Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

NEIL WARNOCK SAYS: “WE LACK A BIT OF QUALITY/BUT”

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:12 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

“WE LACK A BIT OF QUALITY / BUT THERE ARE THREE TEAMS WORSE THAN US”

We’ve got to try and eliminate elementary goals," he said. "They’re not just elementary in the Premier League, they’d be silly in the third division, let alone top flight. We haven’t got to gift goals, we’ve got to make them work hard for them.

"I can’t accept it," he added. "I’ve got to say to the players: ‘You can make a mistake once, but if you do it twice I’ve got to leave you out.’ You can’t keep making mistakes that cost us goals, we’ve got to eliminate them.

"So, if you want to be in the team you can’t make the mistakes. Not at this level."

"I don’t think we’re in awe. I thought today we set up all right and I thought second half I felt we started really well second half [against Chelsea].

"Yes we lack a bit of quality don’t we. When you look at one of their players has cost £50-odd million to play in midfield, that’s our squad.”

"I don’t want to go with everybody behind the ball, not have a shot. We tried as hard as we could to attack with what we’ve got against a very good team. And we’re going to do that. We’ll do that next week against Manchester City."

“I think there are three worse teams than us.”

"They’re a good group, and nobody likes losing. But what we’ve got to hope is that the results go for us, and they have today.

"When you look at Man City to come, Liverpool, Spurs, we’re going to be down there in the next few games. But I think we’re quite capable of getting good results, especially at home. Everyone is going to be down, because these teams are going to beat all the teams at the bottom."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: NEIL WARNOCK SAYS: “WE LACK A BIT OF QUALITY/BUT”

Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:44 pm

Fair point by NW but when we cant beat teams with 10 men who are they teams down there with us it is worrying, I have faith I think we will come good but our bench does not fill me with confidence at all or anyone to light the spark if they come on, Madine was terrible when he came on a looked like a parks player, Richards, well things do not seem right with him. It is what it is and we can only do with what we have, can we change it in January, I have no idea. :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:56 pm

I think we lack alot of quality throughout the first team and the squad. That being said, we'll have a better idea how we'll do in the next couple of months when we've played a good mix of sides.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:07 pm

nubbsy wrote:I think we lack alot of quality throughout the first team and the squad. That being said, we'll have a better idea how we'll do in the next couple of months when we've played a good mix of sides.

Jack, I reckon we needed at least 5 quality Premier Players to survive this season.

I agree we have played some of the best and worst and could not beat either including 2 of the worst with only 10 players.

We have the heart, determination and our fans but for me this will not be enough come May.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:15 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
nubbsy wrote:I think we lack alot of quality throughout the first team and the squad. That being said, we'll have a better idea how we'll do in the next couple of months when we've played a good mix of sides.

Jack, I reckon we needed at least 5 quality Premier Players to survive this season.

I agree we have played some of the best and worst and could not beat either including 2 of the worst with only 10 players.

We have the heart, determination and our fans but for me this will not be enough come May.

I can't see us doing much in Jan mate. We didn't have the money to bring anyone in in the summer and with the inflated prices and even less availability I'm not holding my breath. Maybe a loan or two if we're lucky!

Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:28 pm

nubbsy wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I can't see us doing much in Jan mate. We didn't have the money to bring anyone in in the summer and with the inflated prices and even less availability I'm not holding my breath. Maybe a loan or two if we're lucky!

Jack, I have to agree I don’t see us doing anything major.

What also hurts is we have not spent a oenny on our future in the last 10years, our DVP Squad is very very ordinary .

Nothing has been planned at all for the future on our players in the last 10 years, nothing came through.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:31 pm

We all knew about the lack of quality here, and the results to date were only to be expected. Most of us who listened to what was being said at the top also knew that there would be very little money made available for team strengthening. Tan has made it clear several times over recent years that the days of big spending were gone, and actually told us all that in return for us playing in blue there would be very little further investment in the club. I do not believe it takes much thinking to see that he is trying to recoup some of his already considerable losses. I personally doubt that there will be much available to spend in the January window. However, we have a team of grafters and a manager they want to play for, and I am hopeful that we can finish the season with three sides below us. Not easy, but certainly not impossible either.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:47 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

What also hurts is we have not spent a oenny on our future in the last 10years, our DVP Squad is very very ordinary .

Nothing has been planned at all for the future on our players in the last 10 years, nothing came through.

Was Ramsey the last decent academy player to come through?

Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:53 pm

Seems to me that last time we were in this league there were a lot more clubs capable of being relegated whereas now the candidates are less.

It is very early yet and some of the clubs have played more of the top guns than others but in reality can only see Burnley, Huddersfield, City as stand out candidates. Sadly :(

Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:55 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Ramsey, Chris Gunter, Adam Mathews, Joe Ledley etc all before the current regime took over.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:14 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

There's no way Tan will put his hand in his pocket. As far as he's concerned he's achieved much of what he wanted. He got a huge Premier windfall with which to pay himself back, move some debt to equity and (maybe only temporarily) Premier status. All that gets him nearer his goal of selling the club with the minimum of losses.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:11 pm

Danny Says wrote:Seems to me that last time we were in this league there were a lot more clubs capable of being relegated whereas now the candidates are less.

It is very early yet and some of the clubs have played more of the top guns than others but in reality can only see Burnley, Huddersfield, City as stand out candidates. Sadly :(

Not Newcastle? with the fans protests and Ashley giving nothing to Rafa they defo look like a team in trouble. When the whole club don't pull together that club usually ends up being relegated. If Rafa walks I reckon they'd go down tbh.

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:57 pm

I think that Tan needs to back Warnock in January, and if he and the club has any ambition to keep us in the Premier league,and if not and it’s the case that Warnock has to cope with the squad that we’ve got, then it’s no wonder Warnock is sounding so negative, it’s as if we over achieved last season and to expect to be we’re we are, it’s hardly inspiring words for the players or the fans to hear and, “ to hope that other results go for us.”
Saying that I hope Warnock will inspire the team like last year,and keep us in the Premier league, and a lot can happen in the season, as Warnock says, the four home games after Man City we can pick up points. Hopefully we can on Saturday and defy the odds.

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:36 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Same here, I would have liked to have seen 2/3 18-21 year olds signed in the summer.

Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:12 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

depends what you call decent, Mathews and Declan came after Ramsey.
the academy btw was nothing like the multi million pound a year set up it is now when Ramsey came through...worse equipment, worse pitches, less qualified coaches.and a tiny fraction of what is spent now.