Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Solve the Gary Madine riddle "

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:36 pm

Solve the Gary Madine riddle

By Dominic Booth

Thursday 6th September 2018

Where does Gary Madine fit in? Nobody at Cardiff City seems to know right now, but it's feasible to say he's currently the club's fourth choice striker if you consider that Reid, Ward and Kenneth Zohore all appeared before him against Arsenal.

Warnock has continually defended the £6million purchase of Madine.

So if he thinks the former Bolton frontman can play a role in the Premier League, he needs to work with him on the training pitch and ensure Madine knows his job.

So far this season, it has felt like a final desperate roll of the dice to throw on Madine in the 88th minute in the hope of hitting long balls towards him. Cardiff need to work on an effective Plan B in which Madine is prominent.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " Solve the Gary Madine riddle "

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:42 pm

A few minutes at the end of games is all he'll see, providing our strikers don't get injured.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:00 pm

The Madine situation reminds me of what happened to Frédéric Gounongbe. He never recovered from that terrible miss against Birmingham City and Madine has the baggage of that missed penalty against Wolves.

It seems once the manager losses trust in a player it's a downhill spiral.

I still think GM has a role to play but from his perspective Jamie Ward's performance against Arsenal is bad news as JW will be the preferred back up or even the main striking option.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:01 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:The Madine situation reminds me of what happened to Frédéric Gounongbe. He never recovered from that terrible miss against Birmingham City and Madine has the baggage of that missed penalty against Wolves.

I still think GM has a role to play but from his perspective Jamie Ward's performance against Arsenal is bad news as JW will be the preferred back up or even the main striking option.

Danny Ward mate Danny Ward :lol:

Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:17 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:The Madine situation reminds me of what happened to Frédéric Gounongbe. He never recovered from that terrible miss against Birmingham City and Madine has the baggage of that missed penalty against Wolves.

:oops: :oops: :lol:

Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:51 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Solve the Gary Madine riddle

By Dominic Booth

Thursday 6th September 2018

Where does Gary Madine fit in? Nobody at Cardiff City seems to know right now, but it's feasible to say he's currently the club's fourth choice striker if you consider that Reid, Ward and Kenneth Zohore all appeared before him against Arsenal.

Warnock has continually defended the £6million purchase of Madine.

So if he thinks the former Bolton frontman can play a role in the Premier League, he needs to work with him on the training pitch and ensure Madine knows his job.

So far this season, it has felt like a final desperate roll of the dice to throw on Madine in the 88th minute in the hope of hitting long balls towards him. Cardiff need to work on an effective Plan B in which Madine is prominent.

Warnock will always defend Madine because he will never admit he wasted 6 million on a striker who simply can't score a goal

Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:53 pm

Please dont say 6 million. That's big corn teritory of a cock up. Closer to 4 i think.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:47 pm

I thought he did very well indeed during his brief appearance against Arsenal and looked for once very comfortable on the ball.
I've repeatedly said that people are writing him off far too soon and whilst I can understand the doubts he can certainly still come good for the club.

I'm hesitant to criticise Danny Ward, but I honestly think he might be just a little bit slow at thus level and so I don't think the matter is yet settled between these two players

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:25 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:

Of course it's Danny not Jamie :oops: We have had too many Ward's recently :lol:

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:36 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:I thought he did very well indeed during his brief appearance against Arsenal and looked for once very comfortable on the ball.
I've repeatedly said that people are writing him off far too soon and whilst I can understand the doubts he can certainly still come good for the club.

I'm hesitant to criticise Danny Ward, but I honestly think he might be just a little bit slow at thus level and so I don't think the matter is yet settled between these two players

I thought he gave a brilliant performance in his 5 minutes against Arsenal. :laughing5: :laughing5:
I would love to have the chance of a bet that Ward beats Madin e in a sprint. :shock: :shock: the
At the moment th a riddle is why NW bought GM!
BUT
Madine may still have a role IF he can work in partnership with Reid. He is taller and MAY be a decent header of the ball (i.e. He is taller NOT quicker than Reid, and KZ is not much good in the air).

As we haven't seen a lot of GM....we live in hope that Warnock did not drop a clanger in buying him. :thumbup:

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:43 pm

If we are not given a chance at chealsea start him the first half and see if he can prove himself if he f...s up bring him off half time and stick him on the brush painting the gates at the cardiff city stadium and any other jobs that need doing he know' s he' s on borrowed time and knows he has to take his chance in 45 mins, last chance for me.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:28 pm

He could quite easily serve the tea and coffee under the Ninian Stand :lol: :lol: :lol:
But got a gut feeling he could come good :o :thumbup:

Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:06 pm

At the end of the day we as a team ain't gunna score many goals, we need other players to chip in with a few goals. We just want to see commitment off the player and do well if not then they know where the door is. From what I've seen of madine it's not a lack of trying. He just need someone to run off him. Because he gets bullied all the time hes on his own.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:58 pm

Steward work or forking the pitch half time

Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:32 am

Nuclearblue wrote:He could quite easily serve the tea and coffee under the Ninian Stand :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great idea and I think he'll become very good at it. Give the lad a chance, let him practice a lot making brew after brew and I definitely believe our Gary will make brilliant cuppas.

Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:22 pm

Lengee wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:I thought he did very well indeed during his brief appearance against Arsenal and looked for once very comfortable on the ball.

I thought he gave a brilliant performance in his 5 minutes against Arsenal. :laughing5: :laughing5:
I would love to have the chance of a bet that Ward beats Madin e in a sprint. :shock: :shock: the
BUT
Madine may still have a role IF he can work in partnership with Reid. He is taller and MAY be a decent header of the ball (i.e. He is taller NOT quicker than Reid, and KZ is not much good in the air).

As we haven't seen a lot of GM....we live in hope that Warnock did not drop a clanger in buying him. :thumbup:

You misquoted me of course, but what I said was true and the problem so far has been that Gary Madine has not performed at his best since joining us. It's always hard to know why when that happens, which it often does, but it's usually a loss of confidence.
He may well feel overwhelmed and at this point he's obviously under pressure so it's strange that you don't want to encourage positive progress, however little time he had on the field.
His record and Sir Neil's judgement show that he's a good player and it'd be to everyone's advantage to spark him up and see him reach his potential, so I wonder why you're driving the problem home so hard. Perhaps you think it's just choosing the right player who will magically perform every time, but any and every player especially a goal scorer is liable to go through these bad patches .
If he scores even a lucky goal and one or two things start to go right for him then it's more than possible that he'll find his touch and be a heroic figure in the future. Sometimes the only answer is a change of clubs, but we're a long way off that

Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:25 pm

City Slicker wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:He could quite easily serve the tea and coffee under the Ninian Stand :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great idea and I think he'll become very good at it. Give the lad a chance, let him practice a lot making brew after brew and I definitely believe our Gary will make brilliant cuppas.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:09 pm

I thought t.
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
Lengee wrote:

BUT

You misquoted me of course, but what I said was true and the problem so far has been that Gary Madine has not performed at his best since joining us. It's always hard to know why when that happens, which it often does, but it's usually a loss of confidence.
He may well feel overwhelmed and at this point he's obviously under pressure so it's strange that you don't want to encourage positive progress, however little time he had on the field.
His record and Sir Neil's judgement show that he's a good player and it'd be to everyone's advantage to spark him up and see him reach his potential, so I wonder why you're driving the problem home so hard. Perhaps you think it's just choosing the right player who will magically perform every time, but any and every player especially a goal scorer is liable to go through these bad patches .
If he scores even a lucky goal and one or two things start to go right for him then it's more than possible that he'll find his touch and be a heroic figure in the future. Sometimes the only answer is a change of clubs, but we're a long way off that

I thought that I would resurrect this thread, because the Gary Madine riddle continues....
AND I think that rather than continually starting new threads, some should just be kept as stickies that can be added to.
I try to be supportive of all City players and as mentioned previously we live in hope that he will suddenly get some confidence and "form". And
just as I wouldn't praise his 5 mins c Arsenal neither would I slag him off after a brief cameo against Chelsea.
As stated before I can only see him having any role of he can work in partnership with Reid. ((which was one of the reasons Iwanted us to get Tammy Abrahams :sad7: - litt!e did I know that we were trying!! :o ))

I assume that Neil Warnock has looked at Reid in combination with each of our 3 strikers and it appears that he sees little sign of any "partnership" developing with KZ. Hence he brought on Gary late in the Chelsea game.....For his aerial threat/ presence??
IF THIS IS THE CASE IT IS VERY DISAPPOINTING. While
KZ has shown little aerial ability, he seems to have far more quality in other areas than GM and has had little chance at Prem level as yet.
Zahore is the type of player who needs a run in the team for match fitness and arm around the shoulder for confidence..I still think he could be part of the answer. Why at 6ft 3 he can't be coached to be better at heading is perhaps the Kenneth Zahore riddle. :laughing5:
By the law of averages Gary Madin e will score the odd goal for us, but, unfortunately,my gut feeling remains that even an in form GM would still not be premier quality. I do hope Ken gets a run of games And debut a striker after Christmas :thumbup:

Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:52 pm

He didn't even perform against Norwich. So far he seems less effective than both Tomlin and Pilks. We needed to get rid of Championship players such as Madine and Connolly and sign some class....Tan will have to cough up in January.