If more players were like him

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:56 pm

He played a full game for the Republic of Ireland in Turkey last night and it has taken two flights for him to get here but it hasn't stopped Colin Doyle being in the starting line-up for the Bantams this afternoon.

Colin Doyle Bradford City
Attachments
29573316_10157200729828154_4171569711683983819_n.jpg
29573316_10157200729828154_4171569711683983819_n.jpg (68.87 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: If more players were like him

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:09 pm

And it was worth it

FT Bradford City 1 Gillingham 0

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Sven » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:23 pm

That's a man who WANTS to play football and today it worked a dream as The Bantams took all 3 points! :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:37 pm

Sven wrote:That's a man who WANTS to play football and today it worked a dream as The Bantams took all 3 points! :ayatollah:

Spot on Chris :thumbright: :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Forever Blue
Admin

Re: If more players were like Mark Hughes

Postby Chris Holmes » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:41 pm

The day Wales icon Mark Hughes did something unthinkable for a modern-day player

After the 1985 Heysel Stadium disaster led to a ban on English clubs playing in Europe, a number of players moved to the continent to ply their trade.
Gary Lineker and Ian Rush were among the high-profile stars who left the British Isles in search of glory overseas.

And Hughes was another who moved abroad, joining Barcelona from Manchester United in 1986 before being loaned out to Bayern Munich in the 1987/88 campaign.

"I’d been out of the Barcelona side for six months," Hughes told FourFourTwo in 2007.
"I had an eight-year contract so I was looking at another six years of training and going back to my apartment – that’s all I did.
"But I wanted to play and Bayern was perfect. The comparison between the two clubs was marked.

"Bayern have football people in charge. Uli Hoeness understood the mentality of players. Straight away your car was sorted, you knew where you lived, what time you had to be in – it was very German in many ways, but because of that I was very comfortable there.

"The football suited me, it was probably a halfway house between English and Spanish football, and I had a fantastic time. It’s a great club."

The unlikely tale of the part-time footballer who ended up playing for Wales with Ryan Giggs and Gareth Bale
How November 11, 1987 started...

Czechoslovakia 2-0 Wales
"I was due to play in a European Championship qualifier against Czechoslovakia which we needed to win to qualify," added Hughes.

"The week before, I’d signed for Bayern and I had dinner with Uli Hoeness who asked me what time the Wales match was. I told him it was around midday and he said: 'that’s OK then, you can play in the evening as well.'"

A Wales team containing the likes of Everton's 1986/87 title-winners Neville Southall, Kevin Ratcliffe and Pat Van den Hauwe as well as Liverpool legend Rush travelled to Prague for a European Championship qualifier against Czechoslovakia.

And Hughes started alongside Rush up-front as Wales suffered a 2-0 defeat in the Czech capital, with goals from Ivo Knoflicek and Michal Bilek proving enough for the hosts.

It was a defeat that left Mike England's side third in the overall standings in Group Six - behind Denmark and Czechoslovakia - meaning they had failed to qualify for the 1988 tournament in West Germany.

It proved to be England's final game in charge of the national side, although to this day he has taken charge of more Wales matches than any other manager, with current boss Coleman 15 behind the ex-Blackburn, Tottenham and Cardiff man's tally of 56 ahead of the crunch Ireland clash on Friday.

Later that day...
Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Mönchengladbach
After a 2-2 draw in the original fixture at The Bökelbergstadion, Bayern Munich were forced to replay their second round German Cup tie with Borussia Mönchengladbach.

And true to his word, Hoeness was keen for the Welshman to play.
Having featured for his country just hours earlier, Hughes boarded a flight from Prague to Berlin to play for the Bavarians as they looked to do the business on their home turf.

No ice baths, no protein shakes and certainly no over-sized headphones. Just straight on a flight and right back into the thick of the action.

"We actually flew over the ground and missed the first half, but I got there at the start of the second half," said Hughes.
"We didn’t tell anybody – there was a guy in the Bayern team who had a similar haircut to me and when they saw him warming up everybody thought it was me.

"Then they put my name up and I came on (in the 63rd minute). We were 2-0 down and I’d like to say I turned it round but I didn’t because I was hopelessly knackered.

"But the other guy who came on was Rummenigge’s younger brother; he scored two goals and we won."

Hughes went on to score in a 3-1 victory over Nuremburg in the third round of the competition, but it's safe to say November 11, 1987 will be a day Sparky won't forget in a hurry.

His legs still haven't recovered...

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/o ... in-one-day

In an era when top-flight players struggle to play twice in a week and managers love to bemoan the number of injuries sustained during an international break, the thought of one of the biggest stars in football turning out to compete in two games for two teams in ONE DAY is simply unthinkable; but astonishingly that’s just what Mark Hughes did on November 11, 1987.

The mid-1980s had seen something of a mass exodus from domestic football as much of the top talent at the time opted to ply their trade on the continent as the prospect of higher wages, bigger crowds and the chance to play European football, when all English clubs were banned following the tragedy at Heysel, was just too much of a temptation and Mark Hughes was no exception.

Having made a name for himself as a tough and fearless forward who was great in the air and with an incredible knack of volleying the ball goal wards from just about anywhere, Hughes was hot property and after helping Manchester United to FA Cup glory in 1985 soon attracted the attention of some of the game’s biggest names; so it wasn’t long before he joined Everton striker Gary Lineker in heading to Barcelona after the Catalan side made an audacious £2 million bid.
But after just one season in La Liga Hughes struggled to adjust to his new surroundings and suffered something of a disappointing second season under Terry Venables, soon finding himself out of favour at The Nou Camp; but having signed an eight year contract he needed to find a club that would take him on loan rather than simply stewing in his newly adopted city.
Luckily for the Welshman it wasn’t long before he was snapped up by Bayern Munich as his aggressive playing style and physical ability was seen as a better match for German football than Spanish and he quickly set the Bundesliga alight.
But it wasn’t just in Germany where he was proving his worth, Hughes was also a key part of an exciting Wales team who were in with a real chance of qualifying for their first major championships in nearly 30 years and it wasn’t long before he faced something of a conflict of interests.

With the likes of Neville Southall, Ian Rush, Kevin Ratcliffe and Pat Van den Hauwe alongside Hughes, Wales had a pretty useful side in 1987 and travelled to Prague to play Czechoslovakia in a game which they had to win if they were to qualify for Euro ’88 in Germany – the only problem was, Bayern had a German Cup replay with Borussia Mönchengladbach that day too.

"The week before, I’d signed for Bayern and I had dinner with Uli Hoeness who asked me what time the Wales match was,” Hughes told Four Four Two. “I told him it was around 4.30 and he said: 'that’s OK then, you can play in the evening as well.'"
So Hughes started up-front for Wales that afternoon as his side were soundly beaten 2-0 in the Czech capital thanks to strikes from Ivo Knoflicek and Michal Bilek, a defeat which left Mike England's men behind Denmark and Czechoslovakia in Group Six and unable to qualify for the following summer’s tournament.

With no time to reflect on the defeat, let alone a warm-down, energy drink or whatever the equivalent of an ice bath was back then, Hughes immediately headed to the airport and jumped on a flight to Germany so that he could fulfil his obligations and play for his club as they looked to progress in the cup.

“We actually flew over the ground and missed the first half.” Hughes explained. “But I got there at the start of the second half.” To say Sparky changed the game would be something of an exaggeration as, in his own words, he was: “hopelessly knackered,” but his introduction did have something of an impact on the outcome of the match as Bayern came from two goals down to win the tie in the ultimate display of dedication and endurance.

You wouldn’t get an international game played on the same day as top-flight league football or cup fixtures these days, but if it was to happen can you imagine one of today’s precious Premier League players making the effort or even being allowed to play two games in a day? No, didn’t think so.
Chris Holmes

Return to General Chat