Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Mendez Laing

Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:21 pm

Merson was commentating on city yesterday and made a good point....he said that the ball was coming straight back at city from Reid playing striker...why not swap him with Laing...he is a big unit..he s quick and Reid !was a winger

Re: Mendez Laing

Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:40 pm

kimble wrote:Merson was commentating on city yesterday and made a good point....he said that the ball was coming straight back at city from Reid playing striker...why not swap him with Laing...he is a big unit..he s quick and Reid !was a winger

My thoughts exactly regarding NML. He was a bright spot yesterday and went passed their full back with ease on a number of occasions. I wondered what he could do if he was running at people from a more central position.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:49 pm

Good point about NML from yesterday, but hopefully that will be Kenny's role when he's fit. :thumbup:

Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:28 pm

In my opinion warnock just got it wrong. I can't see Reid being able to play that role for us. Ward or Medine surely have to be better option. We looked far better when Ward came on and Reid dropped back.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:57 pm

I thought he played well yesterday and was disappointed he went off. Murphy was great when he came on but I think I would have kept Mendez,maybe at the expense of Paterson

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:54 pm

I heard him say that, wouldn't been no different to what we was trying with Reid both not out and out strikers.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:47 pm

Reid looked much better dropping a bit deeper as a No10. I’m hopeful he and Murphy will prove to be great signings.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:02 pm

Mendez in centre is very interesting.

Too many times though over the course of the game the opposition wing backs attack and holliet and Mendez are told to track back to turn us into a 532..from a 433

When hoilet and mendez pick up the ball most the time its in our own half.

Need to stay on the halfway line and make them think twice of going forward.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:06 pm

No it’s a lot more simple than that Reid will play number 10 behind Zohore NML is a winger.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:45 am

phildavies wrote:No it’s a lot more simple than that Reid will play number 10 behind Zohore NML is a winger.

Is he ?

He has pace but very little in the way of tricks, his crossing is very average and his fitness poor. He doesnt track back quick enough to support his full back.

Maybe Merson has a point. Plenty of players are in the wrong position and only shine once moved.

I think a central position could well suit him. Hes big quick and powerful with a fantastic shot on him. Its possible he could make a better striker than a winger.

Bale was a left back when he started now hes a striker

Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:37 pm

Don’t often agree with Merson, but I like the idea of Murphy and Hoilett out wide with NML terrorising in the middle.
Certainly a better eye for goal compared to Big Ken.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:41 pm

Ketteringblues wrote:Don’t often agree with Merson, but I like the idea of Murphy and Hoilett out wide with NML terrorising in the middle.
Certainly a better eye for goal compared to Big Ken.

:lol: not a chance has NML got a better eye for goal then Zohore

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:00 pm

thomasblue wrote:
phildavies wrote:No it’s a lot more simple than that Reid will play number 10 behind Zohore NML is a winger.

Is he ?

He has pace but very little in the way of tricks, his crossing is very average and his fitness poor. He doesnt track back quick enough to support his full back.

Maybe Merson has a point. Plenty of players are in the wrong position and only shine once moved.

I think a central position could well suit him. Hes big quick and powerful with a fantastic shot on him. Its possible he could make a better striker than a winger.

Bale was a left back when he started now hes a striker

I'll buy into that. Yes I'd be prepared to see what he can do in a striker role. Given where we are in the scheme of things we ain't got anything to lose.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:41 am

Reid was a winger!!!!

Valencia and Young were wingers

Bale was a full back

James Collins started out as a striker

Paterson was a fullback

You can move a Centre half to full back and vice versa...so why not a six foot winger to the middle?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:40 am

I remember Warnock making the comment that NML was the best finisher we have... In training.

Could be interesting if we ever looked at a floating front 3

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:36 pm

I was thinking the same about Mendez. I really think it's worth a try....maybe in the Carabao. The problem is how best to use Reid without obvious holding midfielders.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:36 pm

I was thinking the same about Mendez. I really think it's worth a try....maybe in the Carabao. The problem is how best to use Reid without obvious holding midfielders.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:24 pm

NML is built like Antonio of W Ham. Strong, muscular and fast. I think he's played through the middle in the past even though he's a winger. I'd definitely try it in training. See how it goes. :bluescarf: