Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

PREMIER LEAGUE WELCOME BACK CARDIFF CITY FC

Thu May 24, 2018 10:55 pm

English Premier League: Welcome Back Cardiff City

By Zaph Hutson1

24/05/18

After being relegated in 2014, Cardiff City are back and have a team worthy of the Premier League. The competition won’t be easy but the Welsh side is ready for the challenge.

Even though both Wolverhampton and Cardiff City are being promoted to the Premier League, this is where the similarities end. In a previous article it was stated that the Wolves have a play-style similar to Manchester City. Well, Cardiff is more like the red side of Manchester.

At 69 goals this year, Cardiff has scored less than 18th place Hull City. They also do not have a player in the top 20 in terms of goals scored. Callum Paterson and Gary Madine are their most proficient goal scorers with just 10 apiece. So how is it possible that the Bluebirds are now on their way to The Top Flight?

To put it simply, they have a brick wall of a defense. Cardiff City has allowed only 39 goals this season – only Wolverhampton has been as successful. In any given game, all four Bluebird defenders could be over 6′ tall (1.83m.)

These giants include Sol Bamba and Sean Morrison. They physically dominate opposing sides and will no doubt do the same to Premier League competition.

Callum Paterson (mentioned earlier) is also a big help in attacking. This is largely thanks to the fact that Cardiff gets its goals through crosses and set pieces.

The Bluebirds successful campaign

The Bluebirds have enjoyed a successful campaign in the 2017/2018 Championship season. Even though they had arguably the best defense in the league, they also managed to pull off late wins in many games. This is what helped them have the longest winning streak with 8 matches.

Manager Neil Warnock will not be given quite the same amount of money this off-season as he enjoyed in previous years. Warnock was fine with this revelation stating, “[The owner is] not going to go like he did last time, he wants to be sensible.” Still, Cardiff City will look to sign economically, priced players and will prove to be a strong side in the Premier League next season.

Warnock’s style of play will be put to the test. There is no monster like the Premier League. The English way has suffered for years. Sitting back and soaking up phases and phases of pressure has its results. However, when you come against world beaters like Manchester City and others – you will surely be put to the test.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: PREMIER LEAGUE WELCOME BACK CARDIFF CITY FC

Thu May 24, 2018 10:58 pm

It states we scored less than 18th placed Hull City and that may be the case ;)

But we also had the most shots from inside the six yard box in the Championship during 2017/18

Cardiff City....65
Aston Villa........60
Wolves............58
Middlesbrough...56
Fulham............55

Thu May 24, 2018 11:42 pm

There is only 1 important stat -
90 points!

Thu May 24, 2018 11:42 pm

I had to stop reading as soon as I saw they had Madine as our joint top scorer, shows how much thought was put into the article

Fri May 25, 2018 2:02 am

This proves my point that we need a goal scorer. 65 shots from inside the 6 yard box yet we were only 18th in the league for goals scored.

Fri May 25, 2018 6:32 am

Bluesman wrote:This proves my point that we need a goal scorer. 65 shots from inside the 6 yard box yet we were only 18th in the league for goals scored.

We were not 18th in the league for goals scored. It says that The 18th placed team scored more than us, but in fact only 5 teams scored more than we did.

Fri May 25, 2018 6:35 am

Bluesman wrote:This proves my point that we need a goal scorer. 65 shots from inside the 6 yard box yet we were only 18th in the league for goals scored.

We weren't 18th though, this is how stats can be manipulated.

We were 6th it is just that Hull scored a lot of goals for a team so low.

We scored 69 goals and Hull scored 70....... they also conceded 70.

Fri May 25, 2018 7:29 am

KBK-13 wrote:I had to stop reading as soon as I saw they had Madine as our joint top scorer, shows how much thought was put into the article

They included his season goals..none of which were scored for Cardiff City ;)

Fri May 25, 2018 9:49 am

Sven wrote:
KBK-13 wrote:I had to stop reading as soon as I saw they had Madine as our joint top scorer, shows how much thought was put into the article

They included his season goals..none of which were scored for Cardiff City ;)

These articles are written by either amateurs, those just looking for hits so write about something trending or oddly AI sometimes.

If we are trying to educate the author you only include a players goals from a previous team as soon as he scores a goal for his new team. Until then he does not feature on a goalscorer list for his new club.

Fri May 25, 2018 10:54 am

Yes, stats. Always use them to support your argument. That's about it. Didn't Hull score something like 14 goals in their previous 3 games before they played us? Take them out & then did they score more than us? Just rubbish. As was posted above, the only stats relevant were 90 points & 2nd place = promotion. I bet Hull would rather those stats than scoring more than us! :lol:

Fri May 25, 2018 11:35 am

The fact that the guy spells defence with an "s" sums up how much he knows about or understands the game.

Sat May 26, 2018 9:53 am

No it shows we cannot shoot properly! :laughing6:

Sat May 26, 2018 11:14 am

pembroke allan wrote:

No it shows we cannot shoot properly! :laughing6:

Or the opposition goalkeepers pulled off some great saves :notworthy: