Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

'It's a horrible feeling' -

Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:27 pm

'It's a horrible feeling' - Coleman

Ex Wales mananager and Swansea City player Chris Coleman

Coleman quit the managers job at Wales and took charge of Sunderland on the 17th November 2017.

BBC

22nd April 2018

Chris Coleman shared his disappointment as Liam Boyce’s stoppage-time header relegated Sunderland.

The Black Cats sit bottom of the Sky Bet Championship six adrift with two games remaining.

But with Burton Albion due to play Bolton Wanderers next weekend that means Sunderland can’t catch any of the teams above them – confirming their relegation.

“It’s a horrible feeling but a big thank you to all the supporters for turning up for us today and all season,” Coleman said.

“I’m sorry that we haven’t been good enough to fight whatever battles are in front of us and we have fallen short.

“It is a painful experience and in the way the game panned out today you wouldn’t have bet against that the way the season has gone.

“It is bitterly, bitterly disappointing.”

He continued: “If you look at the last five games where we have been in front and winning. This is the second home game in a row where we have been leading in the last five minutes.

“Pressure does different things to different people but we have not managed to get over the line.

“I don’t want to make excuses because we haven’t been good enough.

“It is a painful experience.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: 'It's a horrible feeling' -

Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:35 pm

It's either money in this Sunderland job or managers genuinely see it as a challenge to be that one man that make Sunderland that team people talk about for the right reasons because every half decent or decent manager takes this job on and still can't turn it around.

Clubs like them remind me of Wolves and Blackburn who need proper transition and a plan in place to get back up to the top again otherwise they find themselves like Charlton.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:47 pm

Coleman did it for the money.

He has now gone from being the manager of a Euro Championship semi final team to the manager of a League 1 side and all in the space of less than a year.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:52 pm

Wayne S wrote:Coleman did it for the money.

He has now gone from being the manager of a Euro Championship semi final team to the manager of a League 1 side and all in the space of less than a year.

Not gonna lie he ain't a great manager and I think he done excellent with Wales but that World Cup qualifying campaign he was found out and he can't adapt to change, he couldn't change his own formation or set up and was way too stubborn and believed in it too much that it cost a place to Russia, then when under pressure he went for broke and played Ampadu, Brooks and Woodburn. He didn't play because he actually rated them and thought they couldn't impact the squad he done it more because his job was on the line which is was the real side of him which I think we didn't want to see of him but yeah.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:55 pm

Totally agree Wayne and Coleman as far as I am concerned must take responsibility for Sunderland relegated.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:57 pm

He was brought in to save them from relegation, and failed. I know they were in a bad position when he came in, but the target they set for him was survival - he didn’t achieve that.

Now he says he wants to keep his job... there are many clubs who wouldn’t keep him on in these circumstances.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:10 pm

Not really, I would say his stock was already dropping having failed to get Wales to qualify for the World Cup as a top seed. Another failed qualifying attempt and his stock would have been worth little. It was a good time for him to cash in as to be honest he isn't a great manager and knew he would get caught out at club level again.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:22 pm

He is a human being with a family is someone wants to pay him a huge wage good luck to him. He was the manager that took our tiny nation to new heights I am 58 this year and went through the misery of Yugoslavia and Rumania , more power to him !

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:29 pm

Might have made sense money wise, but as a career move I'm still a bit confused. Premier league experience and done so well with Wales he could have gone to a half tidy team on the up...

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:07 pm

If Coleman had kept Sunderland up, he would of got a £1mill bonus.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:51 am

He made a mistake and was not the right Manager for this job, Allardyce, Pullis or Warnock would have easily been able to keep them up, he failed miserably, now they are down and free from pressure, will those players be able to get at least a draw against Fulham ???

I doubt it but you never know in the Championship?

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:47 am

Dear Mr Coleman,

I know I've always thought you were overrated as a manager and only succeeded with Wales because you were lucky enough to have the best player in the world at that time in your team. You obviously thought the Sunderland job was a good idea and the chance to make some good money (as the Wales FA won't have paid you much as it would have affected their hospitality budget too much). I also didn't like you much as you are a Jack.

But now is the chance to let bygones be bygones and prove you don't hold a grudge against a lifelong Bluebird like me. Let's see if you can get your players to earn themselves some respect by stopping Fulham winning this weekend ! You'll certainly earn my respect and probably keep yourself in a job at the same time!

Best Wishes,

Bluebird 58

Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:05 pm

Greediness by Coleman has cost him his reputation