VAR trial successful.

A forum for all things Cardiff City

VAR trial successful.

Postby jimmy_rat » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:16 am

Only one decision would have been overturned in the five games during which the Premier League trialled video assistant referees (VAR) on Saturday.

A Leroy Sane goal disallowed for offside in Manchester City's 3-0 home victory over Fulham would have stood.

Replays showed Sane was marginally onside when scoring just before half-time. It would have put City 3-0 ahead.

The trial took place at the central VAR hub, and there was no communication with anyone at the matches.

It is understood the Premier League is happy with how the trial went across all of Saturday's 15:00 BST kick-offs.

The penalty awarded to Bournemouth for handball in their 4-2 win over Leicester would not have been overruled, as it was not considered a clear and obvious error.

In April, Premier League clubs voted against introducing VAR for the 2018-19 campaign.

After VAR tests at individual fixtures last season, the Premier League wanted to see how the system coped with several games at the same time.

As with last season, it will be used in the EFL Cup and FA Cup, but only at top-flight grounds.

It was in operation at 19 games last term, a number it is thought will rise to about 60 this season.
jimmy_rat

VAR trial successful.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: VAR trial successful.

Postby davids » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:26 am

I thought towards the end of the game there was a question over whether Patterson was tripped in the area by one of the Chelsea players as he was getting up from a challenge in the penalty area - thought they could have had a look at that and I'm sure they would have if it was in the other penalty box.
davids

Postby ffs » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:10 pm

davids wrote:I thought towards the end of the game there was a question over whether Patterson was tripped in the area by one of the Chelsea players as he was getting up from a challenge in the penalty area - thought they could have had a look at that and I'm sure they would have if it was in the other penalty box.

Exactly. VAR is there to help the big teams out, overall. It needs to be rejected
ffs

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:58 pm

davids wrote:I thought towards the end of the game there was a question over whether Patterson was tripped in the area by one of the Chelsea players as he was getting up from a challenge in the penalty area - thought they could have had a look at that and I'm sure they would have if it was in the other penalty box.

They would have looked at all incidents but var was not live yesterday it was only to see if can be used simultaneously in multiple game's! But think you are right about it happening in other box, at end day any decision made var or not is open to refs interpretation and big clubs will always get benefit of doubt. :o
pembroke allan

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:09 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:Only one decision would have been overturned in the five games during which the Premier League trialled video assistant referees (VAR) on Saturday.

A Leroy Sane goal disallowed for offside in Manchester City's 3-0 home victory over Fulham would have stood.

Replays showed Sane was marginally onside when scoring just before half-time. It would have put City 3-0 ahead.

The trial took place at the central VAR hub, and there was no communication with anyone at the matches.

It is understood the Premier League is happy with how the trial went across all of Saturday's 15:00 BST kick-offs.

The penalty awarded to Bournemouth for handball in their 4-2 win over Leicester would not have been overruled, as it was not considered a clear and obvious error.

In April, Premier League clubs voted against introducing VAR for the 2018-19 campaign.

After VAR tests at individual fixtures last season, the Premier League wanted to see how the system coped with several games at the same time.

As with last season, it will be used in the EFL Cup and FA Cup, but only at top-flight grounds.

It was in operation at 19 games last term, a number it is thought will rise to about 60 this season.

Presume you've got info from somewhere as to var decisions? But the sane goal the debate on tv was about whether other man c touched ball on way to goal? if he did he was offside but by all accounts he didn't so goal would have been allowed with var, but that means var will be used on all penalty area incidents not the clear and obvious mistakes that var was set up for, As yesterday was not clear and obvious by any stretch of the imagination. Var won't stop arguments if anything cause more especially when decision goes against the likes of us and Huddersfield ect in favour of the big clubs :old:
pembroke allan

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:29 pm

The sooner it’s implemented the better.

The only people who don’t want it are those living in the past.

Surely the clubs will approve it for next season.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:49 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:The sooner it’s implemented the better.

No one's living in past fans do not want decisions being made by super slow motion replays 100 miles from game! At end day ref makes what he thinks is good decision no one sees anything wrong but var takes look At it see a leg getting touched before the ball in super slow motion and tells ref he's wrong? Is that right for football, what about the poor ref it will totally undermine him and will lead to ref blowing for a pen at every opportunity so that var can tell him if he's right/wrong? Thats whats happening in rugby with tmo and that started out way var is proposed :old:
pembroke allan

Postby DandoCCFC » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:56 pm

I think VAR was used fantastically in the WC as I weren't a major supporter of it, just don't see it working in the UK.

Some double standards do come out as everyone praises it when it doesn't have any involvement with a team they support e.g the WC but if it was used here people would bemoan it when it involves their team.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby Sam ReaN » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:10 pm

VAR never needed for our match against Chelsea
Also On The Sam ReaN YouTube Channel
Cardiff City Highlights On Bits From The Action
The ReaN Show Series 1-6
CardiffFanTV / On Facebook & YouTube
Vlogging Adventures
Video Games
SUBSCRIBE IN 2024
Sam ReaN

Postby Carlossus » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:34 pm

I thought it was a definite foul, I was at the perfect angle to view, apart from that and one or two occasions more in the latter part of the game I thought the refs general performance was quite good, on the whole I dont often give refs any praise,
Carlossus

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:01 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:I think VAR was used fantastically in the WC as I weren't a major supporter of it, just don't see it working in the UK.

Some double standards do come out as everyone praises it when it doesn't have any involvement with a team they support e.g the WC but if it was used here people would bemoan it when it involves their team.

World cup really didn't prove anything as there was very few contentious decisions, in fact no more than in any normal game! The majority of the decisions were refs being given opportunity to watch an incident they deemed no pen to see it slowed right down and take another look and they changed their minds because of it, except for handball when var appeared not to know what accidental handball was? So couple of different decisions were made after review, all will see his manipulation of the game by players and time wasting at pens which was very evident at WC :old:
pembroke allan

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:05 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:The sooner it’s implemented the better.

No one's living in past fans do not want decisions being made by super slow motion replays 100 miles from game! At end day ref makes what he thinks is good decision no one sees anything wrong but var takes look At it see a leg getting touched before the ball in super slow motion and tells ref he's wrong? Is that right for football, what about the poor ref it will totally undermine him and will lead to ref blowing for a pen at every opportunity so that var can tell him if he's right/wrong? Thats whats happening in rugby with tmo and that started out way var is proposed :old:

The bottom line is clubs have lost millions due to mistakes. It’s cost clubs relegations and trophies.

VAR will significantly reduce that. The majority of football fans and clubs in the UK now want it, especially after it was used so well at the World Cup (when people were telling us it was going to ruin the game). It’s inevitably going to come in next season and I for one think it will improve the game.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Return to General Chat