm

Doubt if pep could keep this squad up, no point in sacking NW especially with championship in mind next season, no wouldn't prefer championship we are in premiership. :occasion5:
pembroke allan

Postby 2blue2handle » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:52 pm

The squad does look weak and I know we had a small budget but I'm not sure we spent it to wisely. The next week week will show what direction we are heading in.
2blue2handle

Postby Sven » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:55 pm

I heard the same three questions being asked on Radio 5 Live's '606' programme with Jason Mohammad and a certain John Hartson

I think Jason Mohammad was (as you stated before, so assume you got the OP questions from there ;) ) trying to stay as positive as he could, but John Hartson was a little more forthright with his views...

Certainly not the anti-Cardiff rhetoric some would assume

Far from it and in response to one Cardiff caller saying "most (whatever that means) Cardiff supporters were pretty resigned to relegation", Hartson simply raised the questions of "Why wouldn't you want to try to stay in the Premier League once you got there?"

He also raised the question "Is it time to consider the future of Neil Warnock?"

He added that "Warnock stated last season he wasn't sure about the Premier League" and "maybe his comfort zone is the Championship"

It's not something I agree with, as he's galvanised the club and brought us this far against high odds but I do understand why some would ask the question after a tough start to the season

Modern football is very much in the 'here and now' and I just hope a win next week changes the mood! :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:57 pm

2blue2handle wrote:The squad does look weak and I know we had a small budget but I'm not sure we spent it to wisely. The next week week will show what direction we are heading in.

I suppose our total budget was just about enough to buy one half decent player with true PL quality. Still, most fans accepted a return to blue would mean no more money from Mr Tan. I seem to recall a lot of fans say they would prefer to watch us play in Div 3 in blue rather than the PL in red. We got what we asked for and now have to hope for the best.
Steve Zodiak

Postby 2blue2handle » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:59 pm

Sven wrote:I heard the same three questions being asked on Radio 5 Live's '606' programme with Jason Mohammad and a certain John Hartson

I think Jason Mohammad was (as you stated before, so assume you got the OP questions from there ;) ) trying to stay as positive as he could, but John Hartson was a little more forthright with his views...

Certainly not the anti-Cardiff rhetoric some would assume

Far from it and in response to one Cardiff caller saying "most (whatever that means) Cardiff supporters were pretty resigned to relegation", Hartson simply raised the questions of "Why wouldn't you want to try to stay in the Premier League once you got there?"

He also raised the question "Is it time to consider the future of Neil Warnock?"

He added that "Warnock stated last season he wasn't sure about the Premier League" and "maybe his 'comfort zone' is the Championship"

It's not something I agree with, as he's galvanised the club and brought us this far against high odds but I do understand why some would ask the question after a tough start to the season

Modern football is very much in the 'here and now' and I just hope a win next week changes the mood! :ayatollah:

For me Tan had two options at the start of the season, give Warnock a small budget and sees how it goes or sack Warnock and invest heavily. Both risky.
2blue2handle

Postby Sven » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:00 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:The squad does look weak and I know we had a small budget but I'm not sure we spent it to wisely. The next week week will show what direction we are heading in.

I suppose our total budget was just about enough to buy one half decent player with true PL quality. Still, most fans accepted a return to blue would mean no more money from Mr Tan. I seem to recall a lot of fans say they would prefer to watch us play in Div 3 in blue rather than the PL in red. We got what we asked for and now have to hope for the best.

Steve, isn't the "no money in blue" rhetoric a little old hat now? :?

Not having a go at you here; just observing that Vincent Tan has moved this club on massively regardless of shirt colour :thumbright:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby 2blue2handle » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:04 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:

My issue is more how the money was spent not the amount.
2blue2handle

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:10 pm

Sven wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Not having a go at you here; just observing that Vincent Tan has moved this club on massively regardless of shirt colour :thumbright:

He certainly has. He has only invested a very small percentage of the reported riches the club gets from being a top flight club, and so appears to be keeping his word. I have no problem with what he is doing. I think he is running the club the way a business should be run, and hopefully one day we will be debt free and operating within our means. Who would have thought that day would ever come when the Inland Revenue were taking us to court.
Steve Zodiak

Postby CF23 Bluebird » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:15 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
CF23 Bluebird wrote:Ffs, we got beat by a team that have spent nearly a billion pounds on players. Did anybody seriously expect us to beat them today. It was always going to be like this this year.

Incredibly only half the fans who made a prediction on the match thread went for a Man C win. Have to wonder if certain fans have actually watched us this season. Same sort of predictions for Chelsea. You would expect members of a football forum to know a bit about the game, and yet even people I know with only a passing interest in the game gave us no chance today. As you say, could anyone seriously believe we would beat them today.

Good to see that I'm not the only realist on here Steve and I was there that day at Minoan Park when we got beat 7 - 2 by Cambridge and it was the first match I took my son to who was about 2 and a half then and he was there today as a season ticket holder. If you would have told me that day we would be in a new stadium playing in the best league in the world I would have called for you to be sectioned.
CF23 Bluebird

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:25 pm

CF23 Bluebird wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Good to see that I'm not the only realist on here Steve and I was there that day at Minoan Park when we got beat 7 - 2 by Cambridge and it was the first match I took my son to who was about 2 and a half then and he was there today as a season ticket holder. If you would have told me that day we would be in a new stadium playing in the best league in the world I would have called for you to be sectioned.

If I had told you that after we had just lost 7-2 I would have sectioned myself. ;)
Steve Zodiak

Postby City Slicker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:27 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Sven wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

He certainly has. He has only invested a very small percentage of the reported riches the club gets from being a top flight club, and so appears to be keeping his word. I have no problem with what he is doing. I think he is running the club the way a business should be run, and hopefully one day we will be debt free and operating within our means. Who would have thought that day would ever come when the Inland Revenue were taking us to court.

Steve, I agree with you that Tan is keeping his word and it always was "no red no money". I genuinely have respect for the man for keeping his word. I for one would much prefer lower league football in blue than anything in any other colour.

I also have some sympathy for your concern about finances running riot and the possible doom that could entail. None of us want to go back to those days. However, and with no desire to criticize Tan, my argument is that he is witholding investment not for altruistic reasons but simply because he is trying to package up the club to achieve the best price he can on sale. I contend he has no intention of developing the club any further. That might have a knock on advantage of not overstretching our finances but, on the other hand, every genuine fan wants to see their club succeed.

I believe that we need new owners to achieve that and, if handled correctly, that doesn't necessarily mean putting the club in financial jeapurdy. The likes of Bournemouth, Burnley, Brighton, Leicester and Watford have demonstrated this.
Last edited by City Slicker on Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
City Slicker

Next

Return to General Chat