The Liverpool love-in?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The Liverpool love-in?

Postby RYANBLUE » Sat May 26, 2018 7:40 pm

Wonder how many scouse kids walk around Liverpool with Cardiff kits on?

Pisses me right off the welsh love for them - load of tosh! Seen a lorry today with Never walk alone light behind the driver cab, and some 01443 number on lorry.

Sorry but I dont get it and wish the genration that backs liverpool on South Wales would now turn to back the Welsh prem side more!
RYANBLUE

The Liverpool love-in?

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: The Liverpool love

Postby Bananas » Sat May 26, 2018 7:41 pm

RYANBLUE wrote:Wonder how many scouse kids walk around Liverpool with Cardiff kits on?

Pisses me right off the welsh love for them - load of tosh! Seen a lorry today with Never walk alone light behind the driver cab, and some 01443 number on lorry.

Sorry but I dont get it and wish the genration that backs liverpool on South Wales would now turn to back the Welsh prem side more!

FUK the plastic CNUTS :thumbup:
Bananas

Postby WelshPatriot » Sat May 26, 2018 9:09 pm

RYANBLUE wrote:Wonder how many scouse kids walk around Liverpool with Cardiff kits on?

I have cousins Cardiff born and bred support Liverpool.

I've never understood supporting a team from another city in another country.
WelshPatriot

Postby Bananas » Sat May 26, 2018 9:12 pm

How did the plastics get on anyway?? :laughing6:
Bananas

Postby Once a blue always a blue44 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:49 pm

To be honest it seems so offensive when you go out somewhere local and see someone in a Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Man U or Man City shirt - one of the giants basically! I just don’t get it - why?! Ok the only reason I could except it is if that person grew up in that area supporting that club and going to watch the matches etc. Then perhaps they moved to Cardiff and wanted to follow us too. That’s the only time I feel I can accept it. To grow up in Cardiff and support Liverpool or whoever seems ludicrous but their loss I guess!
Once a blue always a blue44

Postby Walinoz » Sat May 26, 2018 10:07 pm

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:To be honest it seems so offensive when you go out somewhere local and see someone in a Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Man U or Man City shirt - one of the giants basically! I just don’t get it - why?! Ok the only reason I could except it is if that person grew up in that area supporting that club and going to watch the matches etc. Then perhaps they moved to Cardiff and wanted to follow us too. That’s the only time I feel I can accept it. To grow up in Cardiff and support Liverpool or whoever seems ludicrous but their loss I guess!

Posted this on ccmb

Boycott Morrison’s petrol station
Went to get petrol at Morrison’s , go inside the kiosk to pay and whilst waiting in the queue to pay a guy who was stacking the shelves was singing that ****ing allez allez allez song ,”we’ve conquered all of Europe we won the ****ing lot blah blah blah “ I look over at him and say “ you’re singing the wrong words there mate He smiles and carries on whilst stacking the shelves , so I start with the city’s version , as I got to the counter , went to give the cashier my money and he smiles and says we’re all Liverpool supporters in here mate , to which I reply “ then you should all be ashamed of yourselves “ you should be supporting the city your local team. , “What Cardiff city ? They’re crap “and laughed and also started singin it I shook my head and walked out in disgust
When I was younger me And my mates all followed a first division club , there were Arsenal Man City Ipswich Derby Leeds and Man U amongst us but we all supported the city and went down Ninain park every home game
So I could maybe understand if they were a bit older and were brought up with Liverpool winning everything back in the 70s and 80s but these dickheads were in their mid 20,s so I dont get it
No doubt they’ll want to go down the CCS when the scouser are in town next season
Walinoz

Postby skiprat » Sat May 26, 2018 11:20 pm

Nothings changed though has it.
skiprat

Postby 2blue2handle » Sat May 26, 2018 11:23 pm

I'll be honest it doesn't bother me in the slightest, they have an affinity with another club that's all. For them it's not about going to games it's about supporting them from a distance. I don't fully understand why but it doesn't bother me.
2blue2handle

Re: The Liverpool love-in?

Postby murphy » Sun May 27, 2018 9:13 am

Liverpool along with man utd, real Madrid and barca have support all over the world.

People on here seem to think it's only in South Wales :lol:

There was a guy in the pub last night wearing a real Madrid top and he weren't just supporting them for the night, he's Welsh and supported them for years.
murphy

Postby montyblue » Sun May 27, 2018 9:36 am

I was in the pub last night up here in mid wales with me mate about 60 liverpool shirts full the pub i had me cardiff city top on man united fans in the pub but no colours on, i felt exactly as fans have said on here obviously not in cardiff but the abuse came my way after bale scored and a lot of the lads are welsh with mix of English a fight broke out with united fans singing he' s gareth bale. It must be worse still in north wales but cannot get my head around peoole born and bred in cardiff have seen myself in the borough pub guys with Liverpool and united tops on "weird"
montyblue

Postby valleyrambill » Sun May 27, 2018 10:23 am

Its been like it for years it use to bother me years ago now I just laugh at them, the pub was full last night and it was for the FA cup its not just Liverpool its Man U too same bunch never seen them play live and ask me for tickets if Cardiff play them and I always say even if I could get tickets I wouldn't get them one lol
[color=#0040BF][/color]
valleyrambill

Postby pontyclunblue » Sun May 27, 2018 10:34 am

Let them stick to watching their teams play on the telly all their lives, pathetic. Viva Gareth Bale
pontyclunblue

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sun May 27, 2018 10:42 am

2blue2handle wrote:I'll be honest it doesn't bother me in the slightest, they have an affinity with another club that's all. For them it's not about going to games it's about supporting them from a distance. I don't fully understand why but it doesn't bother me.

That's how I feel. It is up to the individual who they support and if it is Liverpool then that's their choice.

However, my choice is to support the local club where I get the full of experience of attending games and feeling a real affinity rather than jumping on some far off bandwagon.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sun May 27, 2018 10:53 am

montyblue wrote:I was in the pub last night up here in mid wales with me mate about 60 liverpool shirts full the pub i had me cardiff city top on man united fans in the pub but no colours on, i felt exactly as fans have said on here obviously not in cardiff but the abuse came my way after bale scored and a lot of the lads are welsh with mix of English a fight broke out with united fans singing he' s gareth bale. It must be worse still in north wales but cannot get my head around peoole born and bred in cardiff have seen myself in the borough pub guys with Liverpool and united tops on "weird"

Sorry I can't agree that choosing to support Liverpool/Man United is 'weird'

There are plenty of non-born Cardiff fans and at least one German I know of. Also Liverpool/United etc. have a marketing strategies selling their brands in the far east/America where they have millions of fans.

Also road and rail links to Liverpool and Manchester make it possible to be there in a few hours if someone wanted to it is simply a modern day consequence of blanket TV coverage.

I agree it is sad that these people choose to support far off teams which they don't seem to have a tangible attachment to but that's their choice.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby brickyblue » Sun May 27, 2018 11:57 am

Always hated it in the 80s and late 70s when i grew up in pentwyn it was all Liverpool.
The boys used to laugh at me suppirting cardiff .
I gave them we are all cardiff kids and i still do the we are all cardiff men now it makes no difference .
They just dont get the bigger picture never will.
I support cardiff as its my hometown club i personally would never be able to support any other team as its nothing to do with me personally.
Ill never understand it and ill always hate it.
Now we are in the prem the stadium will be half full depending who we play with the opposite fans .
They all want to be ashamed of them selves .
They only ever supported them because they were good same as man u etc.
Its sad football is more than that if you understand football that is.
Glad Liverpool lost we'd never of heard the last of it so im glad they lost
brickyblue

Postby Halifax93 » Sun May 27, 2018 12:26 pm

Last night's result was the best possible for Cardiff and I loved it.

A Cardiff boy scoring one of the best goals of any major match is obviously something to celebrate.

But let's be honest here, Liverpool are probably the main reason we don't get bigger crowds (and it's not just us obviously, it's true for Middlesbrough, Plymouth etc etc). The glory seekers around the UK in their 40s and 50s have passed on their Liverpool "support" to their kids.

Swansea aren't and never were that much of a threat to us in gaining new fans. Their star will fade quickly now and it was always going to happen.

Nope, it's Liverpool and Man Utd that take fans from us and it's why I loved seeing Bale do what he does best so much last night.
Halifax93

Postby llangainbluebird » Sun May 27, 2018 4:51 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I'll be honest it doesn't bother me in the slightest, they have an affinity with another club that's all. For them it's not about going to games it's about supporting them from a distance. I don't fully understand why but it doesn't bother me.

Agreed. People support clubs for all sorts of reasons, whether they go to games, or not. I'm more than happy supporting CCFC. Live and let live!
llangainbluebird

Postby BaltimoreBlues » Mon May 28, 2018 6:53 am

I think it’s a generation thing, as you will find it’s a lot of older fans supporting Liverpool. Being born in the late 70’s you supported Liverpool or Man United. I was Liverpool, as I didn’t really know anything about Cardiff. It wasn’t until I was introduced to the city around the Len Ash, Frank Burrows time that I started following Cardiff. Now I hate Liverpool with a passion. I think the generation today are brought up being proud to follow Cardiff, and that’s probably due to promotions, cup runs etc. I imagine more kids in schools wear city, or even jacks shirt today than they did back when I was in school , and If City can stay in the top division for many years then hopefully the Liverpool love in will die away.
BaltimoreBlues

Postby WelshPatriot » Mon May 28, 2018 7:12 am

BaltimoreBlues wrote:I think it’s a generation thing, as you will find it’s a lot of older fans supporting Liverpool. Being born in the late 70’s you supported Liverpool or Man United. I was Liverpool, as I didn’t really know anything about Cardiff. It wasn’t until I was introduced to the city around the Len Ash, Frank Burrows time that I started following Cardiff. Now I hate Liverpool with a passion. I think the generation today are brought up being proud to follow Cardiff, and that’s probably due to promotions, cup runs etc. I imagine more kids in schools wear city, or even jacks shirt today than they did back when I was in school , and If City can stay in the top division for many years then hopefully the Liverpool love in will die away.

My sons 15 he is Cardiff through and through he is the minority in his school in the Vale of Glamorgan, there are more Swansea supporters however I think that'll change but he tells me there are loads of man city,liverpool etc in his year.
WelshPatriot

Postby stephendavid » Mon May 28, 2018 7:49 am

llangainbluebird wrote:

Agreed. People support clubs for all sorts of reasons, whether they go to games, or not. I'm more than happy supporting CCFC. Live and let live!

Great bond film that mate
stephendavid

Postby Ray Bishop » Mon May 28, 2018 12:12 pm

As a kid in the 70s, I loved Liverpool with a passion. I nearly cried when Jimmy Greenhof scored the winner in the 79 cup semi final replay for Man U.
Went to my first City game in May 79 v Burnley and haven’t looked back since. Liverpool gradually wore off and actually I now detest them with a passion.
Hopefully young Liverpool/ Man U etc fans in South Wales will have a similar experience to me and start supporting the City instead.
Ray Bishop

Postby davids » Mon May 28, 2018 1:10 pm

Ray Bishop wrote:As a kid in the 70s, I loved Liverpool with a passion. I nearly cried when Jimmy Greenhof scored the winner in the 79 cup semi final replay for Man U.
Went to my first City game in May 79 v Burnley and haven’t looked back since. Liverpool gradually wore off and actually I now detest them with a passion.
Hopefully young Liverpool/ Man U etc fans in South Wales will have a similar experience to me and start supporting the City instead.

The question is why did you love Liverpool "with a passion" as a kid?

I guess the answer is because they were the most successful team in the country at that time and were having success in Europe as well.

And that's the reason why we will constantly struggle to appeal fully to local youngsters unless by some miracle we become successful too.

Kids in particular want to be associated with successful clubs - they want to see the big name players on the television rather than go to see their local team and I'm afraid that will always be the way.

Really don't understand why in South Wales in particular there is such a massive love for Liverpool though?
davids

Postby davids » Mon May 28, 2018 1:15 pm

Another thing that rather pisses me off as well is in the concourse before our home games if there is a match being shown which involves Liverpool or Man United it's the amount of cheering that goes up when they score a goal! :o :o

Sometimes it's louder than when the City score a goal!

I suppose that at least the people in the concourse have made the effort to watch the City but it's pretty obvious from the cheers that many of the people watching the games on the telly are perhaps not coming to watch their number one team on our pitch.
davids

Postby paulh_85 » Mon May 28, 2018 1:40 pm

davids wrote:Another thing that rather pisses me off as well is in the concourse before our home games if there is a match being shown which involves Liverpool or Man United it's the amount of cheering that goes up when they score a goal! :o :o

I suppose that at least the people in the concourse have made the effort to watch the City but it's pretty obvious from the cheers that many of the people watching the games on the telly are perhaps not coming to watch their number one team on our pitch.

Hyperbole
paulh_85

Postby Plymuff Bloobird » Mon May 28, 2018 2:01 pm

Living in Plymouth I would say the most common shirts seen around the City are Liverpool then Utds.
Locals are known as Janners which becomes Jannerpudlians when a Sky match is on.
Occasionally I see an Argyle shirt but not many.
Love wearing my City shirt,most locals are clueless to whose it is.
Plymuff Bloobird

Postby Walinoz » Mon May 28, 2018 3:44 pm

Posted this on another board on sat

Went to get petrol at Morrison’s , go inside the kiosk to pay and whilst waiting in the queue to pay a guy who was stacking the shelves was singing that ****ing allez allez allez song ,”we’ve conquered all of Europe we won the ****ing lot blah blah blah “ I look over at him and say “ you’re singing the wrong words there mate He smiles and carries on whilst stacking the shelves , so I start with the city’s version , as I got to the counter , went to give the cashier my money and he smiles and says we’re all Liverpool supporters in here mate , to which I reply “ then you should all be ashamed of yourselves “ you should be supporting the city your local team. , “What Cardiff city ? They’re crap “and laughed and also started singin it I shook my head and walked out in disgust
When I was younger me And my mates all followed a first division club , there were Arsenal Man City Ipswich Derby Leeds and Man U amongst us but we all supported the city and went down Ninain park every home game
So I could maybe understand if they were a bit older and were brought up with Liverpool winning everything back in the 70s and 80s but these dickheads were in their mid 20,s so I dont get it
No doubt they’ll want to go down the CCS when the scouser are in town next season
Walinoz

Postby Halifax93 » Mon May 28, 2018 3:55 pm

davids wrote:Another thing that rather pisses me off as well is in the concourse before our home games if there is a match being shown which involves Liverpool or Man United it's the amount of cheering that goes up when they score a goal! :o :o

I'm not worried about them - at least they're watching City!
Halifax93

Postby Ray Bishop » Mon May 28, 2018 5:42 pm

davids wrote:
Ray Bishop wrote:As a kid in the 70s, I loved Liverpool with a passion. I nearly cried when Jimmy Greenhof scored the winner in the 79 cup semi final replay for Man U.

The question is why did you love Liverpool "with a passion" as a kid?

I guess the answer is because they were the most successful team in the country at that time and were having success in Europe as well.

And that's the reason why we will constantly struggle to appeal fully to local youngsters unless by some miracle we become successful too.

Kids in particular want to be associated with successful clubs - they want to see the big name players on the television rather than go to see their local team and I'm afraid that will always be the way.

Really don't understand why in South Wales in particular there is such a massive love for Liverpool though?

You’re probably right! In my junior school you were either a Liverpool or Man U fan, though in the 70s Utd did have a spell in Division 2. Didn’t live far from Ninian Park, so was easy to get down there with my mates. Really glad I did. Got the bug for the City, more or less straight away.
Ray Bishop

Postby BaltimoreBlues » Mon May 28, 2018 8:15 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:
BaltimoreBlues wrote:I think it’s a generation thing, as you will find it’s a lot of older fans supporting Liverpool. Being born in the late 70’s you supported Liverpool or Man United. I was Liverpool, as I didn’t really know anything about Cardiff. It wasn’t until I was introduced to the city around the Len Ash, Frank Burrows time that I started following Cardiff. Now I hate Liverpool with a passion. I think the generation today are brought up being proud to follow Cardiff, and that’s probably due to promotions, cup runs etc. I imagine more kids in schools wear city, or even jacks shirt today than they did back when I was in school , and If City can stay in the top division for many years then hopefully the Liverpool love in will die away.

My sons 15 he is Cardiff through and through he is the minority in his school in the Vale of Glamorgan, there are more Swansea supporters however I think that'll change but he tells me there are loads of man city,liverpool etc in his year.

I imagine with the jacks being in the premier for a few years they have gained some support, well done to your son though :thumbup:
BaltimoreBlues

Postby 2blue2handle » Mon May 28, 2018 8:33 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:

Exactly, a Liverpool fan who has lived in Cardiff all his life said to me why should he chose a club based on where he was born and brought up, most of which he had no control over. He instead supports Liverpool has that's the team he related to, the history, the feeling etc.

Personally I'd rather go to games and support city but that's my choice.
2blue2handle

Next

Return to General Chat