I love the yellow on our kit

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Once a blue always a blue44 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:20 am

When we used to have it and hope it comes back BUT can someone tell me what the yellow has go to do with? I always assumed it was blue and yellow and white because of the BLUEBIRD colours but I've just googled a bluebird and there's absolutely no yellow on it at all!!!! It's more of an orange so perhaps we should change to blue and orange???
Once a blue always a blue44

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: I love the yellow on our kit

Postby nubbsy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:22 am

Or prehaps not!
nubbsy

Postby Marc1987 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:34 am

Up until the change to red the club badge had a daffodil on it so I would imagine it was something to do with that.
Marc1987

Postby JJ1927 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:40 am

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:When we used to have it and hope it comes back BUT can someone tell me what the yellow has go to do with? I always assumed it was blue and yellow and white because of the BLUEBIRD colours but I've just googled a bluebird and there's absolutely no yellow on it at all!!!! It's more of an orange so perhaps we should change to blue and orange???

It was first brought in in 75/76 I think. The season we were promoted out of the old Third division. Cant remember their being any other reason than the club wanted a change following relagation the season before and it looked nice! We kept it for 4 or five seasons and then abandoned it and it was brought back in the last few years at Ninian until the dreaded red.
JJ1927

Postby dogfound » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:43 am

Marc1987 wrote:Up until the change to red the club badge had a daffodil on it so I would imagine it was something to do with that.

first use of yellow in our kit was 1975...the first use of the badge with the dafodil was 10 years later..
so no...
dogfound

Postby Wayne S » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:19 am

Only ever used prminently for about 8 seasons in all, another 6 if you count the bluebird badge that had a yellow background.

Just a very small part of our history but one many seem to hold in high esteem.

We were brown, amber and black for 9 seasons in the beginning.
Wayne S

Postby Sneggyblubird » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:45 am

dogfound wrote:
Marc1987 wrote:Up until the change to red the club badge had a daffodil on it so I would imagine it was something to do with that.

first use of yellow in our kit was 1975...the first use of the badge with the dafodil was 10 years later..
so no...

That would be our first re-brand and was met with universal approval with not a hissy fit in sight. :lol: Can't remember why it was done or if any explanation was made at the time.
Sneggyblubird

Postby bridgendbluebird30 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:12 am

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:When we used to have it and hope it comes back BUT can someone tell me what the yellow has go to do with? I always assumed it was blue and yellow and white because of the BLUEBIRD colours but I've just googled a bluebird and there's absolutely no yellow on it at all!!!! It's more of an orange so perhaps we should change to blue and orange???

Please don’t tell WelshPatriot that you like yellow! Seemed to question on the large New Kit thread that there were fans that actually liked yellow on the City kit. I remember it from the 70’s and I mentioned the yellow on the thread purely because we are yet to see it on our Adidas kits. Could this be the year? Think as a one off it makes a change to have a small bit of yellow instead of the usual blue/white and blue/black. A small amount of yellow goes well with the blue.
bridgendbluebird30

Postby Wayne S » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:22 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:
dogfound wrote:

so no...

That would be our first re-brand and was met with universal approval with not a hissy fit in sight. :lol: Can't remember why it was done or if any explanation was made at the time.

Ah I beg to differ my father was threatening not to go again because of the move from the standard blue and white.

The only problem back then was there was n it the internet platform for a minority to band together and be heard.

My mother bought me the kit. It nearly ended in divorce.
Wayne S

Postby llangainbluebird » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:33 am

Wayne S wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
dogfound wrote:

so no...

Ah I beg to differ my father was threatening not to go again because of the move from the standard blue and white.

The only problem back then was there was n it the internet platform for a minority to band together and be heard.

My mother bought me the kit. It nearly ended in divorce.

I can remember quite a few fans who were not keen on the yellow stripe on the 75/76 kit.
llangainbluebird

Postby Once a blue always a blue44 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:54 am

Ive always wondered whether it was to do with th BLUEBIRD or something else. I guess it's close to the colours of a bluebird! I only said this as I wondered if the new kit was blue with a little white and perhaps a yellow area on the upper chest (just below the bottom of the V neck) hence its landing! As a real life BLUEBIRD has the bit of colour on their chest too!
Once a blue always a blue44

Postby WelshPatriot » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:08 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:

Please don’t tell WelshPatriot that you like yellow! Seemed to question on the large New Kit thread that there were fans that actually liked yellow on the City kit. I remember it from the 70’s and I mentioned the yellow on the thread purely because we are yet to see it on our Adidas kits. Could this be the year? Think as a one off it makes a change to have a small bit of yellow instead of the usual blue/white and blue/black. A small amount of yellow goes well with the blue.

Give your head a shake mate I questioned your statement that loads of fans liked the yellow....now stop your crying for god's sake.
WelshPatriot

Postby petesmeat » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:52 pm

Umbro had some spare kit that nobody wanted, with the white and yellow stripe, copying an old Luton template. The club got it cheap, so took it, hence the yellow on our kit.
petesmeat

Postby bridgendbluebird30 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:54 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:

Give your head a shake mate I questioned your statement that loads of fans liked the yellow....now stop your crying for god's sake.

I’m certainly not crying. You were the one asking for surveys because clearly you thought that no City fans like the yellow. Just accept the fact that there are fans out there who do not share the same opinion as you. You didn’t like an observation that I had made (based on evidence) & you don’t like the fact that some people have a different opinion from you. It was just a coincidence that this thread was started by one of the many fans that do like a bit of yellow on the kit which is clearly against your beliefs. I was commenting on the fact that we have had no yellow on the new Adidas kits and I would not be surprised that sooner or later some yellow is used. You can’t just have blue/white or blue/black every season otherwise fans wouldn’t keep buying the new kit in numbers.
bridgendbluebird30

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:25 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:

I’m certainly not crying. You were the one asking for surveys because clearly you thought that no City fans like the yellow. Just accept the fact that there are fans out there who do not share the same opinion as you. You didn’t like an observation that I had made (based on evidence) & you don’t like the fact that some people have a different opinion from you. It was just a coincidence that this thread was started by one of the many fans that do like a bit of yellow on the kit which is clearly against your beliefs. I was commenting on the fact that we have had no yellow on the new Adidas kits and I would not be surprised that sooner or later some yellow is used. You can’t just have blue/white or blue/black every season otherwise fans wouldn’t keep buying the new kit in numbers.

Have to agree mate. We’ll never go back to the yellow stripe and I don’t think we should unless it was for a ‘centenary type’ season as a one off. I do like a little yellow on our kit though for sure.
You love posting a poll, I’m surprised you haven’t done one about this?!!
:lol:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby TERRYB » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:30 pm

I also love the yellow and I would love to see the return of the mid 70s blue shirt with the yellow and white vertical stripes. In it's day it was unmistakably Cardiff City and iconic. Love the blue white yellow on City scarves too. :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:
TERRYB

Postby Wayne S » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:30 pm

I don't think we will ever have yellow on the home kit again and would like it that way.

You don't see the likes of Man U, Chelsea, Leeds, Villa and on and on..... messing with their colours and history.

Leave it as is.

Although on a massively bigger scale I cannot understand how people were apoplectic about the red but accept a non historical yellow.
Wayne S

Postby llangainbluebird » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:00 pm

Wayne S wrote:I don't think we will ever have yellow on the home kit again and would like it that way.

You don't see the likes of Man U, Chelsea, Leeds, Villa and on and on..... messing with their colours and history.

Leave it as is.

Although on a massively bigger scale I cannot understand how people were apoplectic about the red but accept a non historical yellow.

There were quite a few who did not 'accept' the yellow in 1975/76, but it was a great season, which ended in promotion. It's only in much later times that this kit became 'iconic'. It is part of our history now, though, (as is the red!). Personally, I prefer blue shirts with white shorts and socks as our kit, as in the late 60s, early 70s.

As for 'messing with their colours and history', Leeds changed from blue and yellow to all-white in Don Revie's time, so they could look like Real Madrid.
llangainbluebird

Postby Wayne S » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:24 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:
Wayne S wrote:I don't think we will ever have yellow on the home kit again and would like it that way.

Leave it as is.

There were quite a few who did not 'accept' the yellow in 1975/76, but it was a great season, which ended in promotion. It's only in much later times that this kit became 'iconic'. It is part of our history now, though, (as is the red!). Personally, I prefer blue shirts with white shorts and socks as our kit, as in the late 60s, early 70s.

As for 'messing with their colours and history', Leeds changed from blue and yellow to all-white in Don Revie's time, so they could look like Real Madrid.

Yeah I fucked up with the Leeds example. I twigged too late. But the point is teams are known for their shirt colours. If you say Nugent is you see black and white stripes, Barcelona as well.

Stick with the classic so people say blue and white when they think Cardiff.
Wayne S

Postby FloridaBluebird » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:24 pm

Funny how the red kit is loathed now after the rebrand. I do remember away/third kits in red with the South Wales echo sponsor which I loved back then. Now I just hope we stick to the safety of blue, yellow can always be our away kit.
FloridaBluebird

Postby WelshPatriot » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:31 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:

You stated something as fact and I asked you to back it up, nothing to do with different opinions you were trying to speak for numbers.

Now stop crying because somebody dared ask you where you get your facts from.
WelshPatriot

Postby bridgendbluebird30 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:44 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

You stated something as fact and I asked you to back it up, nothing to do with different opinions you were trying to speak for numbers.

Now stop crying because somebody dared ask you where you get your facts from.

Grow up, it is to do with different opinions. You stated on your original post - referring to yellow “Personally can’t stand it, my son prefers all blue and most mates”. You also questioned why I said that some fans like the yellow. You just have to accept that not everyone has to have the same taste as you. Fans are different and many like some yellow. You can tell that from this thread.
bridgendbluebird30

Postby Caerdydd12 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:26 pm

Fink it somehow has a connection with the st David's flag
Caerdydd12

Postby JimmyJazz » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:09 pm

Yellow = 70s rebrand :(

Blue top and white shorts at home, White tops and blue shorts away please.

:bluebird:
My father missed the cup final in 1927 as my grandad only had 2 tickets, and my Dad had an older brother!
JimmyJazz

Return to General Chat