Premier League Problems

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Premier League Problems

Postby Blue_Barber » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:00 pm

I like most of you are excited about the possibility of our club reaching the premier league next season, playing in blue and a new ethos.

However - can we realistically compete or are we looking at a season of being the whipping boys of the league forever in the doldrums and written off before a balls kicked?

1 - investment - the fees being paid at the top level across the world are beyond belief your historical £2m player is now inflated to £5-7m which once got you the level up. Now we’re taking £15m plus for a decent step above so to revamp the first XI could cost £100m+ is Tan prepared to invest now we’re back in blue?

2- players - is our existing squad capable of premier league - we’ve punched above our weight all season, and for me our current squad would only contain a few PL club fringe players, perhaps Paterson, Morrison could start with Etheridge, Bamba, Manga, Hoilett, Ralls being bench warmers at any other club.

Interesting to see your thoughts
Blue_Barber

Premier League Problems

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Premiership problems

Postby paulh_85 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:10 pm

Blue_Barber wrote:I like most of you are excited about the possibility of our club reaching the premier league next season, playing in blue and a new ethos.

However - can we realistically compete or are we looking at a season of being the whipping boys of the league forever in the doldrums and written off before a balls kicked?

1 - investment - the fees being paid at the top level across the world are beyond belief your historical £2m player is now inflated to £5-7m which once got you the level up. Now we’re taking £15m plus for a decent step above so to revamp the first XI could cost £100m+ is Tan prepared to invest now we’re back in blue?

2- players - is our existing squad capable of premier league - we’ve punched above our weight all season, and for me our current squad would only contain a few PL club fringe players, perhaps Paterson, Morrison could start with Etheridge, Bamba, Manga, Hoilett, Ralls being bench warmers at any other club.

look at other clubs who have done things in the right way and been able to compete.

of course its possible
paulh_85

Postby TERRYB » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:13 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Blue_Barber wrote:I like most of you are excited about the possibility of our club reaching the premier league next season, playing in blue and a new ethos.

look at other clubs who have done things in the right way and been able to compete.

of course its possible

If A club like Bournemouth can, WE CAN.
TERRYB

Postby Sven » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:20 pm

1 - Investment: Say what you want but Vincent Tan certainly 'invested' when we were in the Premier League last time out and there were a number of other (well discussed) factors that contributed to our immediate relegation. Who is to say he won't invest again? Maybe not at the same level but then again, we don't have a manager who needs to pay stupid money and (as in Acorn and others) take a punt in the hope they pay off

2 - Players: We have the basis of a squad that can go forward into the Premier League and, with one or two additions in sector of the field, make a decent fist of it. In my opinion, we haven't 'punched above our weight' but more 'surprised' people and we have the background team (and I include the likes of Ken Choo) in place to ensure any additionalmoney is spent wisely and efficiently

The key points for this (potential) promotion are three:

1 - The club itself has learned from the debacle that unfurled last time out and the infrastructure is now sound

2 - We have a manager and coaching staff that knows what they are doing and also have the trust of the owner

3 - The fanbase is a little more settled after previous events and hopefully the external politics will be gone

Whatever happens, all I will be asking myself is "How much worse can it be than last time?" and the simple answer is that in all likelihood it cannot, so I'm going to sit back in my (season-ticketed seat) and enjoy watching what unfolds in the full knowledge it won't be for the sake of trying by those in charge of the team and club

Hoping it happens, enjoying the ride and looking forward to the experience under better circumstances :thumbright: :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Dahboy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:23 pm

Under Warnock we will get relegated in the first season.
Dahboy

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:52 pm

Dahboy wrote:Under Warnock we will get relegated in the first season.

Stats tell you any manager as good chance to get a promoted club relegated :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby Welshman in CA » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:59 pm

Maybe we should wait to get there first. It's starting to sound like the Wolves board around here.
Welshman in CA

Postby paulh_85 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:04 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:Maybe we should wait to get there first. It's starting to sound like the Wolves board around here.

whats wrong with having the discussion?

People were talking about which players could step up to the prem at the start of the season
paulh_85

Postby Sven » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:28 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:Maybe we should wait to get there first. It's starting to sound like the Wolves board around here.

whats wrong with having the discussion?

People were talking about which players could step up to the prem at the start of the season

No problem asking the question at all :thumbright:

I think some on here are superstitious, whilst others (occasionally including you) just feel the need to comment when the content is not really warranted or appropriate ;)

PS: It's Premier League (Premiership is a northern rugby competition) :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Re: Premier League Problems

Postby Blue_Barber » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:32 pm

Can you see him investing to the required standard though? Money’s increased in the game Big style since we were last up there and I feel like we need a good 13 players in the team
Blue_Barber

Postby Sven » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:45 pm

Blue_Barber wrote:Can you see him investing to the required standard though? Money’s increased in the game Big style since we were last up there and I feel like we need a good 13 players in the team

But the rewards are greater too...and I don't think most sane Bluebird fans would look beyond mere survival (we might 'hope' for more) in the short-term and the west scenario (immediate relegation) has to be managed a lot better than last time

The club itself has learned massive lessons from our previous experience and that can only be good :ayatollah:
Sven

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:33 pm

Sven wrote:
Blue_Barber wrote:Can you see him investing to the required standard though? Money’s increased in the game Big style since we were last up there and I feel like we need a good 13 players in the team

But the rewards are greater too...and I don't think most sane Bluebird fans would look beyond mere survival (we might 'hope' for more) in the short-term and the west scenario (immediate relegation) has to be managed a lot better than last time

The club itself has learned massive lessons from our previous experience and that can only be good :ayatollah:

Its a win win to be honest. If we go up then straight back down we'll keep the majority of the squad together and Warnock will still be in contract :thumbright:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Return to General Chat