Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Warnock reveals pre-season Middlesbrough prediction & taunts

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:03 am

Neil Warnock reveals pre-season Middlesbrough prediction & taunts 'big clubs' below Cardiff

The Gazete

Wednesday 25th April 2018

Before a ball was kicked this season, Cardiff boss Neil Warnock thought Boro and Derby were the two teams that would win automatic promotion this season.

"I thought they'd be the top two, so all credit to Wolves and Fulham," said Warnock before Cardiff's game at Pride Park on Tuesday night.

"I just think it shows where we are, to be in amongst it is fantastic and makes me even prouder."

Automatic promotion seemed a real possibility for Derby at the turn of the year before they endured yet another struggle in the second half of the season.

As for Cardiff, they've lasted the pace. But will they get over the line?

Had they held on to their lead at Pride Park last night and won the game, the Bluebirds would have had one foot in the Premier League. Instead, Derby scored three goals in the final 21 minutes, in doing so breathing new life into their stuttering campaign and moving them back into the top six, a point behind Boro and two ahead of Millwall, Saturday's visitors to the Riverside.

Cardiff now have just a one-point buffer on flying Fulham but Warnock was quick to put things into perspective.

"I think every club apart from Wolves would love to be in our situation on 86 points with a group of lads who are genuine," he said.

"We're limited at times, but it shows how far we've come to be where we are.

"Some of these big clubs below us, why aren't they where we are?"

Cardiff's game against Derby was initially scheduled for March but was controversially postponed due to weather conditions, a decision which irked Warnock at the time. And he couldn't resist one more dig at the Rams after Tuesday night's game.

"It's disappointing but it's one of those things, isn't it," he said.

"I can't blame the weather for the goals we conceded. It's just one of those things. It's nice Derby were able to get a full team out. So I'm pleased for Gary Rowett in that respect. And you never know, we might be back here yet."

If that's the case then Fulham will have won the race for second spot.

They host Sunderland on Friday night before the Bluebirds travel to Hull on Saturday.

Asked whether he thinks Sunderland can stun Slavisa Jokanovic's side, he said: "Not really, no.

"I'd like to think there was hope.

I think Chris (Coleman) will be glad when the season ends. You don't really want to be going to Fulham when you've already been relegated.

"They've got some young kids at Sunderland who might get a run out, but it's not about goal difference. In a way, I know it sounds silly, but we know what we've got to do. There's no two ways about it. We've got to win two games."

The Cardiff boss insists he won't be watching the televised game at Craven Cottage.

"I might watch something like the Queen. I've recorded it on Netflix. So I might watch two or three of them.

"You just don't know in this league do you. Anybody can beat anyone else. Burton battered Derby didn't they. That's why I love the league really because you don't know what's around the corner."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.