Striker

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Striker

Postby bridgendbluebird30 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:12 pm

Early days but today highlighted the fact that we need a decent striker up top not only to hold the ball up but to score goals. Clearly Zohore was missed today but it just shows what confidence NW has in Madine if he didn’t come on until the final minutes. Personally I would not have had Ward in the final 25 and Madine is yet to prove himself.

To survive in the Premiership you do need a proven goal scorer & cant believe the numbers that think that we can survive with goals from midfield. Think Zohore may bag a few goals but come the January transfer window a quality striker has to be on the agenda.

May be Chelsea can play with a false number 9 but we are not Chelsea & unfortunately it was painful to see the number of strikers that we passed by in the transfer window. Most Premiership teams now have 2/3 or even 4 quality strikers. Who do we have? For example Everton who are not even a top 6 team have Richarlison, Tosun & Walcott playing in the same game! Even bottom half teams like Watford have Deeney, Gray & the lad who scored 2 today. It makes a difference.

If buying a quality striker is the difference between staying in the top flight or relegation is it worth it?
bridgendbluebird30

Striker

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Striker

Postby blemmy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:47 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Early days but today highlighted the fact that we need a decent striker up top not only to hold the ball up but to score goals. Clearly Zohore was missed today but it just shows what confidence NW has in Madine if he didn’t come on until the final minutes. Personally I would not have had Ward in the final 25 and Madine is yet to prove himself.

To survive in the Premiership you do need a proven goal scorer & cant believe the numbers that think that we can survive with goals from midfield. Think Zohore may bag a few goals but come the January transfer window a quality striker has to be on the agenda.

May be Chelsea can play with a false number 9 but we are not Chelsea & unfortunately it was painful to see the number of strikers that we passed by in the transfer window. Most Premiership teams now have 2/3 or even 4 quality strikers. Who do we have? For example Everton who are not even a top 6 team have Richarlison, Tosun & Walcott playing in the same game! Even bottom half teams like Watford have Deeney, Gray & the lad who scored 2 today. It makes a difference.

If buying a quality striker is the difference between staying in the top flight or relegation is it worth it?

Thank you Bridgend - at last a kindred spirit - not one of the "Stay calm" or the "in NW we trust" brigade!! NW is the best manager we have had since the days of Jimmy Scoular but he can't walk on water or make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

We needed to have been lining up a better striker than we already had as early as July - not in the last half an hour of the window as we tried with the likes of Ings who by then had already had his ears bent by a return to Southampton. As I have said elsewhere on this forum = it has been false economy which will now come back and bite us on the bum for Vincent Tan not to have provided the funds to NW early on in the window to have made a striker a priority - yes he burnt his fingers on Acorn but didn't he learn anything from our previous relegation other than to provide his managers with a shoestring budget just in case another Acorn came along? Surely he learnt enough about NW last season to realise he could be trusted to spend money wisely and carefully and get value for money? As a businessman surely he appreciates the ethos of investing a large part of the £100m we are supposedly receiving (plus we also have the enhanced EPL gate receipts) in strengthening key areas of the team? I bet by January he will wish he had but what will we need to pay for a striker then and will it be trying to lock the stable door after the horse has bolted?

I fear we have made a irretrievable blunder already - please let me be wrong!!

:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:
blemmy

Postby BobbyBlue » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:49 pm

We have ward and Madine who cudnt hit a barn door m, and zahore who will get us 5/6.
BobbyBlue

Postby blemmy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:56 pm

BobbyBlue wrote:We have ward and Madine who cudnt hit a barn door m, and zahore who will get us 5/6.

So I take it you don't think I will be wrong then Bobby?

:sad7: :sad7: :sad7:
blemmy

Postby sootyr2 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:20 pm

if you read team for Newcastle I ve wrote about strikers tell me if I’m right or wrong sorry to put it somewhere else :old: :geek:
sootyr2

Postby bridgendbluebird30 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:23 pm

blemmy wrote:
bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Early days but today highlighted the fact that we need a decent striker up top not only to hold the ball up but to score goals. Clearly Zohore was missed today but it just shows what confidence NW has in Madine if he didn’t come on until the final minutes. Personally I would not have had Ward in the final 25 and Madine is yet to prove himself.

Thank you Bridgend - at last a kindred spirit - not one of the "Stay calm" or the "in NW we trust" brigade!! NW is the best manager we have had since the days of Jimmy Scoular but he can't walk on water or make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

We needed to have been lining up a better striker than we already had as early as July - not in the last half an hour of the window as we tried with the likes of Ings who by then had already had his ears bent by a return to Southampton. As I have said elsewhere on this forum = it has been false economy which will now come back and bite us on the bum for Vincent Tan not to have provided the funds to NW early on in the window to have made a striker a priority - yes he burnt his fingers on Acorn but didn't he learn anything from our previous relegation other than to provide his managers with a shoestring budget just in case another Acorn came along? Surely he learnt enough about NW last season to realise he could be trusted to spend money wisely and carefully and get value for money? As a businessman surely he appreciates the ethos of investing a large part of the £100m we are supposedly receiving (plus we also have the enhanced EPL gate receipts) in strengthening key areas of the team? I bet by January he will wish he had but what will we need to pay for a striker then and will it be trying to lock the stable door after the horse has bolted?

I fear we have made a irretrievable blunder already - please let me be wrong!!

:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

There is no doubt that we needed to strengthen midfield where we were threadbare but next was a striker or ideally both. Some fans think we can survive with goals from elsewhere but nearly every relegated team are going down because they can’t score goals. To me Rondon, Gayle, Musa, Armstrong, Vydra, Ayew, even Lewis Grabban as well as the ones listed in my previous post could have done a job but to cap it all West Ham signed Lucas Perez from Arsenal for 4m, an absolute bargain.

There is no doubt that we missed out on bargains, quality strikers being left out on loan, no fee, just their wages to negotiate. Perhaps City missed a trick?
bridgendbluebird30

Postby Llan_Blue » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:34 pm

It’s been noted on here many times that almost nobody outside players for the top six clubs got into double figures last season.

So no you don’t need a proven goal scorer to survive
Llan_Blue

Postby bridgendbluebird30 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:38 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:It’s been noted on here many times that almost nobody outside players for the top six clubs got into double figures last season.

So no you don’t need a proven goal scorer to survive

Chris Wood? Do you think it would help our cause if we did have a proven striker? How many goals do you think Zohore, Madine & Ward will contribute?
bridgendbluebird30

Return to General Chat