OPINIONS: WAS HE A GOOD SIGNING & WORTH THE FEE?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:14 pm

I was 100% told Gary Madine was £2mill upfront/ plus £4mill if Cardiff are promoted / plus match appearances

The Gary Madine quandary for Cardiff City and whether he will repay the £5million transfer fee -

Is Gary Madine a good signing for Cardiff City?

By Scott Johnson -

Saturday 24th March 2018

For such an expensive signing, there seems to be relatively low expectations regarding Gary Madine.

A surprise, significant investment at the tail-end of the January transfer window, Madine has barely had time to acclimatise to his new surroundings yet.

The £5million signing from Bolton Wanderers started consecutive games against Leeds United and Millwall, but took a beating at The New Den and has only started one game since, due to a niggling thigh injury.

Madine’s arrival also either coincided with (or maybe even inspired) an upturn in Kenneth Zohore’s form, so he has a fight on his hands to get back in to the side now he has returned to fitness. Madine has yet to add to his 10 league goals for Bolton this season, including a penalty against Cardiff in a 2-0 defeat , but the sooner he gets off the mark for his new club the better.

With Cardiff in the midst of cost cutting, it was a surprise to see them spend so much on a single player. It reminded me of when Cardiff signed Michael Chopra for a second time for a reported £3m, at a time when they were scrambling around, drafting in players like Solomon Taiwo and Paul Quinn.

That move was subsidised by the sale of Roger Johnson to Birmingham though and Chopra was a relatively safe bet, despite his baggage, having scored 31 goals for Cardiff in the past. Madine represents more of a risk because he has baggage to rival Chopra’s, but not a comparable goal scoring record.

In that respect, his signing feels a lot more like when Cardiff brought in Alan Lee from Rotherham in 2003. Having impressed against Cardiff a few weeks earlier — as did Madine — the Bluebirds paid £850,000 for him at the end of that summer transfer window, during their first season in the second tier.

The main man at Rotherham, Lee struggled at Cardiff and never truly convinced, eventually joining Ipswich for £100,000 in January 2006. Brought in to elevate a side that had just earned promotion, Cardiff never thrived with Lee up front. Madine will be expected to give an established, impressive Cardiff side an extra cutting edge in their final promotion push and his success will likely be judged by the team's success.

As Cardiff’s most recent accounts revealed, the club were already sailing pretty close to the wind and their Premier League parachute payments are set to end in the summer. So signing Madine was quite the statement of intent, but also felt rather extravagant and a little risky.

Extravagant for the Bluebirds that is, but hardly extravagant for the division. Bear in mind that Middlesbrough paid £6.5m for West Ham striker Ashley Fletcher and £10m for Martin Braithwaite in the summer. Both were then casually loaned out in January.

Cardiff were forced to enter the transfer market by a long-term injury to Danny Ward and Zohore’s lacklustre form, after himself returning from a lay off. Also by their direct competitors, who reinforced their forward lines with impressive additions.

Wolves, Aston Villa and Fulham all brought in high profile loan signings and all three are already off the mark for their new clubs.

Benik Afobe scored in his first start for Wolves against Reading last week, while Lewis Grabban, also a target for Cardiff, scored four goals in three games for Villa. Aleksandar Mitrovic has proved the pick of the bunch with seven in seven starts for a resurgent Fulham.

Madine has yet to make his mark, but with nine massive games remaining, there is plenty of scope for him to influence the title race, start to repay his investment and make himself a Cardiff folk hero.

Warnock has worked wonders since joining Cardiff and the club rightly backed him when he identified Madine as the player he needed in order to challenge for the title. But you wonder if they might have been better off seeking a temporary solution, like their rivals, rather than paying over the odds just before the window closed.

In the recent past, Cardiff have fared far better in the transfer market when they have spent small sums than when they have pushed the boat out. The Lee Tomlin situation may have a temporary solution, but he remains a Cardiff player and appears unlikely to ever play for them again.

Madine looks a solid Championship player, but what will become of him beyond this season? If Cardiff go up, would he be good enough to play in the Premier League? Similarly, if Cardiff don’t go up and have to slash their budget, will they be able to afford to keep him?

In that respect, his signing brings to mind Jordan Rhodes’ move from Blackburn to Middlesbrough in the 2016 January transfer window. Signing from a position of strength, Middlesbrough were already in the top two when they paid somewhere in the region of £10m for the proven goal scorer.

Rhodes responded with six goals in 13 starts and it made all the difference as Middlesbrough pipped Brighton to automatic promotion on goal difference. Yet Rhodes started only two games for Middlesbrough in the Premier League last season before being deemed surplus to requirements. They made their money back when he joined Sheffield Wednesday in the January transfer window, but Middlesbrough found goals hard to come by and were eventually relegated.

Things can go any number of ways for Madine. He may thrive or may flop. Cardiff may succeed with or without him and either way, his outlay will not be begrudged.

If Cardiff fall short, then fingers may be pointed in his direction, or they might miss out despite Madine’s best efforts.

There seems to be an acceptance among supporters that Madine was overpriced, hence the relatively low expectations, but needs must when promotion is on the line.

A striker will always be judged on goals and a hefty transfer fee always needs to be justified. Madine will get the opportunities from Warnock, it is up to him to make
Attachments
JS143116794.jpg
JS143116794.jpg (38.08 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
Large.jpg
Large.jpg (38.3 KiB) Viewed 3797 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: OPINIONS: WAS HE A GOOD SIGNING & WORTH THE FEE?

Postby Sven » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:21 pm

Annis, I think was/is a very good signing for City and I like what I've seen of him :thumbright:

I'm sure part of Neil Warnock's psyche was to give Kenneth Zohore genuine competition. I feel that Gary Madine will prove his worth at some point in the run-in and I guess the fees involved are for other people to assess

At £2m plus 'promotion' add-ons, I feel both Neil Warnock and the club have played a blinder here! :ayatollah: :bluescarf:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby wez1927 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:22 pm

Havnt seen enough of him but since he's come in zohore has upped his game so it's a good thing
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby Sam_89 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:23 pm

Not seen enough of him yet but looks like its give big ken a kick up the arse so thats good enough for me lol
Last edited by Sam_89 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam_89

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:23 pm

Sven wrote:Annis, I think was/is a very good signing for City and I like what I've seen of him :thumbright:

I'm sure part of Neil Warnock's psyche was to give Kenneth Zohore genuine competition. I feel that Gary Madine will prove his worth at some point in the run-in and I guess the fees involved are for other people to assess

At £2m plus 'promotion' add-ons, I feel both Neil Warnock and the club have played a blinder here! :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Chris :thumbright:

All my Bolton friends rate Gary Madine, very highly and were gutted when he left them.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Sven » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:25 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Sven wrote:Annis, I think was/is a very good signing for City and I like what I've seen of him :thumbright:

Chris :thumbright:

All my Bolton friends rate Gary Madine, very highly and were gutted when he left them.

I'm not surprised, Annis. He's a tough striker and right up Neil Warnock's street! :ayatollah:

That's what I like about Neil Warnock. He KNOWS what he wants rather than THINKS what he wants! :notworthy:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Dahboy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:31 pm

He's ok but premier league not a cat in hell, sell him as soon as the season is over. If we make the PL that is.
Dahboy

Postby Ebbw Blue » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:47 pm

Good signing, look how Zohore has lifted his game since Madine signed. He will be vital to us in the run in
Ebbw Blue

Postby norms76 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:21 pm

Not seen enough of him yet but have a very good idea what he’s about as he’s been around a good few years now.

He was very unfortunate to get injured pretty much straight away. He’s fit now, we’re going to need both him and
Zohore in the coming weeks.
norms76

Postby Llantwit Blue » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:45 pm

Worth every penny.

Find the article poor at best.

Absolute chicken feed even if the fee comes to 4/5 Million means we got promoted and earnt 200 Million possibly in TV Money.

I have only missed one game this season and we had a huge problem when Ken went off the boil, whichever way you look at it he’s now back to his best.

The games Madine has played he’s been excellent and he offers us a different way of playing if need be, with Ken the ball needs to be played into the Chanel with Madine you can play it into him and he’s able to bring us players into play.

Ipswich where Warnock shocked everybody at half time and threw them both upfront they were very good playing off each other and I hope we see this repeated before the season ends.

Excellent piece of business by Warnock and I for one not questioning such a fee in today’s inflated market.
Llantwit Blue

Postby 103 Barmy Army » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:45 pm

Due to the structure of the payments, I thinks he’s a good signing and well worth the risk given our current position in the league. He seems to be the missing piece of the jigsaw as his strength is bringing the wingers into play, a department where we have an abundance of talent and speed.

He provides a different option to Zohore and I’d also like to see them play alongside each other if the situation dictates.

If we get promoted, I’d keep him as a back up striker at the very least.
103 Barmy Army

Postby bluebird58 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:03 pm

103 Barmy Army wrote:Due to the structure of the payments, I thinks he’s a good signing and well worth the risk given our current position in the league. He seems to be the missing piece of the jigsaw as his strength is bringing the wingers into play, a department where we have an abundance of talent and speed.

He provides a different option to Zohore and I’d also like to see them play alongside each other if the situation dictates.

If we get promoted, I’d keep him as a back up striker at the very least.

I agree. And if we don’t get promoted he’ll be a useful player next season, and good value if we have only paid £2m!
First game Cardiff v Coventry City 1967
bluebird58

Postby buckleys brewery » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:26 pm

No and No. A poor man’s Ronnie Moore. Although I did see Ronnie Moore score.
buckleys brewery

Postby BrightBlueFuture » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:05 pm

Now isn’t even the time to be appraising that as he hasn’t been with us long enough.

Column filler article
BrightBlueFuture

Postby TopCat CCFC » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:13 pm

buckleys brewery wrote:No and No. A poor man’s Ronnie Moore. Although I did see Ronnie Moore score.

Me Too ;)
TopCat CCFC

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:41 pm

Reply BOLTON Fan Tony Rheardon

He will do well in the premier league Annis as their is not another target man like him and the defenders will not know how to handle him. He’s not going to get you 15 goals in the premier league but neither did Kevin Davies and he was the best target man the premier league has possibly had, but ask all the top defenders , Terry and Ferdinand etc and they all hated playing against Davies, and given time Madine could quite easily do the same for you .

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby cendl blue » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:46 pm

Llantwit Blue wrote:Worth every penny.

Find the article poor at best.

Absolute chicken feed even if the fee comes to 4/5 Million means we got promoted and earnt 200 Million possibly in TV Money.

I have only missed one game this season and we had a huge problem when Ken went off the boil, whichever way you look at it he’s now back to his best.

The games Madine has played he’s been excellent and he offers us a different way of playing if need be, with Ken the ball needs to be played into the Chanel with Madine you can play it into him and he’s able to bring us players into play.

Ipswich where Warnock shocked everybody at half time and threw them both upfront they were very good playing off each other and I hope we see this repeated before the season ends.

Excellent piece of business by Warnock and I for one not questioning such a fee in today’s inflated market.

Your totally right a great gamble even if he didn't give Ken a kick up the arse.
If he scores one goal and it gives us the 3 points to promote us well all forget about the fee
cendl blue

Postby DandoCCFC » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:43 am

I think for me at the time when we needed to sign a striker was bringing in someone not only who can improve our chances of climbing up the table again but someone that could help us in the Premier League.

While I don't think Madine fits both sides of that I do feel we benefited more than bringing someone in Grabban who with his apparent attitude according to fans of other clubs he played for is not the best and could maybe upset the dressing room and not rubbed off on well on other strikers where Madine was someone making a name for himself at a lower club hoping to get attention from clubs higher up than Bolton who wouldn't be a nightmare attitude wise and would push Zohore for the spot in the first team and have a better impact on the morale of the squad. Warnock got this one spot on, even though he has showed a lot and hasn't had many games to do so it definitely had a mental affect on Zohore.

Even though I feel like Zohore was playing well and adapting his work rate and play to accommodate his fitness he has been getting in better areas and anticipating more in the box.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby 2blue2handle » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:45 pm

Bit of an odd article really, why single him out, it's impossible to tell at the moment with him having been out injured.
2blue2handle

Return to General Chat