Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Bolton Wanderers' transfer kitty kicked-off by Gary Madine

Wed May 23, 2018 6:05 am

Bolton received £2mill upfront and they have received a gigantic bonus of £4mill from Cardiff City.

Bolton Wanderers' transfer kitty kicked-off by Gary Madine bonus

By Bolton News

Wednesday 23rd May 2018

PHIL Parkinson’s summer transfer kitty at Wanderers has been kickstarted by a timely bonus payment on Gary Madine’s January move to Cardiff City.

It is understood a seven-figure fee has now been paid in full by the Bluebirds, taking the total value of the striker’s transfer above the £6million mark.

And that is good news for Parkinson, who after getting the green light to start planning for next season in the Championship from Ken Anderson, is now looking to add quality to his squad before August.

Anderson pledged funds would be made available for new signings regardless of the outcome of his discussions with three potential investors at the Macron Stadium.

And topping Parkinson’s wish-list this summer will be strikers to boost a front line which looked threadbare after top-scorer Madine’s deadline day exit.

“Unfortunately they are the ones who cost the most money,” reasoned the Wanderers boss. “But we know this summer we have to push on in the transfer market. It won’t all happen at once but the club is probably in the best position it has been for a while, and it is important we capitalise and build.”

Reports in the North East earlier this week suggested Parkinson could be on a shortlist of names to fill the vacant managerial slot at Sunderland. But sources close to the Stadium of Light claim the club is now concentrating their efforts on St Mirren’s Jack Ross and former Blackburn Rovers boss Michael Appleton for the time being.

Filipe Morais, who has worked with Parkinson at both Bradford City and Wanderers, believes he is the ideal man to take Bolton to the next level.

“The gaffer builds clubs,” he told The Bolton News. “And he has made a good start. I think when you look at the core of the squad, players like Will Buckley, Craig Noone, Sammy Ameobi, there’s plenty of Championship experience there. Others, like me, have adapted. But I think it’s all ready to step up if we can sign a few quality players in the summer.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Bolton Wanderers' transfer kitty kicked-off by Gary Madi

Wed May 23, 2018 6:37 am

Should have offered them Omar Bogle and Danny Ward as final payment and kept the cash if they need strikers

Wed May 23, 2018 6:56 am

shocking business that.

Wed May 23, 2018 7:28 am

WelshPatriot wrote:shocking business that.

Promotion lightens the blow...... slightly. Loaned out I would think.

Wed May 23, 2018 7:42 am

Have to say that both Ward and Bogle offered more of a threat than Madine.
I rate Bogle especially. He is unpredictable and skilful but inconsistent. Also has pace.
Not sure why he was loaned out to be honest.....attitude?

Wed May 23, 2018 7:43 am

Massive confidence player, don't think he's had much chance to settle into the squad with his team mates, hopefully a decent preseason with bonding and Warnock putting his arm around him could do the trick and we may have the striker on our hands that could do well in the Prem.

I'm happy to give Gary a chance to prove himself

Wed May 23, 2018 8:08 am

Worst than shocking. £6m for a league one player.

Wed May 23, 2018 8:15 am

Wolfpac wrote:Massive confidence player, don't think he's had much chance to settle into the squad with his team mates, hopefully a decent preseason with bonding and Warnock putting his arm around him could do the trick and we may have the striker on our hands that could do well in the Prem.

Me too mate :thumbright:
I thought he played well most of the time he had the chance.
We scored a couple of important goals from his head downs ( I believe ).

Wed May 23, 2018 8:31 am

buckleys brewery wrote:

In today’s inflated market that’s what you have to pay for a striker

Still time for him to come good yet, might just surprise a few people next season

Wed May 23, 2018 8:43 am

buckleys brewery wrote:

You have to worry giving Warnock big money. Tomlin and Madine right up there in the worst buys in our history. Great manager no doubt, talent spotter though? :|

Wed May 23, 2018 8:46 am

ThomasC wrote:
buckleys brewery wrote:

You have to worry giving Warnock big money. Tomlin and Madine right up there in the worst buys in our history. Great manager no doubt, talent spotter though? :|

Madine will come good and tomlin play his part ,stop your moaning Victor

Wed May 23, 2018 8:46 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
Wolfpac wrote:Massive confidence player, don't think he's had much chance to settle into the squad with his team mates, hopefully a decent preseason with bonding and Warnock putting his arm around him could do the trick and we may have the striker on our hands that could do well in the Prem.

Me too mate :thumbright:
I thought he played well most of the time he had the chance.
We scored a couple of important goals from his head downs ( I believe ).

Problem is the quality of opposition is getting harder, not easier. He's never played at this level and there isn't anything that makes me feel he can step up another level

Wed May 23, 2018 8:49 am

ThomasC wrote:
buckleys brewery wrote:

Agree. People keep complaining about Malky MacKay, but the club have lost more on Warnock signings than any of MM's.
Add up Madine, Tomlin and Bogle and that's over £10 million wasted. Lucky to get £2 million back from them 3.

Wed May 23, 2018 8:49 am

ThomasC wrote:
buckleys brewery wrote:

Agree. People keep complaining about Malky MacKay, but the club have lost more on Warnock signings than any of MM's.
Add up Madine, Tomlin and Bogle and that's over £10 million wasted. Lucky to get £2 million back from them 3.

Wed May 23, 2018 8:50 am

wez1927 wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
buckleys brewery wrote:

Madine will come good and tomlin play his part ,stop your moaning Victor

How many you backing him to score Wez? I'll transfer you a £5 if he scores one premiership goal. :) :thumbup:

Wed May 23, 2018 9:01 am

glas wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
buckleys brewery wrote:

A very good point. MM wasted on Acorn and not much else. Imagine Warnock spending your millions, you'd be sh*tting yourself right through till September.

Wed May 23, 2018 9:35 am

bluemun wrote:Have to say that both Ward and Bogle offered more of a threat than Madine.
I rate Bogle especially. He is unpredictable and skilful but inconsistent. Also has pace.

I was told why Bogle was loaned out by a very reliable source and believe me you would not want him back i

Wed May 23, 2018 9:51 am

Milkybarkid wrote:
bluemun wrote:Have to say that both Ward and Bogle offered more of a threat than Madine.

I was told why Bogle was loaned out by a very reliable source and believe me you would not want him back i

????

Wed May 23, 2018 9:54 am

ThomasC wrote:A very good point. MM wasted on Acorn and not much else. Imagine Warnock spending your millions, you'd be sh*tting yourself right through till September.

Here's three off the top of my head John Brayford, Kévin Théophile-Catherine and Peter Odemwingie?

The fact is ALL managers sign duffers whether its MM or NW. What really counts is the end product, staying up or relegation.

Wed May 23, 2018 9:56 am

ThomasC wrote:
How many you backing him to score Wez? I'll transfer you a £5 if he scores one premiership goal. :) :thumbup:

I'll take you up on that bet :thumbup:

Wed May 23, 2018 9:56 am

Warnock wanted a target man to take the pressure off/or put the pressure { depending how you view it } on Zohore..

and we are in the premier league..........anyone that thinks that was poor business needs to sober up.

Wed May 23, 2018 9:57 am

dogfound wrote:Warnock wanted a target man to take the pressure off/or put the pressure { depending how you view it } on Zohore..

and we are in the premier league..........anyone that thinks that was poor business needs to sober up.

:thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

Wed May 23, 2018 10:06 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
dogfound wrote:Warnock wanted a target man to take the pressure off/or put the pressure { depending how you view it } on Zohore..

:thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

wasted 10 million but got us promoted.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
if John Sullivan read this board im sure he would get enough ideas to top fools and horses.

Wed May 23, 2018 10:12 am

Problem here is nobody doubts Warnock's abilities as a football manager at Championship level. Best in the business. If you lot think the 10mil was well spent just be glad it's not your money he's spending.

I also know as a fact you wouldn't give him a penny more :thumbup:

Wed May 23, 2018 10:21 am

ThomasC wrote:Problem here is nobody doubts Warnock's abilities as a football manager at Championship level. Best in the business. If you lot think the 10mil was well spent just be glad it's not your money he's spending.

the bulk of the money was on Madine....part of that deal , the bulk in fact was promotion dependent ..
2 miill if warnock was wrong..6 mill if correct...
this real;ly isnt hard to understand

Wed May 23, 2018 10:25 am

ThomasC wrote:
buckleys brewery wrote:

Negative, try focusing on some of our positive signings !!!

Warnock saved the club, every transfer is a gamble, Tomlin let him down and Madine was bought in the January transfer window when hardly any decent players are available and prices are inflated !!!

Grabban wouldn't come and Mitrovic was off to Anderlecht but the deal fell through on the last day of the window so Fulham got very lucky !!!

Wed May 23, 2018 10:30 am

dogfound wrote:
ThomasC wrote:Problem here is nobody doubts Warnock's abilities as a football manager at Championship level. Best in the business. If you lot think the 10mil was well spent just be glad it's not your money he's spending.

the bulk of the money was on Madine....part of that deal , the bulk in fact was promotion dependent ..
2 miill if warnock was wrong..6 mill if correct...
this real;ly isnt hard to understand

Was a gamble that paid off and the deal is very much standard practice today so cannot complain to much, also if 10m is wasted money feel sorry for those clubs that spent many more millions and are still in championship! It's not the fee it's the package aswell ? Last point if NW wasted money on madine what about hoilette ect ect no fees just wages. :thumbup:

Wed May 23, 2018 10:32 am

Tomlin, Bogle and Madine are STILL Cardiff City players.

You cannot talk about wasting money until they have gone.

Granted we are not gonna get a return on the investment though :lol:

But we may get a decent percentage back.

Wed May 23, 2018 10:40 am

And does anyone think Bolton would take a £6m valued Madine back before a £2m payout? No, I didn't think so. I suppose every manager has one once in a while; Mourinho had Pogba, Malky had A Corn, Slade had Revellers.....Warnock has Madine ;)

Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
ThomasC wrote:

I'll take you up on that bet :thumbup:

Deal :thumbup: pint will do.make it a Peroni,