Paterson upfront???

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Paterson upfront???

Postby blue lagoon » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:25 pm

He's quickish, good in the air and a good finisher???????
WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUE!
blue lagoon

Paterson upfront???

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Patterson upfront???

Postby Wayne S » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:36 pm

I've said on another thread that we are set up to play with a target man with his back to goal.

With that in mind Zohore is the best.

If we ever play a passing game with the striker being on the end of things then Paterson may be an option.

But it's early days and Zohore"s job is to make chances for Reid, Murphy and Hoilett. It'll come good.
Wayne S

Postby bullerlever » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:51 pm

Can't be any worse than zohore
bullerlever

Postby Stokebluebird » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:08 pm

Worth a shout, he has played everywhere else lol
Stokebluebird

Postby jockinwales » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:42 pm

blue lagoon wrote:He's quickish, good in the air and a good finisher???????

Agree 100%. Top goal scorer last season playing the late arrival in the box role just behind Ken. Would mean dropping Junior which would be very hard. Callum would need to do Junior's defensive work. :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluebird: :old:
jockinwales

Postby Bluedriver » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:39 pm

Is that Patterson who can’t defend?
Bluedriver

Postby Bluedriver » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:27 pm

Is that Patterson who can’t defend?
Bluedriver

Postby Bluesman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:00 am

As we rely on corners, free kicks and long balls into the box Zohore is not our man. His heading ability is non-existent. Give Madine a run in the side playing this way. If it does not work then we have to change our still of play by playing the ball on the ground. This may suit Zohore. We have to do something to get goals.
Bluesman

Postby dogfound » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:22 am

Bluesman wrote:As we rely on corners, free kicks and long balls into the box Zohore is not our man. His heading ability is non-existent. Give Madine a run in the side playing this way. If it does not work then we have to change our still of play by playing the ball on the ground. This may suit Zohore. We have to do something to get goals.

these corners,free kicks and throw ins..your not just awarded a set amount of each..you have to be in a dangerous attacking position to win them in the first place and Zohore contributes to that big time...
dogfound

Postby soldierblue1880 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:49 am

blue lagoon wrote:He's quickish, good in the air and a good finisher???????

As long as we dont play him in midfield
soldierblue1880

Postby blue lagoon » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:49 am

He took that goal like a proper striker. Glad you are taking my advice Nei!!!!
WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUE!
blue lagoon

Postby Charlie Harper » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:55 pm

blue lagoon wrote:He took that goal like a proper striker. Glad you are taking my advice Nei!!!!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Mad bad and dangerous to know
Charlie Harper

Postby BlueMoon1974 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:32 am

Charlie Harper wrote:
blue lagoon wrote:He took that goal like a proper striker. Glad you are taking my advice Nei!!!!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

This blue lagoon knows is onions
BlueMoon1974

Postby BlueMoon1974 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:01 am

His onions, lol.
BlueMoon1974

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:15 am

Think needs to watch Patterson all game because past 4 games he as hardly won a header and never looks like scoring yesterday thought was going to miss... We need a goal scorer who gets into box Patterson is not best option. :old:
pembroke allan

Re: Paterson upfront???

Postby Melsuttonholyboots » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:41 pm

Still banging on about Patters comrads, well he's banging um in. End of.Our best option. Glad some of you lot ain't picking the team if I'm being honest, me. See you experts at Watford, maybe ho ho ho.
Melsuttonholyboots

Postby Willo Cardiff » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:42 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Think needs to watch Patterson all game because past 4 games he as hardly won a header and never looks like scoring yesterday thought was going to miss... We need a goal scorer who gets into box Patterson is not best option. :old:

Who is then? Please enlighten me...
Willo Cardiff

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:04 pm

Willo Cardiff wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Think needs to watch Patterson all game because past 4 games he as hardly won a header and never looks like scoring yesterday thought was going to miss... We need a goal scorer who gets into box Patterson is not best option. :old:

Mickey mouse! You tell me how a right back is a goalscoring centre forward all of a sudden? We all know NW put him there because good in air and suites way we play but past 4 games he's won very little in headers as teams worked it out and certainly he's not answer to our scoring problems but judging by your response guess he is....... :laughing6:
pembroke allan

Postby 2blue2handle » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:30 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Willo Cardiff wrote:

Mickey mouse! You tell me how a right back is a goalscoring centre forward all of a sudden? We all know NW put him there because good in air and suites way we play but past 4 games he's won very little in headers as teams worked it out and certainly he's not answer to our scoring problems but judging by your response guess he is....... :laughing6:

I don't really think we should be referring to him as a right back anymore. I think in two years he has only played there a couple of times for us.
2blue2handle

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:52 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Willo Cardiff wrote:

I don't really think we should be referring to him as a right back anymore. I think in two years he has only played there a couple of times for us.

True but Scotland other week played him at back? But surely you cannot call him a striker either? I just don't think he is performing as well as being made out, he hardly won header Saturday how many goals as he created recently? same in previous 4 games! not sure we will stay up relying on him to make or score goals..... :old:
pembroke allan

Postby Willo Cardiff » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:57 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Willo Cardiff wrote:

At the moment he is yes, But come January I hope we bring a striker in.
Willo Cardiff

Postby 2blue2handle » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:47 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Willo Cardiff wrote:

True but Scotland other week played him at back? But surely you cannot call him a striker either? I just don't think he is performing as well as being made out, he hardly won header Saturday how many goals as he created recently? same in previous 4 games! not sure we will stay up relying on him to make or score goals..... :old:

I would say a midfielder who has been used at right back and upfront. He has said himself he doesn't like playing right back. I just think referring to him as a right back is more for effect than anything (not just you but media).
I've never thought he wins that much but he plays the role because he can finish and has a decent return since he has been upfront but more so his energy to press and cause mayhem. His goal against Southampton a good example, would any of our others strikers have kept running to force the.mistake? I'm unsure.
2blue2handle

Postby phildavies » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:54 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Willo Cardiff wrote:

He won a few headers and created chances by working hard closing people down etc. The problem is other people missed those chances e.g see Murphy yesterday. Anybody we announce of football knowledge should be able to look at his body shape and see he is and never was/will be a right back. He is Taylor made to be a striker from his physique and work rate. Plus he is pretty calm in front of goal and was our top scorer last year dispute missing a lot of the season.

Our main problem is creating the chances of he gets more service Patterson will score even more than his already very good return this season.
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby cardiffbornbred » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:57 am

Are you sure that Paterson has not won any headers in the last 4 games because to me it looked like he has been competing strongly. I looked at the statistics website called whoscored.com and in the last 4 games he was won 8, 11, 8 and 8 headers.
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/25384 ... m-Paterson

It is harsh to say he is not the best option. Since he has been the starting striker he has scored 4 goals in 9 games and is our leading scorer. Whatever happens in January we know that Callum will do his best for the team even if it is off the bench.
cardiffbornbred

Postby Melsuttonholyboots » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:54 am

Pembroke Allen, Patterson is banging um in. , and I don't see us making that many chances for him either. There has also been a number of occasions when he has got free in the box, only for others to shoot wide or fail to find him. Think your looking for that rainbow mate. Too much see air in Pembroke maybe. ?
Melsuttonholyboots

Postby Lengee » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:03 pm

I give him all the credit for giving 100% and chasing down defenders etc.
Also be does seem to score some goals. Partly by hard work and some skill and partly through Good fortune. That said I don't think he is a premiership class centre forward. If we relied on him all season I think we'd go down. I also do not think Madine is prem quality. God knows what to make of Ken Zahore who has the potential but has so far not delivered. I assume NW thought Reid would combine with a big forward but this has not happened as yet.
All points to bringing in a striker in January! Hopefully finding a gem who can make the difference. Let's hope. :thumbup:
Lengee

Postby Steve Zodiak » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:43 pm

If you discount Kane's penalties, he has scored two more than Paterson.
Steve Zodiak

Postby KBK-13 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:43 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Willo Cardiff wrote:

At the moment he is our best option upfront. Do I want to rely on him there all season? No, it’s the position we need to improve most.
KBK-13

Postby Melsuttonholyboots » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:17 pm

See how much it will cost to get better then. And no guarantees in football, Patters could well go on and prove people wrong,seems to know where the net is,didn't Josh Mcginness do well? Keeper to a striker.
Melsuttonholyboots

Return to General Chat