“ Aron Gunnarrsson poor? “

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby charlieduke » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:11 pm

After his performance today in a poor Iceland team, I can’t see clubs in Europe willing to pay him silly money. Looked very average.
charlieduke

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Gunnarrsson

Postby 2blue2handle » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:14 pm

He has never been more than average.
2blue2handle

Postby wez1927 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:25 pm

Dont resign him ,let him go Warnock
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby davids » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:33 pm

Was found wanting badly last time we were in the Premier League and is now older and more injury prone.

Has been a decent servant for us but we now need better.

Time to thank him for his efforts and move on.
davids

Postby bluestar » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:42 pm

If Warnock offered him a new contract that's good enough for me anybody see him play against Argentina done a good job in messi
bluestar

Postby salopiancity » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:48 pm

Even allowing for the recent injury he looked slow and laboured against good opposition. :old:
salopiancity

Postby BobbyBlue » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:25 pm

bluestar wrote:If Warnock offered him a new contract that's good enough for me anybody see him play against Argentina done a good job in messi

Think you need glasses.
BobbyBlue

Postby scott_w_ccfc » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:32 pm

charlieduke wrote:After his performance today in a poor Iceland team, I can’t see clubs in Europe willing to pay him silly money. Looked very average.

I think the opposite actually, he was one of their better players, if not their best.

Sprayed one excellent Scholes-like pass out wide which even the commentator pointed out. Didn't know he had that in him to be honest.

Whilst I really hope he stays with us, I still think we need to sign another quality midfielder to complement Ralls, and I think that's where the majority of our remaining budget should go now.
scott_w_ccfc

Postby bluebird7291 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:21 am

BobbyBlue wrote:
bluestar wrote:If Warnock offered him a new contract that's good enough for me anybody see him play against Argentina done a good job in messi

Think you need glasses.

Im not a big Gunnarsson fan. But he did. Him and another took it in turns to limit Messi ball time.
I was astounded.
bluebird7291

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:30 am

2blue2handle wrote:He has never been more than average.

This sums it up for me. Whilst Gunnar has a good game in him he has just as many bad ones which even things out as average.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby fred keenor » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:44 am

Worth a contract but certainly not worth breaking the bank for.
He will probably get a better contract elsewhere with a good signing on fee.
Good luck to him , he has done us proud but has not been at the races for quite a while.
fred keenor

Postby Wayne S » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:50 am

Is he on his way to Burnley? Thought I'd seen a report somewhere.
Wayne S

Postby Bluebina » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:24 am

davids wrote:Was found wanting badly last time we were in the Premier League and is now older and more injury prone.

Has been a decent servant for us but we now need better.

Time to thank him for his efforts and move on.

Agreed totally, due to his game a runner, tackler, long thrower and hard worker, with limitations, we have had the best years from him as he is getting older and those injuries will take there toll.

I predict a very limited season for him next year wherever he ends up with months missing due to injuries, when they start they don't stop for these types of player.

Great in the Championship at his best, but now we need much better!!!
Bluebina

Re: “ Aron Gunnarrsson poor? “

Postby joeywills98 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:26 am

charlieduke wrote:After his performance today in a poor Iceland team, I can’t see clubs in Europe willing to pay him silly money. Looked very average.

Can’t fault Gunnarsson for his commitment to us over the years but I don’t think he’s anywhere near Premier League quality now. Too slow now and a lot more injury prone.
joeywills98

Postby joeywills98 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:27 am

Wayne S wrote:Is he on his way to Burnley? Thought I'd seen a report somewhere.

Think he was linked with them either last season or the season before.
joeywills98

Postby Bluebina » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:32 am

joeywills98 wrote:
Wayne S wrote:Is he on his way to Burnley? Thought I'd seen a report somewhere.

Think he was linked with them either last season or the season before.

Don't think they would want him now, he has moved backwards and they have moved forward!!!
Bluebina

Postby Sven » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:43 am

Well, I think the ball is now firmly in City's favour after that performance and I'd guess he'd be very eager to sign his new contract...IF it's still on the table come 1st July! ;)

I'm ambiguous on his staying or going (I didn't like his ultimatum so early in the season) but I'll go with Neil Warnock's assessment on his value to the team/squad for next season :thumbright:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby mugsy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:04 pm

I am amazed that people suddenly have the knives out for Gunnarson. We have already offered him an improved contract and on the pitch after the final game against Reading the fans were chanting 'we want you to stay
mugsy

Postby Aderynlas 1927 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:15 pm

I'd like him to stay another season. Hope he signs .
Aderynlas 1927

Postby paulh_85 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:48 pm

Easily good enough to be in our squad next season
paulh_85

Postby llan bluebird » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:44 pm

never been one of my favourites but he does understand our defensive systems and is a great organiser.

My doubt is his ability to see out another championship season if we go down as i believe he is physically on the downgrade and can't rely on his footballing brain and technique to mask it like Whitts did.

I wouldn't break any pay structure to keep him
llan bluebird

Postby FloridaBluebird » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:16 pm

I think Warnock rates him as one of the leaders in the dressing room. He’s experienced Prem before and relegation woes so has experience to offer. From a playing side, his injuries have started to take their toll, he has lost a yard both running and his throwing. I’d like him to stay, but only really an extension of his contract and have him earn a starting spot - no blue eyes this season.
In a way Iceland and Cardiff are a lot alike in football terms, both minnows amongst the bigger fish - both proving that teamwork and togetherness can achieve the impossible.
FloridaBluebird

Postby Milkybarkid » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:41 pm

FloridaBluebird wrote:I think Warnock rates him as one of the leaders in the dressing room. He’s experienced Prem before and relegation woes so has experience to offer. From a playing side, his injuries have started to take their toll, he has lost a yard both running and his throwing. I’d like him to stay, but only really an extension of his contract and have him earn a starting spot - no blue eyes this season.
In a way Iceland and Cardiff are a lot alike in football terms, both minnows amongst the bigger fish - both proving that teamwork and togetherness can achieve the impossible.

And both have a similar population
Milkybarkid

Postby HarriRhys22 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:13 pm

Gunners was rated Iceland’s second best player in the game, is the Captain of his country and he is one of the first names on Warnock’s team sheet.How many of our players are in the World Cup, many of our supporters favourite Zohore cannot even get in his Nations squad?
HarriRhys22

Postby dogfound » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:29 am

Sven wrote:Well, I think the ball is now firmly in City's favour after that performance and I'd guess he'd be very eager to sign his new contract...IF it's still on the table come 1st July! ;)

I'm ambiguous on his staying or going (I didn't like his ultimatum so early in the season) but I'll go with Neil Warnock's assessment on his value to the team/squad for next season :thumbright:

apparently he didnt sign a new deal last summer because he didnt want to play any more seasons in the championship..NW said ..and added that he fully understood..i do too as it a tough physical marathon every year and he has done it 9 or 10 years now..
where the ultimatum so early in the season comes from i dont know..????????
infact havent seen ANY Gunnerson quotes regarding contracts or ultimatums.
dogfound

Postby Wayne S » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:51 am

dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:Well, I think the ball is now firmly in City's favour after that performance and I'd guess he'd be very eager to sign his new contract...IF it's still on the table come 1st July! ;)

apparently he didnt sign a new deal last summer because he didnt want to play any more seasons in the championship..NW said ..and added that he fully understood..i do too as it a tough physical marathon every year and he has done it 9 or 10 years now..

Have we looked up the NW quotes from last Summer because, if my memory serves me right, he said Gunnarson wants a new challenge and NOT that he wants out of the Championship.

To me it read like Gunnarson just wanted away full stop and the assumption has been it was because he wants out of the Championship
Wayne S

Postby bluemun » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:08 am

Really hope he signs. He wasn't as bad as people have made out....one of their better players. He's a leader and a very committed player. He's got something to prove in the Premier as he was very disappointing last time.
bluemun

Postby paulh_85 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:34 am

Wayne S wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Have we looked up the NW quotes from last Summer because, if my memory serves me right, he said Gunnarson wants a new challenge and NOT that he wants out of the Championship.

To me it read like Gunnarson just wanted away full stop and the assumption has been it was because he wants out of the Championship

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foo ... n-13974765
paulh_85

Postby Sven » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:28 am

dogfound wrote:

I agree Gunnar hasn't commented himself but maybe people should ask why did Neil Warnock put it out there? :?

I think you contradicted your own statement (quote) "he didnt sign a new deal last summer because he didnt want to play any more seasons in the Championship"

What's that, if it isn't an ultimatum of "Promotion or I'm off?" :?

To me, Gunnar was 'hedging his bets' and Neil Warnock was (not so subtly) letting us know for his own reasons

Other players contracts have run down this summer but few of those (Junior Hoillet apart) have been mentioned in similar fashion, have they? :?

Neil Warnock will have had his reasons, you can be sure of that! ;) :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby dogfound » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:58 am

Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I agree Gunnar hasn't commented himself but maybe people should ask why did Neil Warnock put it out there? :?

I think you contradicted your own statement (quote) "he didnt sign a new deal last summer because he didnt want to play any more seasons in the Championship"

What's that, if it isn't an ultimatum of "Promotion or I'm off?" :?

To me, Gunnar was 'hedging his bets' and Neil Warnock was (not so subtly) letting us know for his own reasons

Other players contracts have run down this summer but few of those (Junior Hoillet apart) have been mentioned in similar fashion, have they? :?

Neil Warnock will have had his reasons, you can be sure of that! ;) :ayatollah:

only if you want to change ..doesnt want to play in the championship another season ...into promotion or im off.
and yes hedging bets..or keeping all options open ..thats the whole point in running your contract down surely.?
we are more than happy to sign free agents so therefore should accept players will also leave us for other clubs.

not sure why everyone wants to knock so many of our players for a multitude of reasons after..lets be honest,a remarkable season where the squad all pulled in one direction and made the whole greater than the sum of its parts..
dogfound

Return to General Chat