STOKE DEFENDER LATEST LINK

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Fri May 25, 2018 4:25 pm

Newcastle United and Cardiff City lead the race for Stoke City defender
By Jack Mitson

Premier League side Newcastle United and recently promoted Cardiff City and leading the race to sign Stoke City defender Ryan Shawcross, according to the latest odds given out by Bet Victor.

Friday 25th May 2018

Shawcross suffered relegation from the Premier League with the Potters this season, and has been tipped as one of many players who will leave the club in pursuit of remaining as a top flight player.

Jack Butland and Xherdan Shaqiri are both also expected to leave the club as they prepare for life back in the Sky Bet Championship.

Whilst Shawcross is expected to leave, the appointment of former Derby County and Birmingham City manager Gary Rowett could persuade him to remain at the club, as they are one of the early favourites for promotion next season.

That being said, if Shawcross does leave the club, it seems that there is a very good chance he could be moving to Wales to join Cardiff City, and they have been given odds of 6/1.

The Bluebirds achieved promotion back to the Premier League on the final day of the Sky Bet Championship season, with a 0-0 draw at home to Reading enough to seal second place.

Following confirmation of their promotion, Neil Warnock was quick to acknowledge that the squad would need plenty of strengthening, and implied that they would be looking for players with Premier League experience.

Ryan Shawcross has plenty of Premier League experience, having played 317 time for Stoke since his move to the club back in 2008.

Shawcross also played one game for England, but it is one that he will never forget. He was introduced as a late substitution in a friendly match with Sweden, and Swedish striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored a hat-trick against him in 15 minutes. Consequently, Shawcross was never called up again.
Attachments
RS.jpg
RS.jpg (37.91 KiB) Viewed 4333 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: STOKE DEFENDER LATEST LINK

Postby Sven » Fri May 25, 2018 4:27 pm

Wasn't impressed when I saw this and my mind immediately turned to the words 'thug' and 'Ramsey' :(

But on reflection, I think it would be a good signing and he would fit into the supposed 'Warnock Way' :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby RV Casual » Fri May 25, 2018 4:32 pm

I share your sentiments Sven, would be interesting to see what fee is being asked for.

The thing is people keep saying our defence (especially at centre back) is the one place that we don't need to strengthen, I have said the same myself but it doesn't have any Premier League experience, it would be good to get someone in there with a bit of experience that's why I wouldn't have been against James Collins on a modest deal.
RV Casual

Postby bridgendbluebird30 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:42 pm

The more players that come in with Premier League experience the better but would put a quick striker first then a keeper, defensive midfielder, creative midfielder and a wide man before a new Centre half.
bridgendbluebird30

Postby bluemun » Fri May 25, 2018 4:50 pm

Not really a priority . I'd say we have three centrebacks as good, if not better, than him.
He could've opted to play for Wales.
What's his England career been like?
bluemun

Postby Bazforth » Fri May 25, 2018 4:51 pm

RV Casual wrote:I share your sentiments Sven, would be interesting to see what fee is being asked for.

The thing is people keep saying our defence (especially at centre back) is the one place that we don't need to strengthen, I have said the same myself but it doesn't have any Premier League experience, it would be good to get someone in there with a bit of experience that's why I wouldn't have been against James Collins on a modest deal.

Though actually, Jazz Richards, Joe Bennett and Sean Morrison have all played in the Premiership...
Bazforth

Postby RV Casual » Fri May 25, 2018 4:56 pm

Bazforth wrote:
RV Casual wrote:I share your sentiments Sven, would be interesting to see what fee is being asked for.

Though actually, Jazz Richards, Joe Bennett and Sean Morrison have all played in the Premiership...

Yep, I stand corrected :lol:
RV Casual

Postby Bluebina » Fri May 25, 2018 4:58 pm

Paper talk this is a low priority position !!!!

Would be decent at our level though !!!
Bluebina

Postby The Cobra » Fri May 25, 2018 5:09 pm

NW just after the program started with Brazil on TS yesterday, made a point of saying dont expect signings (maybe many) before pre season starts, and maybe a while later, unlike last season, cant remember his reasoning. Also said hes working flat out doing everything as theres no one else to do it, ie director of football, and theres me thinking he was on hoilidays!
The Cobra

Postby BluebirdsTilIDie » Fri May 25, 2018 5:11 pm

So overrated never really rated him myself
BluebirdsTilIDie

Postby speechbubble » Sat May 26, 2018 6:07 pm

f**k off Shawcross
speechbubble

Postby paulh_85 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:09 pm

Definitely need a centre back, not sure I’d take him though