The Anthem

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The Anthem

Postby BluebirdWhitchurch » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:52 pm

this goes for both wales and city games, can we stop pulling out the anthem from our arse when we don’t have anything else to sing? completely takes away the magic from moments such as woodburn’s goal or the belgium game
BluebirdWhitchurch

The Anthem

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: The Anthem

Postby Bananas » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:03 pm

BluebirdWhitchurch wrote:this goes for both wales and city games, can we stop pulling out the anthem from our arse when we don’t have anything else to sing? completely takes away the magic from moments such as woodburn’s goal or the belgium game

Your on your own butty. We love it and singing it in the English capital sends shivers down our spines. Keep it up my fellow welshmen and Europeans!!!! :old: :ayatollah: :thumbup: :bluebird:
Bananas

Postby 65Blue » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:06 pm

It hardly inspires those not Welsh and we dont have any in the team, except from a fleeting vusit from jazz today
65Blue

Postby City Slicker » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:26 pm

Sad there's not more City songs. Pick & Shovel would have been great today.
City Slicker

Postby shinyBlueGlue » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:28 pm

Not a fan of national songs at a City game. At nationals different as the team is Welsh.
City Till I Die
shinyBlueGlue

Postby tcblue » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:18 pm

100% nonsense, the anthem right before Woodburn's goal was pure magic.

The English always sing their dirge at us, it looks great when we blow them away with our magic.

The anthem needs to be sung a lot more.
tcblue

Postby BluebirdWhitchurch » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:47 pm

tcblue wrote:100% nonsense, the anthem right before Woodburn's goal was pure magic.

The English always sing their dirge at us, it looks great when we blow them away with our magic.

Not denying woodburn’s goal was magic. The whole point is that singing it all the time will make moments such as that less magic, should be saved for when something special is happening
BluebirdWhitchurch

Postby Bananas » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:48 pm

65Blue wrote:It hardly inspires those not Welsh and we dont have any in the team, except from a fleeting vusit from jazz today

Hwyl fawr then butt :wave: :wave:
Bananas

Postby nubbsy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:07 pm

65Blue wrote:It hardly inspires those not Welsh and we dont have any in the team, except from a fleeting vusit from jazz today

So f*cking what, we're a Welsh club with Welsh fans so we sing the Welsh anthem.
nubbsy

Postby speechbubble » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:21 pm

f**k off
Hen Wlad fyn hadau any time every time
speechbubble

Postby 103 Barmy Army » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:37 am

I’ve never understood Cardiff fans unwillingness to sing anything from our national team, whether it be football or rugby, but happily sing along to the generic English football songs that are sang up and down the country.

I thought the Welsh anthem sounded brilliant yesterday, as did “My Little Pick and Shovel” and “Men of Harlech” with the words and added to an extremely loud and passionate backing. Bluebirds! :bluebird:
103 Barmy Army

Postby JJ1927 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:49 am

BluebirdWhitchurch wrote:this goes for both wales and city games, can we stop pulling out the anthem from our arse when we don’t have anything else to sing? completely takes away the magic from moments such as woodburn’s goal or the belgium game

Agree with you on this. Its being over played at the moment. I wasnt counting but it seemed to have been sung at least 4 times yesterday. That moment when everyone sang it when Wales needed one more lift to hold on against Belgium was special.Support yesterday was excellent so don't want to over critisize.
JJ1927

Postby Bluebird Warrior » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:57 pm

Love the national anthem being sung. We're a welsh club and our supporters are 95% welsh so why not sing our country's anthem when it sounds amazing. Even Neil Warnock as an Englishman said it sends shivers down his spine. Cymru am byth.
Bluebird Warrior

Postby TERRYB » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:02 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:Love the national anthem being sung. We're a welsh club and our supporters are 95% welsh so why not sing our country's anthem when it sounds amazing. Even Neil Warnock as an Englishman said it sends shivers down his spine. Cymru am byth.

Have to agree , it is spine tingling. :bluescarf:
TERRYB

Postby bluesince62 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:20 pm

tcblue wrote:100% nonsense, the anthem right before Woodburn's goal was pure magic.

:clap: well said,it's the best anthem in the world!!
bluesince62

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:40 pm

TERRYB wrote:
Bluebird Warrior wrote:Love the national anthem being sung. We're a welsh club and our supporters are 95% welsh so why not sing our country's anthem when it sounds amazing. Even Neil Warnock as an Englishman said it sends shivers down his spine. Cymru am byth.

Have to agree , it is spine tingling. :bluescarf:

Only thing that tingled my spine against Chelski was £15 for two pints and a hot dog, nearly fecking collapsed :o
1980s Bluebird

Postby Charlie Harper » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:01 pm

Only thing that tingled my spine against Chelski was £15 for two pints and a hot dog, nearly fecking collapsed :o[/quote]

My advice is give up hot dogs :thumbup:
Mad bad and dangerous to know
Charlie Harper

Postby City Slicker » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:25 pm

bluesince62 wrote:

:clap: well said,it's the best anthem in the world!!

Argentina's is pretty special mind
City Slicker

Postby rumpo kid » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:27 am

A national anthem is exactly that. Cardiff City are not a national club, and do not represent a country. We should stick to our own songs.

Turning it into egg ffs..
rumpo kid

Postby barry boy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:28 am

At Chelsea it was good the first time, but each repeat was noticeably a little quieter each time.

I agree save it for the big moments, or inspiration moments, not along side we're the greatest team in the world !

City fans at Chelsea were VERY good, from start until way after the finish.
barry boy

Postby RYANBLUE » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:13 pm

Havent got a problem with it being sung - in fact its quite powerful.

I JUST WISH PEOPLE WOULD LEARN THE FKIN WORDS END OF 1st VERSE & 2ND ARE DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RYANBLUE

Postby 103 Barmy Army » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:33 pm

rumpo kid wrote:A national anthem is exactly that. Cardiff City are not a national club, and do not represent a country. We should stick to our own songs.

Which songs that we sing are deemed solely Cardiff City related? We seem to nick most of them from English football teams.

“Men of Harlech” originated from the military, namely a siege of a castle in the 1400’s and “Pick and Shovel” was adopted by the Welsh miners long before it graced the terraces. Cardiff City Football Club are not a Regimental outfit or involved in the Mining Industry, yet we still sing them.

It could be that the issue lies with the “anti-rugby” brigade, but at Chelsea the variety of songs added to the occasion and is much better than repeating the same ones over and over in my opinion.

Anything is better than the silence of a few seasons ago and if the singing of the Welsh anthem is the biggest gripe of the fans, it shows how far we’ve come as a club. :thumbup:
103 Barmy Army

Postby montyblue » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:11 pm

Altogether "GLAD GLAD"
montyblue

Postby dogfound » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:07 pm

rumpo kid wrote:A national anthem is exactly that. Cardiff City are not a national club, and do not represent a country. We should stick to our own songs.

yep..bunch of drunk people singing something they have learned parrot fashion and actually get wrong..
fortunately the opposing fans have no idea ..
dogfound

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:56 pm

RYANBLUE wrote:Havent got a problem with it being sung - in fact its quite powerful.

I JUST WISH PEOPLE WOULD LEARN THE FKIN WORDS END OF 1st VERSE & 2ND ARE DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've noticed this :laughing6:

Also when people start clapping after the 1st verse and only 25% realise it isn't finished :laughing5:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby rumpo kid » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:23 pm

Bang on mate, what Cardiff has to do with Harlech is a mystery to me...sounds shite anyway as it’s not really sung...no-one knows the words..

Pick and shovel is different, as many fans were miners, tho’ not so many as time goes by. The club was once owned by Mine owners.

To say we steal songs from English clubs is fairly correct. But since the distinction is made, why don’t we resign from the English Leagues, and play in Wales...that should suit the Welsh nats, most of whom freely speak a foreign tongue they purport to despise.
rumpo kid

Postby City Slicker » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:55 pm

rumpo kid wrote:Bang on mate, what Cardiff has to do with Harlech is a mystery to me...sounds shite anyway as it’s not really sung...no-one knows the words..

Pick and shovel is different, as many fans were miners, tho’ not so many as time goes by. The club was once owned by Mine owners.

To say we steal songs from English clubs is fairly correct. But since the distinction is made, why don’t we resign from the English Leagues, and play in Wales...that should suit the Welsh nats, most of whom freely speak a foreign tongue they purport to despise.

It's starting to sound like the egg. We'll have Calon Lan and Hymns and Arias next. I don't like the generic songs but I love Cardiff City songs.
City Slicker

Postby BluebirdWhitchurch » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:07 pm

Absolutely embarrassing today shitting it out at 0-4
BluebirdWhitchurch

Postby krabb » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:30 pm

A since when has that been a city song....leave it with the rugby :ayatollah:
krabb

Postby Once a blue always a blue44 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:07 pm

I like the anthem sung but not as much as it’s used. Perhaps once per match or 2 would be enough. It loses its magic when sung all the time.
Once a blue always a blue44

Next

Return to General Chat