Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Ben Stokes

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:23 pm

Call me a cynic - but if that video footage of Stokes 'defending himself' was a Cardiff City fan knocking out a couple of opposition fans, as opposed to being an England cricketer, the not guilty verdict may just not have been reached!!!

Re: Ben Stokes

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:31 pm

Certainly looked the aggressor to me. Maybe we should sign him up for our midfield!

Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:20 pm

mugsy wrote:Call me a cynic - but if that video footage of Stokes 'defending himself' was a Cardiff City fan knocking out a couple of opposition fans, as opposed to being an England cricketer, the not guilty verdict may just not have been reached!!!

Totally depends on the circumstances.

Vince Alm alluded to this on Facebook and mentioned Chelsea away. Much clearer case of affray there.

There have been times where City fans were spotted fighting with other fans without getting sent down. Stoke away being one.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:08 pm

He is a very very lucky boy, if anything it shows how unbalanced our judicial system is.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:29 pm

The old if he weren't a professional in sport thing it would been different card is well overused too much and easily personally.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:05 am

The two gay guys, who were not called to give evidence, made it very clear that Stokes went to their aid after one of them was hit with a bottle. Stokes was pissed and had been acting like Billy Bigbawz but he deserves praise for levelling the two aggressors.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:48 am

The guy broke a jaw an eye socket all in plain view of cctv.....trust me if that had been any old joe public 3 years + easily whatever the 'circumstances'

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:59 am

'the system' in place nobody should have any faith in it. The most vulnerable in society get sucked in whilst other can literally get away with it

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:01 am

stephendavid wrote:The guy broke a jaw an eye socket all in plain view of cctv.....trust me if that had been any old joe public 3 years + easily whatever the 'circumstances'

I know what'll happen to me under the exact circumstances.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:02 am

maccydee wrote:
mugsy wrote:Call me a cynic - but if that video footage of Stokes 'defending himself' was a Cardiff City fan knocking out a couple of opposition fans, as opposed to being an England cricketer, the not guilty verdict may just not have been reached!!!

Totally depends on the circumstances.

Vince Alm alluded to this on Facebook and mentioned Chelsea away. Much clearer case of affray there.

There have been times where City fans were spotted fighting with other fans without getting sent down. Stoke away being one.

I agree Mac. I thought of the Chelsea game when the jury acquitted Stokes of affray where Corky's son was sent down for throwing a traffic cone, which seems a lot less serious than what Stokes was seen to do via CCTV.

However, I remember from the time that Corky Jr. was basically a victim of his own actions (of course) and the wording of the law on affray which had something to do with the numbers involved and the wider danger to the public.

In contrast Stokes seems to have benefitted from the wording of the law and been found not guilty. It is strange that the CPS didn't pursue assault charges because the CCTV would surely show that he used more than reasonable force and therefore couldn't claim self defence.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:07 am

stephendavid wrote:The guy broke a jaw an eye socket all in plain view of cctv.....trust me if that had been any old joe public 3 years + easily whatever the 'circumstances'

And that is why I'm confused why Stokes wasn't charged with assault (probably GBH) rather than affray which is a distinctly different crime. Inflicting such damage on another person would surely breach the minimum force ceiling if Stokes claimed he was acting in self defence.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:48 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

And that is why I'm confused why Stokes wasn't charged with assault (probably GBH) rather than affray which is a distinctly different crime. Inflicting such damage on another person would surely breach the minimum force ceiling if Stokes claimed he was acting in self defence.

Exactly tony

Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:18 am

The cps at the last minute tried to add assault charges but the judge through it out.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:30 am

Jock wrote:The two gay guys, who were not called to give evidence, made it very clear that Stokes went to their aid after one of them was hit with a bottle. Stokes was pissed and had been acting like Billy Bigbawz but he deserves praise for levelling the two aggressors.

Praise for gratuitous violence when he clearly overstepped the line from what was self defence (allegedly) to just pure drunken thuggery?

Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:28 pm

wtf wrote:The cps at the last minute tried to add assault charges but the judge through it out.

Heard that on the news. Can't fault the Judge for doing that as introducing further charges at the last minute is totally wrong.

However, the CPS could have pursued assault charges at the same as they charged Stokes with affray and he could have and should have been tried for assault.

Also his co-defendant should have faced attempted assault charges (throwing the bottle) and you have to wonder why Alex Hales didn't have any charges after being filmed stamping on the co-defendants head.