Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Morton v City July 31st ?

Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:07 pm

MORTON defender Gregor Buchanan believes the prospect of a visit from English Premier League side Cardiff City next month is something both the players and fans would relish.

The Tele understands both clubs have held talks to arrange a possible friendly at Cappielow but the fixture has still to be finalised.

Bluebirds manager Neil Warnock said on radio yesterday that his star-studded side are set to visit Greenock on Tuesday July 31, shortly after Ton’s Betfred Cup group stage games have finished.

He said: “I’ve fixed up a game against Greenock Morton on July 31. It’s a good one that, isn’t it?
“I’ve been trying to get up there for years so I thought right, I’ll do it this year.”

Buchanan, who joined the club last week, says testing himself against high-quality players is something he’d love.
He told the Tele: “It’s quite an exciting prospect. Obviously you want to play against the best players and if you’re playing against an English Premier League side that’s what you’re going to be up against.

“It’s a nice fixture to be a part of and it’s probably one that the fans will want to take in and it’s a good one for the club as well.”

Warnock has previously brought Sheffield United up north of the border to face Morton, bringing the Bramall Lane outfit up to Cappielow in 2006.

He has a close affinity with the Greenock side, and even has bricks at Cappielow with his name on them along with his two kids.
Speaking in 2013, he said: “My wife Sharon’s grandparents lived up here near Dunoon.
“When we first went out together in the 1990s we started coming up here and decided to buy a little cabin. We’ve just kept coming ever since.
“Some time ago the club did a buy a brick scheme. I bought bricks for myself, William and Amy.
“Sharon was a bit peeved because we didn’t buy one for her! I’ve been along to Cappielow a few times.
“I just pay in behind the goals, although I was invited into the boardroom one day for a game.
“I loved it. The old pictures on the walls and the like. Amazing.”

Cardiff City have a number of international players playing at this year’s World Cup, as well as Scottish cap Callum Paterson in their squad. And the gulf in the two sides couldn’t be any more different, with Cardiff paying a reported £11m transfer fee for Josh Murphy from Norwich City earlier this week.

Buchanan joked: “It’s slightly different than what Morton would have paid Livi for me!
“Everybody knows down in England it’s a different life, it’s a different game because of the money they can spend on players is quite incredible.
“That’s the luxury they’ve got down there for the Premier League to have these teams. It’s an unbelievable league, but it’s an exciting fixture.”
Morton have yet to announce any pre-season friendlies, but Forfar Athletic have confirmed they are hosting the Ton at Station Park on July 7.

Re: Morton v City July 31st ?

Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:48 pm

Despite Inverclyde having the highest murder rate in the U.K. it would be a good trip :lol: , plenty of cheap hotels and Glasgow’s only 20miles away.

Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:13 pm

Jock wrote:Despite Inverclyde having the highest murder rate in the U.K. it would be a good trip :lol: , plenty of cheap hotels and Glasgow’s only 20miles away.

A long coach trip though

Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:22 am

City Slicker wrote:
Jock wrote:Despite Inverclyde having the highest murder rate in the U.K. it would be a good trip :lol: , plenty of cheap hotels and Glasgow’s only 20miles away.

A long coach trip though

Hour on Flybe from Cardiff :roll:

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:06 am

Jock wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

A long coach trip though

How much?

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:14 pm

City Slicker wrote:
Jock wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

A long coach trip though

How much?

Check it out on line, earlier you book the cheaper it is, or there’s Sleazy Jet from Wurzel Land, which tend to be cheaper.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:46 am

Jock wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
Jock wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

A long coach trip though

How much?

Check it out on line, earlier you book the cheaper it is, or there’s Sleazy Jet from Wurzel Land, which tend to be cheaper.

I was £30 each way last time I flew it, like you say - the earlier the better for cheapness.