Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MY THOUGHTS: FIFA WORLD CUP 2018

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:08 pm

The FIFA World Cup is over and what a tournament it has been but was it the best?
Well let me give out my thoughts on this years World Cup.

The Shocking Knockouts
The group stages got interesting but not as interesting as the knockouts as we saw both Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo get knocked out the cup run early on and the shocks did not stop there.

The VAR System
This years World Cup introduced the VAR system where the most important decisions were to be reviewed by the referees behind the tv screens giving any help to the referee on the touchline and on the pitch, we thought we had the last drama decision before the final but it returned again and got France the penalty. In my opinion I thank VAR is the future for Football because it adds to the drama.

A Huligan Free Cup
This is huge heading into the cup in Russia because of what happened in the Euros but throughout the cup we had nothing in terms of violence on or off the pitch with footballers and fans, I think I saw a headline that 2 fans were killed after the France game so sad to see and read because we had such a great World Cup.

England Got Far
England grabbed the nation all over the UK and of course not everyone will be a fan of England but they had a great run which ultimately ended because the team got tired also faded in performance on the pitch, so a great future for England but as a Welshman watch out for Wales.

What has been YOUR favourite moments at this years FIFA World Cup 2018?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: MY THOUGHTS: FIFA WORLD CUP 2018

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:14 pm

My favourite moment was seeing England get knocked out due to the continuos "it's coming home" from the media and those pundits. I loved watching Ian Wright try and defend it all and make a prick of himself.

I though England were average and manipulated their way to a semi spot. 2 years ago in France we got to the semi by winning our group, beating the favourites then finally losing to the winners. England faced none of that so what exactly was great coming from them?

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:36 pm

England were pretty poor, lost anytime they played anyone around their level.

Also enjoyed the group stages.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:27 am

Bakedalasker wrote:My favourite moment was seeing England get knocked out due to the continuos "it's coming home" from the media and those pundits. I loved watching Ian Wright try and defend it all and make a prick of himself.

I though England were average and manipulated their way to a semi spot. 2 years ago in France we got to the semi by winning our group, beating the favourites then finally losing to the winners. England faced none of that so what exactly was great coming from them?

:thumbup: saves me typing all that spot on :thumbup:

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:06 am

Great World Cup,England average but did enough to get to semi.
Some good underdogs performances but in the end quality won it.
Love to see us qualify next time and the likes of Holland and Italy..
The best tournament needs the best teams.