Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What will the result of Cardiff City v Newcastle United be?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:00 am

Cardiff City win
67%
Newcastle United win
19%
Draw
13%

Total votes : 52

TEAM NEWS “ CARDIFF CITY v NEWCASTLE UNITED “ MATCH THREAD

Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:00 am

CARDIFF CITY v NEWCASTLE UNITED
Saturday 18th August, 12.30pm
Premier League
Cardiff City Stadium

Newcastle have an allocation of 3,020 Away tickets.

17/08/18

Team News :bluebird: :bluebird:

Cardiff could welcome back striker Kenneth Zohore into action on Saturday afternoon which could bolster the Bluebirds attack if he passes a late fitness test. Loan signing Harry Arter could make his debut – Icelandic midfielder Aron Gunnarsson remains out with a knee problem.

The Magpies could hand Salomon Rondon a first start following his loan move from West Bromwich Albion.

Yoshinori Muto could be involved in the Welsh Capital – defender Florian Lejeune remains out with a cruciate ligament rupture and his predicted return date is yet to be confirmed.

18/08/18

Over 30,000 tickets Sold incl 2,500 Newcastle fans :bluebird:

You can pay on the day :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

On Kenneth Zohore

NEIL WARNOCK:

"He’s training fully today and we’ll make an assessment this afternoon. I hope he can be on the bench and then we’ll see if there’s a reaction in the morning."

Squad fit other than Gunners :bluebird: :bluebird:

16/08/18

Injury latest

Some injury updates on Kenneth Zohore and Aron Gunnarsson after both missed last week’s opening day defeat at Bournemouth.

Zohore, who suffered a groin strain, is expected to return on August 18 and Gunnarsson, who missed the clash with the Cherries with a knee injury, is expected to return on August 25.

12/08/18

NEIL WARNOCK:
"Kenneth Zohore got a bit of a groin niggle, but you don't know with injuries, I thought he was going to be fit on Friday, but he just felt it a little bit."
"But you don't know with injuries, I do expect Kenneth to be fit for the Newcastle game"

4BB030C4-E61F-46DA-BBC3-7EC3166CB1F0.jpeg

I can’t make it to the Cardiff City Stadium, is the match on TV?

Yes, the match is live on Sky Sports.

About Newcastle United

Newcastle United Football Club is an English professional association football club based in Newcastle upon Tyne, that plays in the Premier League, the top tier of English football. Newcastle United was founded in 1892 by the merger of Newcastle East End and Newcastle West End, and has played at its current home ground, St James' Park, ever since. The ground was developed into an all-seater stadium in the mid-1990s and has a capacity of 52,354.

The club has been a member of the Premier League for all but three years of the competition's history, spending 85 seasons in the top tier as of May 2016, and has never dropped below English football's second tier since joining the Football League in 1893. They have won four League Championship titles, six FA Cups and a Charity Shield, as well as the 1969 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup and the 2006 UEFA Intertoto Cup. Newcastle United has the ninth highest total of trophies won by an English club. The club's most successful period was between 1904 and 1910, when they won an FA Cup and three of their First Division titles. The club were highly successful in the Premier League in the 1990s and early 2000s without winning any trophies, but have been mostly struggling since the 2006–07 season, and were relegated in 2009 and 2016. They returned to the Premiership for the 2017–18 season after winning the Championship title the preceding year.

Newcastle has a fierce local rivalry with Sunderland, and the two clubs have engaged in the Tyne–Wear derby since 1898. The club's traditional kit colours are black and white striped shirts, black shorts and black socks. Their traditional crest takes elements of the city coat of arms, which features two grey seahorses. Prior to each home game the team enters the field to "Local Hero", written by Newcastle native Mark Knopfler, while "Blaydon Races" is invariably sung during games.

The club has been owned by Mike Ashley since 2007, succeeding long term chairman and owner Sir John Hall. The club is the 17th-highest revenue producing club in the world in terms of annual revenue, generating €169.3 million in 2015. Historically, Newcastle's highest placing was in 1999, when they were the fifth-highest revenue producing football club in the world, and second in England only behind Manchester United.

Previous Meeting

The last time we played Newcastle United was a home game in the Championship, back in April 2017. We lost 2-0 after second half goals by Christian Atsu and Isaac Hayden.

Team News - Predicted Line-Ups

Cardiff City: Etheridge, Peltier, Morrison, Manga, Bennett, Bamba, Ralls, Paterson, Mendez-Laing, Hoilett, Reid

Newcastle United: Dubravka, Yedlin, Lascelles, Clark, Dummett, Ritchie, Shelvey, Diame, Kenedy, Perez, Joselu

Form - Last Three Competitive Games

AFC Bournemouth 2-0 Cardiff City
Cardiff City 0-0 Reading
Hull City 0-2 Cardiff City

Newcastle United 1-2 Tottenham Hotspur
Newcastle United 3-0 Chelsea
Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 Newcastle United

Match Odds

Cardiff City - 17/10
Newcastle United - 13/8
Draw - 9/4

Predictions

Post your predictions below :thumbright:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: LATEST NEWS “ CARDIFF CITY v NEWCASTLE UNITED “ MATCH TH

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:37 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

"Kenneth Zohore got a bit of a groin niggle, but you don't know with injuries, I thought he was going to be fit on Friday, but he just felt it a little bit."
"But you don't know with injuries, I do expect Kenneth to be fit for the Newcastle game"

"Gunnars will probably be a couple of weeks. We're building him up so he doesn't come back and break down again.

There's no need to rush him now because we've got Harry Arter coming in so there's no rush on that."

"We had no real knocks or injuries from the game"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:38 am

:bluebird:

12/08/18

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:43 am

Former Newcastle United striker Alan Shearer on Cardiff City's Premier League prospects, Neil Warnock and the club they must emulate -

By Ian Mitchelmore

Sunday 12th August 2018

Former Newcastle United striker Alan Shearer believes Cardiff City can take inspiration from Huddersfield Town when it comes to battling for Premier League survival this term.

The Bluebirds have been widely tipped for the drop this season and saw their 2018/19 campaign start in defeat as they were beaten 2-0 by Bournemouth at the Vitality Stadium.

But Shearer believes David Wagner's Huddersfield - who secured a 16th place finish in their debut campaign in the top flight last time out - have shown the way for promoted clubs to perform well in the Premier League.

When asked if he expects Cardiff to struggle the most out of the three sides that gained promotion from the Championship last season, Shearer said on Match of the Day:

ALAN SHEARER:

"Yes I do, but what I think they can look at, they can take inspiration from Huddersfield Town achieved last season.

"When you look at the money that has been spent, Fulham came up and spent about £100m, Wolves about £61m and Cardiff have spent about £26m and they've signed six players, four of them are from the Championship.

"They'll be very, very difficult to beat at home. You know Neil Warnock, he'll have them well organised.

"He'll upset a few and his team will upset a few at home but it will be very difficult for them."

Goals from Ryan Fraser and Callum Wilson earned Eddie Howe's side all three points against the Bluebirds on the opening day.

Cardiff will now turn their focus to their first home game of the campaign against Shearer's former side Newcastle on Saturday.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:12 am

Warnock: "We've got a lot to look forward to"

CARDIFF CITY FC

Sunday 12th August 2018

Neil Warnock was in positive spirits as he spoke to the press and media following City's opening-day defeat to AFC Bournemouth.

The Gaffer explained that he took plenty of positives from a game that the Bluebirds grew into on the South Coast.

"I thought we got better as the game went on," began Neil. "On another day, we could have got a result, but it wasn't to be.

"They were better than us in some areas, but not in others. I thought we competed well and we had our chances to score.

"I'm sure they know they've been in a game - they are an established team in the Premier League and we could have got a result here."

With the Bluebirds hosting Newcastle United back at Cardiff City Stadium next weekend, Neil revealed that he's relishing the prospect of a sell-out crowd in the Welsh capital.

"We've got to keep working hard," he said. "We had no Ken Zohore today and one or two midfield players missing too. We've got Harry Arter to come in as well, so I think we've got a lot to look forward to really. It all bodes well for the future.

"Newcastle at home will be a full house and a great atmosphere - I'm looking forward to it."

Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:37 pm

Cardiff v Newcastle tickets finally go on sale just under 3,000.

Now on sale Cardiff v Newcastle tickets, plus details of tickets for NUFC home matches v Spurs, Chelsea, and Arsenal.

NEWCASTLE UNITED FC

August 2018

Cardiff v Newcastle tickets are now on sale.

Friday morning seeing them at last go on sale with the game taking place two weeks on Saturday (12.30pm kick-off on 18 August).

Cardiff put home tickets on sale for the match 17 days ago (17 July) and no explanation by NUFC as to why they have left it so long, especially with it being one of the more awkward away trips of the season.

No announcement by the club that tickets were on sale via their main website or social media but I came across the on sale info by chance, on the ticketing site.

As of this morning (Friday 3 August), the Cardiff v Newcastle tickets are initially on sale to season ticket holders who have at least 25 loyalty points.

It is reported that NUFC have just under 3,000 tickets for the game and it is £30 for adults.

If you are senior (60+) it is £25, 16-21 the price is £20, whilst under 16s you pay £15.

Newcastle’s last trip to Cardiff saw a comfortable 2-0 win in April 2017, goals from Atsu and Hayden in United’s last away game of the season paved the way for that dramatic Championship title win on the final day against Barnsley.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:26 pm

Think we win 2-1 !!

Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:06 pm

Updated

Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:15 pm

Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:27 pm

This is definatly one of the games which we need something and are capable of getting something from.

If he plays the right team it is winnable. If the team that started saturday plays we could be in trouble again

Play Murphy and Arter instead of Bamba and Mendez we have a chance

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:02 pm

Looking forward to this, going to this game.

Think we can get a result as well. Our home form has to be strong against these sorts of teams if we want to stay up, obviously.

I can definitely see Arter, Murphy and Zohore coming in.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:43 am

thomasblue wrote:This is definatly one of the games which we need something and are capable of getting something from.

If he plays the right team it is winnable. If the team that started saturday plays we could be in trouble again

Play Murphy and Arter instead of Bamba and Mendez we have a chance

Completely agree mate. Play the right team coupled with them having a good day at the office and we can win this match. I don’t think it,l be as easy as people think but I’m sure we will really go for it and give it our all. I’m going for a win but also a draw would be good too.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:56 am

2-1 City :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:57 am

Pawson to referee Bluebirds clash

Pawson was the only top-flight referee to brandish a red card during the opening weekend of the campaign, sending off Everton’s Phil Jagielka during the Toffees’ 2-2 draw against Wolverhampton Wanderers.

He was the man in the middle for four of Newcastle’s Premier League fixtures last time out, including their memorable victory over Manchester United on Tyneside and their 1-1 draw with Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool.

Four of the six yellow cards he dished out to United players last season came in one game – the Magpies’ 1-0 defeat at Huddersfield Town, which – just like this weekend’s fixture in South Wales – was their first away trip of the campaign.

On Saturday, he will be assisted by Eddie Smart and Andy Garratt at the Cardiff City Stadium, with Lee Probert serving as the fourth official.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:10 pm

Solomon Rondon on Cardiff

Appears not everyone is dismissing Cardiff’s Premier League credentials.

Newcastle United’s on-loan striker Salomon Rondon says the Magpies will take plenty of confidence from the defeat to Tottenham on the opening day, but doesn’t seem to be taking anything for granted.

“We know that Cardiff are promoted this season, and it is a difficult league for everyone – all of the teams have spent a lot of money to make a good team for the season. It will be difficult, but we just have to think about us – that is more important for the team. It is away, but we just have to think about the win - that is the only way.”

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:11 pm

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:21 pm

4-1 bluebirds :ayatollah: :thumbup: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:26 pm

We have a chance to win as long as the team selection isn’t as poor as it was last Saturday.

I knew we were going to lose as soon as I saw that team last week.

Hopefully Arter makes a big difference.

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:54 am

Brotherly love

Newcastle United’s Jacob Murphy has admitted it will be strange facing his brother, Cardiff City winger Josh, this weekend.

The two have never played each other competitvely before but could come face to face in the Bluebirds’ first Premier League home game of the season.

Speaking to the Daily Star, Jacob said:

It will be strange having to tackle him. We will swap shirts at full time. Or maybe half time and have a go on each other’s teams. The family will be torn.
They have the Newcastle loyalty as fans, but also the son loyalty. They will both want us to have a good game and the best team to win. I want a Murphy goal and a Newcastle win.
We’ve never had a rivalry
We just support and help each other. We’d boost each other up if one wasn’t doing as well. We were there for each other. At Norwich we looked after each other.
I find it strange how other siblings are so competitive because me and my brother are not against each other.
Each club will say they’ve got the better twin. I am ready for that. Our games are different, others say the same. He plays left, I’m on the right. We both play off either foot.
Both quick? Yeah, that’s a strength.
We won’t talk tactics before the game. I want the three points and so does he. We will be giving nothing away.

Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:14 am

Any chance of staying in the prep will be based on home results.
This is a game we have to win we have to beat the teams at the lower end of the league. Early days but we have to go all out for a win give the lads and fans a confidence boost.
I am sure we can do it .
So important to win this sort of game at home but against spurs they looked good got the bar and post played really well unlucky not to win the game.
City win 1-0 .
Just
Fingers and toes crossed

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:24 pm

16/08/18

Injury latest

Some injury updates on Kenneth Zohore and Aron Gunnarsson after both missed last week’s opening day defeat at Bournemouth.

Zohore, who suffered a groin strain, is expected to return on August 18 and Gunnarsson, who missed the clash with the Cherries with a knee injury, is expected to return on August 25.

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:38 pm

Tickets for Newcastle's first away game of the 2018/19 season are now on general sale.

16/08/18

The Magpies travel to Cardiff City on Saturday, 18th August (kick-off 12.30pm BST) and United have been allocated just over 3,000 tickets.

They initially went on sale to season ticket holders with 25 or more away points, then to members last week. From 10am on Tuesday, they went on full general sale.

Prices are £30 for adults, £25 for seniors (60+), £20 for 16 to 21-year-olds and £15 for juniors under the age of 16.

Ambulant/Wheelchair Disabled supporters will pay their age appropriate rate. If requested and currently in receipt of DLA (Disability Living Allowance) for middle/higher rate of care or higher rate of mobility, or standard or enhanced rate of PIP (Personal Independence Payment), the supporter is entitled to receive a ticket for one personal assistant free of charge.
Supporters are advised that a strict no standing policy is in place in Block 123.
Juniors under the age of 13 must be accompanied by an adult.

To purchase tickets, please visit book.nufc.co.uk, call 0844 372 1892 (calls cost 7p per minute plus your network access charge) or visit the St. James' Park box office (Milburn Stand) in person.

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:51 pm

No point pussy footing around on saturday. Play the most offensive team we can and take it to Newcastle.

To that end Peltier, Paterson and possibly Ralls can sit it out for Richards, Arter and Victor.

Hope Zahore is fit.

Re: TEAM NEWS “ CARDIFF CITY v NEWCASTLE UNITED “ MATCH THRE

Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:15 pm

17/08/18

On Kenneth Zohore

NEIL WARNOCK:

"He’s training fully today and we’ll make an assessment this afternoon. I hope he can be on the bench and then we’ll see if there’s a reaction in the morning."

Squad fit other than Gunners :bluebird: :bluebird:

Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:49 pm

17/08/18

Over 30,000 tickets Sold incl 2,500 Newcastle fans :bluebird:

Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:51 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=199489 :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:26 am

Team News

Cardiff could welcome back striker Kenneth Zohore into action on Saturday afternoon which could bolster the Bluebirds attack if he passes a late fitness test. Loan signing Harry Arter could make his debut – Icelandic midfielder Aron Gunnarsson remains out with a knee problem.

The Magpies could hand Salomon Rondon a first start following his loan move from West Bromwich Albion.

Yoshinori Muto could be involved in the Welsh Capital – defender Florian Lejeune remains out with a cruciate ligament rupture and his predicted return date is yet to be confirmed.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:34 am

Just seen a stat saying we have lost our last 11 consecutive games against Newcastle going back to 1981.
Time to change that today, it must be our worse record against a single team

Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:36 am

Concerning that Kenedy will be up against Manga.

Surprised to see the Spanish lad in but interested to see how we get on. Team has a better balanced look than last week.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:30 am

Here we go .....