Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Bobby Reid

Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:37 pm

Are we expecting Bobby Reid to Improve and become more clinical as the season goes on?

at the moment he's not cutting any mustard but he's getting chances/

certainly worrying that we paid £10 million for him.

:bluebird: :bluebird: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Bobby Reid

Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:43 pm

The little i've seen of him i'm surprised Warnock signed him and not someone more physical although he fits in as much he covers a lot of ground. To early for me to judge him.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:47 pm

2blue2handle wrote:The little i've seen of him i'm surprised Warnock signed him and not someone more physical although he fits in as much he covers a lot of ground. To early for me to judge him.

Its the physical side i'm worried about because even Zohore struggles and he's a physical presence.

whether it was rumor or a genuine target we needed to Land that Deeney signing, he would have made the difference.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:26 pm

I would say he was signed to work off the main striker like he did at bristol not as the main man i thought he was going to feed off zohore which has not been tried yet playing zohore on his own is a waste of time in the prem,reid was so close to scoring at Chelsea last week it just shaved the post

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:27 pm

He does too much for me personally. He's obviously very good at dribbling and has good footwork in tight spaces but the majority of the time he can keep it simple by taking 1 or 2 touches and then passing the ball on but he tends to end up spending too much time on the ball allowing the opposition to deny him space and he then loses the ball.

And as mentioned by the OP, he's had chances but has failed to score as of yet. I think it'll all come with experience and after a run of games he'll find his feet and get used to the pace of the league and should start to become more clinical with his finishing and distribution of the ball.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:28 pm

2blue2handle wrote:The little i've seen of him i'm surprised Warnock signed him and not someone more physical although he fits in as much he covers a lot of ground. To early for me to judge him.

Not a surprise on the physical side for me. You've got to get a balance. Hoilett was probably our most consistent performer last season and he's probably the least physical.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:43 pm

Seems a bit early to judge him. Only played 6 games for us. Could easily turn out to be a poor buy, but could just as easily end up being one of our best. Way too early to tell. Probably would'nt get over excited about Kane if you were just basing your opinion on what he has done recently.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:59 pm

TAP_Sheep wrote:

Not a surprise on the physical side for me. You've got to get a balance. Hoilett was probably our most consistent performer last season and he's probably the least physical.

Yeah but I just didn't think he would want another small player, he likes the bigger player generally. The whole point of Patterson playing the number 10 was because he gave us that physical edge so thought he might have gone for a different type of player.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:07 pm

PW7 wrote:Are we expecting Bobby Reid to Improve and become more clinical as the season goes on?

at the moment he's not cutting any mustard but he's getting chances/

certainly worrying that we paid £10 million for him.

:bluebird: :bluebird: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

He looks fairly decent and is young... worth £10m? Not a chance at the moment. We could have used someone bigger/stronger... still give it more time maybe he will come good, won't mind if he can bag 2 vs Man City ;-)

Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:23 pm

If he'd have scored that bicycle kick Vs arsenal we'd all be raving and saying we got a bargain.

The only truth is that 10m isn't much in today's market. I hope he does well and will cheer him all the way (Hattrick tomorrow would be nice).

Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:31 pm

Think he’s done well tbh and gives 100% every game unlike zohore and madine, our style compared to Bristol city is different so I think he’s just adjusting and when he does I think he’ll be a great buy for us

Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Incredible these posts, 6 games in against premiership opposition including Arsenal and Chelsea and he’s not played in all the games. He’s going to be a great little player, he’s small but so what he works his socks off went close Saturday.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:53 pm

Unlucky bicycle kick against Arsenal ,and inches past the post against Chelsea. "Fine margins"
I'm willing to give him a lot more time ;)

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:16 pm

He’s done just as bad as every other player, they’ve all been shit out of our league unfortunately, championship team playing in the premier league end of.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:52 pm

I was disappointed with him when he came on at Huddersfield, but I was more encouraged with how he played against Arsenal and Chelsea. He is capable of creating something when he gets the ball in the final third in dangerous positions and he works hard. He's only started against Arsenal and Chelsea, let's judge him more fairly after the Burnley game.

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:28 am

T1JMO wrote:He looks fairly decent and is young... worth £10m? Not a chance at the moment. We could have used someone bigger/stronger... still give it more time maybe he will come good, won't mind if he can bag 2 vs Man City ;-)

He's 26 in 5 months, not exactly 'young' in football

Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:30 am

He's an extremely talented young player with huge potential. It's remarkable that some here don't seem to find that obvious, yet if some journeyman player got lucky and scored two goals in three games they'd be thinking he was the new Bobby Charlton.

I don't think this boy has played six competitive games for the club yet has he ? Yet people seem ready to write him off.

Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:55 am

nojac wrote:Unlucky bicycle kick against Arsenal ,and inches past the post against Chelsea. "Fine margins"
I'm willing to give him a lot more time ;)

:thumbright:

Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:31 pm

Just needs a goal. His touch is letting him down at times, but he’s got a fair bit of talent.

He’ll come good

Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:34 pm

Improving game on game

Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:37 pm

Just needs a goal. His touch is letting him down at times, but he’s got a fair bit of talent.

He’ll come good

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:03 pm

To be fair on him, I actually thought he played really well today! He looked bright and sharp and was giving it his all. Obviously he didn’t stand a chance against 4 Man City players around him all the time.

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:15 pm

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:To be fair on him, I actually thought he played really well today! He looked bright and sharp and was giving it his all. Obviously he didn’t stand a chance against 4 Man City players around him all the time.

Today was the first time I've seen him properly and thought he did well. Against lesser teams I think he would have had greater impact. Needs a goal.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:39 am

Taking into account how little we had the ball, I thought Bobby Reid did well yesterday. He was involved in our better moments in the game, though admittedly they were few and far between. There were occasions yesterday where he kept the ball and linked play. I guess that part of his job as he’s not being played as a striker, more on the hole just behind. He’s had the odd chance and has snatched at them. The whole team has been guilty of that. Will be a good player for us.

Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:50 am

ChippyAl wrote:Taking into account how little we had the ball, I thought Bobby Reid did well yesterday. He was involved in our better moments in the game, though admittedly they were few and far between. There were occasions yesterday where he kept the ball and linked play. I guess that part of his job as he’s not being played as a striker, more on the hole just behind. He’s had the odd chance and has snatched at them. The whole team has been guilty of that. Will be a good player for us.

Agreed, he played well yesterday

Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:26 am

In all fairness he works hard and will probably be a useful player for us in the Championship. However, like most of our squad he's not Premier quality.

Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:03 pm

For me he’s been one of the bright spots of the season. Cracking little player who’ll get better and better.

Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:44 pm

His touch on Saturday with no time against quality opposition was fantastic, would excel in a better team and is a great little player for us.