Anyone But England

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Anyone But England

Postby City Slicker » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:13 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
dogfound wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:Is there a real rivalry ? If so its the most one sided since new Newport with us.

I bet if you asked any England fans we wouldn't make their top 10 !

It originates from the eggers where there is a rivalry as only 9 real countries play the game and we play them every year and we are evenly"ish" matched.

I am totally neutral on them. I like a fiver on every game i watch and England are over bet normally, so normally I am against them from that point of view. Cheered them on Tuesday as i had them to win with BTTS and had Lingard anytime and ver 1.5 goals this afternoon. I won't on Thursday as Belgium are my main bet although coming second may be an easier root.

originates from eggers ???...Wales v England football matches been atracting 50k plus crowds both here and in England for the best part of a 100 years.

Not old enough for the 66 world cup but my old man said all of the country were behind England when they won it. We used to go and watch a lot of the home internationals to see the English "stars".

I think this build up of "rivalry" is from the 70's rugby team, especially the Phil Bennett " 'Look what these bastards have done to Wales', ... We've been exploited, raped, controlled and punished by the English — and that's who you are ......" speech.

The rise of the Welsh nationalists in the same era, and the local TV channels playing up their one eyed Welshness has made it trendy.

The funny thing i bet most of the anyone but England mob are Barry boys secretly supporting Arsenal ;) .......

Agree,, it comes from the brain dead eggers
City Slicker

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby CityBlue93 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:06 am

llan bluebird wrote:Not old enough for the 66 world cup but my old man said all of the country were behind England when they won it.

Ur old man knows the whole of the country then? :laughing5: 66 was a year after the tryweryn flooding, and I know people from that area that would just laugh at your face if you asked if the area supported England when they played footie. I grew up in Mid Wales where if you didn't speak Welsh you were a 1% minority and you will struggle to find one person supporting the English football team, or England in any sport for that matter up that way. Welsh nationalism has been a thing long before a f*cking rugby speech in the 70s and to say the English Welsh rivalry only exists because of the fact that Wales play England every year in the 6 nations as you seemed to do earlier is ridiculous.

Nobody is forcing anyone to take up that rivalry, or to participate in it, but it definitely does exist for a range of reasons and you not believing in the rivalry does not make it any less existent or important.
CityBlue93

Previous

Return to General Chat