Looking forward to the match but my mind is

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Once a blue always a blue44 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:50 am

Elsewhere today as my father who is 82 had a fall a day ago and has fractured his neck of femur (hip). He’s in hospital and supposed to be having surgery today. A bit of a shock really but also 25 years ago he fractured his femur on the other side and shattered it having metal pins inserted in. That time he was completely fit and able and the fall wasn’t due to being unstable on his feet. This time he fell on his good hip. I worry about the surgery as he’s got other medical problems and also how he’s going to be after it all in terms of bouncing back at his age. Not that 82 is ancient in this day and age but in regards to his other problems and weakness on the other side. Will be thinking of the football today...will take my mind off worrying for 5 seconds but my father will be at the forefront of my mind whatever the result of the football.
Once a blue always a blue44

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Looking forward to the match but my mind is

Postby TheHangedMan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:01 am

I hope your Dad makes a speed recovery. If it's any consolation my 84 year old Mum had a knee replacement a couple of months ago and is now walking round like a spring chicken so hopefully your Dad will be fine. :thumbup:
Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious........
TheHangedMan

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:10 am

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:Elsewhere today as my father who is 82 had a fall a day ago and has fractured his neck of femur (hip). He’s in hospital and supposed to be having surgery today. A bit of a shock really but also 25 years ago he fractured his femur on the other side and shattered it having metal pins inserted in. That time he was completely fit and able and the fall wasn’t due to being unstable on his feet. This time he fell on his good hip. I worry about the surgery as he’s got other medical problems and also how he’s going to be after it all in terms of bouncing back at his age. Not that 82 is ancient in this day and age but in regards to his other problems and weakness on the other side. Will be thinking of the football today...will take my mind off worrying for 5 seconds but my father will be at the forefront of my mind whatever the result of the football.

My mother fell and broke her hip two years ago at the age of 82. Spent 10 days in hospital following operation and has now made a full recovery. Had to have a health visitor visit her for a few weeks when she was first discharged, but is walking fine now although she does use a stick if she has to walk more than around a quarter of a mile. She is up and down the stairs in her house without any problems.
Steve Zodiak

Postby TVB » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:21 am

I hope the operation is successful and your Dad makes a speedy recovery. Whilst we all spend a lot of time watching and talking about football, it is an entertainment and sometimes a welcome distraction from other things in our life. However , at the end of the day family and friends are so much more important. Hopefully you will be watching our highlights on MOTD tonight in good spirit knowing all has gone well with your Dad!
TVB

Postby 103 Barmy Army » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:19 am

The medical profession has come on leaps and bounds from the old days, so he’s in good hands. I hope the operation goes well and he’s back to being himself sooner rather than later.
103 Barmy Army

Postby Once a blue always a blue44 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:51 pm

Thanks for you’re kind replies. It’s crazy sometimes how quick it seems people to bounce back and almost be back to normal within weeks. He ended up not having the surgery today again because the surgeon wants an MRI as I think the fracture is quite difficult to get the full picture on the X-ray and CT. He is having regular pain relief and has eaten thank goodness as he has been starved for 2 days now thinking he is going to theatre only to be cancelled. I’m hoping that the surgery will go ahead tomrw ithout any further delays but will probably be on edge until he’s back on the ward after.

He isn’t a football fan but all of my other family members are..mainly bluebirds...good job really as one less thing for him to worry or get upset about! :)
Once a blue always a blue44

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:18 pm

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:Thanks for you’re kind replies. It’s crazy sometimes how quick it seems people to bounce back and almost be back to normal within weeks. He ended up not having the surgery today again because the surgeon wants an MRI as I think the fracture is quite difficult to get the full picture on the X-ray and CT. He is having regular pain relief and has eaten thank goodness as he has been starved for 2 days now thinking he is going to theatre only to be cancelled. I’m hoping that the surgery will go ahead tomrw ithout any further delays but will probably be on edge until he’s back on the ward after.

He isn’t a football fan but all of my other family members are..mainly bluebirds...good job really as one less thing for him to worry or get upset about! :)

Wishing you and your family all the very best. I am sure your father will look back on this in a few months time as being a bad dream, and one not to be repeated.
Steve Zodiak

Return to General Chat