Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

VICTOR CAMARASA: WHY DEADLINE DAY SIGNING COULD BE A COUP

Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:14 am

Why Cardiff City’s deadline day signing could turn out to be a good deal for the club
By Dian Stanchev

Why signing Victor Camarasa is a good deal for Cardiff City this season

Cardiff City completed a loan deal to sign Real Betis midfielder Victor Camarasa on deadline day, as per BBC. In doing so, manager Neil Warnock has certainly bolstered the club’s ranks. But what can the Spaniard bring to Cardiff and is the deal a wise move?

Camarasa, 24, started his career in the Valencia youth setup, having grown up in the local community. However, 10 years after joining the Mestalla outfit, he moved to the youth setup of neighbours Levante, following a small period with a non-league side.

He went on to play for Levante B, before being promoted after just one year. During this time, he also represented Spain’s U21 side on four occasions.

Between 2014 and 2016, he defended the crest of Levante’s first-team. Camarasa played in 71 matches in all competitions in that time, scoring 5 goals.

During the 2016/17 campaign, he was loaned out to Alaves. He enjoyed a fruitful season with the club, appearing in 37 games and netting 3 times. Eventually, he was signed by Real Betis. In his first year there, Camarasa made 26 appearances and managed one goal.

The midfielder is undoubtedly a top-class talent. In fact, five years ago, even Barcelona and Real Madrid were taking notice. As per Mundo Deportivo, in September 2013, the El Clasico giants were both keen on signing Camarasa that year.

As far as his playing style is concerned, Camarasa is a box-to-box midfielder. He has an excellent pass range and is always on the lookout for a key pass, often picking out forward runs from the central area. His biggest strength, however, is his ability to retain the ball and that could prove important to Cardiff City this season.

The 6ft midfielder is strong on the ball and can work wonders on both ends of the pitch. Camarasa often makes forward runs and he times them quite well, offering support in attacking areas at the right times.

Camarasa isn’t a defensive midfielder, meaning he will not play in the holding role instead of Aron Gunnarsson. Instead, he should sit next to Joe Ralls in front of Gunnarsson, taking the place of Callum Paterson. Of course, this is just an assumption, but it looks like Cardiff have bagged themselves a good deal. Only time will tell how successful it is in reality.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: VICTOR CAMARASA: WHY DEADLINE DAY SIGNING COULD BE A COU

Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:37 am

Was really surprised that he didn’t come off the bench second half at Bournemouth when we were 1 down. Yes Casamara has only been with the club for a short while but we are not exactly blessed with quality and there is only 38 games in a season.

We need to use all of our better players & not have them warming the bench as both Murphy & Casamara did over the weekend. Looking forward to seeing him in action against Newcastle and I guess that he will probably start on the bench.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:48 am

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Was really surprised that he didn’t come off the bench second half at Bournemouth when we were 1 down. Yes Casamara has only been with the club for a short while but we are not exactly blessed with quality and there is only 38 games in a season.

We need to use all of our better players & not have them warming the bench as both Murphy & Casamara did over the weekend. Looking forward to seeing him in action against Newcastle and I guess that he will probably start on the bench.

It's a long season and all of the squad will get their chance at some point. :D

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:03 am

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Was really surprised that he didn’t come off the bench second half at Bournemouth when we were 1 down. Yes Casamara has only been with the club for a short while but we are not exactly blessed with quality and there is only 38 games in a season.

i do hope your correct and he does become one of our better players..but at this point what is it based on.?

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:27 am

He can only be judged if he is ' a coup' if he plays.

Something is needed to improve our sterile central midfield.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:29 am

dogfound wrote:

i do hope your correct and he does become one of our better players..but at this point what is it based on.?

My thoughts exactly. Let’s be candid, most of us had never heard of him before he was linked.

There will be a few who did, if they watch a lot of Spanish football. But not the majority of us.

Hopefully he proves to be a good signing.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:35 pm

Would play Arter in front of the back 4 with Ralls and Camarasa in front of him in midfield.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:07 pm

Our players suit 4-3-3 and that should benefit Camarasa....however, not sure how Reid would fit into that formation.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:01 pm

I would be completly shocked if camarasa played from the start unless he blew neil away in training, i wish he would throw him in and see what he can do but neil is cautious and just can' t see him starting but i find it's the only way sometimes playing on the tranning ground is completly different to playing infront of a fullhouse and the adrenaline flowing as an example ben woodburn's debut for wales, but i am just a fan not a manager and what do i know.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:38 pm

The attached article was written a year or two back.
http://inbedwithmaradona.com/100-2016/2 ... r-camarasa

Seems like he has something to prove and the City management may get more from him :thumbup: