Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What’s your pre-match routine at the CCS?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:09 pm

What’s your pre-match routine at the CCS?

I suppose it can depend on your circumstances or even family traditions.

My mates and I would meet up in the Canton Hotel and sing old and new Cardiff City songs, aided by the juke box. We hoped at the time others would join us as word spread of the enjoyable and friendly pre-match atmosphere; but despite our efforts over two seasons it didn’t really take off on a mass scale. I personally think a good atmosphere prior to kick off carries through into the stadium.

As my Daughter had a season ticket last season, my pre-match ritual changed from “beer-fuelled sessions” to fine dining in Costco along with my Daughter and friends. However, she’s not renewed her season ticket, so I’m hoping to mix it up a bit.

It got me thinking, does anyone else stick to the same routine and if so, what is it?

Also, are there any particular pubs where Cardiff City fans have a singalong before home fixtures?

Re: What’s your pre-match routine at the CCS?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:19 pm

If it’s a 3pm kick off, will leave here about 8.30am/9am.

I then get to Cardiff about 11.30am and walk down to go and meet friends in the Sand Martin by the stadium until kick off :thumbright:

I’m going to the match this Saturday, but will have to go straight to the stadium due to the early kick off.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:26 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:If it’s a 3pm kick off, will leave here about 8.30am/9am.

I then get to Cardiff about 11.30am and walk down to go and meet friends in the Sand Martin by the stadium until kick off :thumbright:

I’m going to the match this Saturday, but will have to go straight to the stadium due to the early kick off.

That’s a good old trek for a home game, fp! :thumbup:

The kick off day and time massively influences things, I agree, hence we’ve all arranged to meet in the Sand Martin for breakfast this Saturday. I was thinking Saturdays at 3pm, but failed to mention it.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:39 pm

Normally get to the stadium hour and half before kick,couple of pints before going in 10 mins before kick off.A few times a season go in earlier (canton ) for a right skinful :thumbup:

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:52 pm

Last year me and my mate took it in turns to drive down and one of us would have a few pints in the ground. This year though I think we're gonna get the train down when possible so we can both have a few in a pub or in the stadium :occasion5:

Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:44 pm

Used to always start in the neville in grangetown great atmosphere on match days,now thats closed the cornwall few jars followed by a burger on the way up then the match

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:03 pm

The good old days of a skinful in the Bass House and the Napier to join the sparse crowd in the cavernous Bob Bank is a distant memory. :old:

Now its all lattes and wraps :roll:

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:15 pm

Bus - breakfast in Canton - lots of beer and banter in Ivor Davies - stagger to the game. Never buy the overpriced pee tasting beers in the stadium :thumbup:

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:16 pm

joeywills98 wrote:Last year me and my mate took it in turns to drive down and one of us would have a few pints in the ground. This year though I think we're gonna get the train down when possible so we can both have a few in a pub or in the stadium :occasion5:

Do it!! Driving 100% a no-no!!!! :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5:

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:34 pm

stephendavid wrote:Used to always start in the neville in grangetown great atmosphere on match days,now thats closed the cornwall few jars followed by a burger on the way up then the match

What time you fighting Saturday Grangey :laughing6:

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:05 pm

I usually want to leave the house with plenty of time (someone who doesn’t like to be late for things) but my partner is the complete opposite. We live 20 mins drive away when the road Is clear (but it won’t be on Saturday) so I’ve said I want to leave an hour and quarter before the match starts but she’s like...no way that’s far too early! Ohh how I envy those who go for a pint pre match lol! I’m more of soak up the atmosphere and she’s like get in there watch the match and get the hell out of there as quick as poss!

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:07 pm

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:I usually want to leave the house with plenty of time (someone who doesn’t like to be late for things) but my partner is the complete opposite. We live 20 mins drive away when the road Is clear (but it won’t be on Saturday) so I’ve said I want to leave an hour and quarter before the match starts but she’s like...no way that’s far too early! Ohh how I envy those who go for a pint pre match lol! I’m more of soak up the atmosphere and she’s like get in there watch the match and get the hell out of there as quick as poss!

Let your partner go on their own then!! 2 bloody choices!!!!!! Beers in Canton before the game is the best part of the day. Are you a man or a mouse? :? :old:

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:11 pm

Reduced number of sat 3pm kick off's this season mind.......... :banghead:

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:13 pm

Good thread this.

Drive down to Wales (to in-laws) following work on Friday. Saturday train in to Cardiff and meet mate at his flat. Crack open a beer. Catch up on usual shite. Off for a beer and a burger. Then late taxi to stadium just before kick off.

Should probably try and be a bit more sociable with other fans before kick off. Infact, gonna make an effort to try and be this season. So any suggestions welcome.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:14 pm

Bananas wrote:
Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:I usually want to leave the house with plenty of time (someone who doesn’t like to be late for things) but my partner is the complete opposite. We live 20 mins drive away when the road Is clear (but it won’t be on Saturday) so I’ve said I want to leave an hour and quarter before the match starts but she’s like...no way that’s far too early! Ohh how I envy those who go for a pint pre match lol! I’m more of soak up the atmosphere and she’s like get in there watch the match and get the hell out of there as quick as poss!

Let your partner go on their own then!! 2 bloody choices!!!!!! Beers in Canton before the game is the best part of the day. Are you a man or a mouse? :? :old:

Defo a mouse mate! Trouble is we park in the stadium Carpark so we have to drive down together. Usually end up in a row on the way down too lol! Sounds like a comedy show. She gets really impatient in the Carpark too and has been known to hoot and shout at people. You can now understand why I’m the mouse! Lol.

No seriously though, drive down, if have time have a look in the shop and have a nose in the canton stand band.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:53 pm

I rush to the game and then rush back home, before the wife notices I'm not in the garden shed ;)

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:56 pm

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:
Bananas wrote:

Defo a mouse mate! Trouble is we park in the stadium Carpark so we have to drive down together. Usually end up in a row on the way down too lol! Sounds like a comedy show. She gets really impatient in the Carpark too and has been known to hoot and shout at people. You can now understand why I’m the mouse! Lol.

No seriously though, drive down, if have time have a look in the shop and have a nose in the canton stand band.

You need a new Patio mate :D

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:21 pm

nojac wrote:I rush to the game and then rush back home, before the wife notices I'm not in the garden shed ;)

:lol: :lol:

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:38 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
nojac wrote:I rush to the game and then rush back home, before the wife notices I'm not in the garden shed ;)

:lol: :lol:

This is worse than my scenario mate! Lol are you one of an identical twin? That would solve you’re problem and allow you hours out on the town. :D

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:07 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
stephendavid wrote:Used to always start in the neville in grangetown great atmosphere on match days,now thats closed the cornwall few jars followed by a burger on the way up then the match

What time you fighting Saturday Grangey :laughing6:

Sorry lansbury i been shadow boxing out the garden getting ready lol.....he never accepted fella

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:17 pm

Art centre for a few beers (Chapter) then watch the game,back to Canton usually the Clive until hunger takes over then on to the Star for a curry.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:48 pm

Bananas wrote:Bus - breakfast in Canton - lots of beer and banter in Ivor Davies - stagger to the game. Never buy the overpriced pee tasting beers in the stadium :thumbup:

We used to have breakfast and drinks in the Ivor starting about 9am before moving on to the Canton Hotel just after mid-day for a singalong. Didn’t do it for pretty much the whole of last season, but for 2 years running before that. Very similar routine that caters for all of the “big 3”. Food, beer and football.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:54 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:Good thread this.

Drive down to Wales (to in-laws) following work on Friday. Saturday train in to Cardiff and meet mate at his flat. Crack open a beer. Catch up on usual shite. Off for a beer and a burger. Then late taxi to stadium just before kick off.

Should probably try and be a bit more sociable with other fans before kick off. Infact, gonna make an effort to try and be this season. So any suggestions welcome.

Thanks! I was reminiscing on when my Gransha took me down before he died in 1996 and was thinking how we always did the same things at the same times before games. It was much easier back then though as you knew where you stood with kick off times. I bet a lot of fans have similar memories.

As a suggestion, I’m up for getting the singing going in the Canton Hotel (opposite the Ivor Davies) on the Saturday 3pm games (any time after midday) if there’s enough interest. Anyone up for this? :bluebird:

Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:07 pm

Have a skinful.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:46 pm

As a kid the old man would drive down and park up in Canton in the side streets where the church is on the roundabout, was never an issue when 5,000 was a big crowd.

Would walk up and stop in the Newsagents on the corner for Sweets (now a Jamaican gaff I think?)

In ground early, watch warm up, here Tina blast out simply the best, watch us loose, have a Corned Beef Pasty in the plastic wrapping with the badge on the front at half time then walk back to the car and listening to sports report all the results and reports come in on the way home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv_idtcK1-E]

From 1998 up until about 2008/9 first train to Cardiff, normally in Town by 9.30 am depending on who we were playing and what the rumour mill had spun out during the week before and who was turning up Image

Breakfast then on it, bit of skulduggery and normally on it until the early hours.

These days I like to let the train take the strain, have a few beers in town, watch the early game, then get a taxi up to the ground late on, after the game, normally back into town, watch the evening game, train home, chip shop or indian on the way home

Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:59 pm

Get up
Have a shower
Put clobber on
Get in car
Pick up Romanian Ralph
Drive to Canton
Go in Canton Cross
Meet mates in said pub
Order a still water
Order a mixed grill (Its Fooking lovely 2 for a tenner
Walk to ground.
Pretty boring really :D

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:14 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Get up
Have a shower
Put clobber on
Get in car
Pick up Romanian Ralph
Drive to Canton
Go in Canton Cross
Meet mates in said pub
Order a still water
Order a mixed grill (Its Fooking lovely 2 for a tenner
Walk to ground.
Pretty boring really :D

Who the f**k is Romanian Ralph Image

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:42 pm

103 Barmy Army wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:Good thread this.

Thanks! I was reminiscing on when my Gransha took me down before he died in 1996 and was thinking how we always did the same things at the same times before games. It was much easier back then though as you knew where you stood with kick off times. I bet a lot of fans have similar memories.

As a suggestion, I’m up for getting the singing going in the Canton Hotel (opposite the Ivor Davies) on the Saturday 3pm games (any time after midday) if there’s enough interest. Anyone up for this? :bluebird:

I'd be up for that.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:51 pm

Wake up, have a three course breakfast (a shit, a fag and a wank), sink ten panda pops and wait for the away fans on sloper road with my stoney on.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:29 am

nubbsy wrote:Wake up, have a three course breakfast (a shit, a fag and a wank), sink ten panda pops and wait for the away fans on sloper road with my stoney on.

:laughing5: