Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREAKING: DERBY COUNTY LIED / AS POLICE CONFIRM

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:34 pm

Derbyshire Police confirm they were NOT behind the decision to postpone Derby County Vs Cardiff City

Monday 19th March 2018

Derbyshire Police have confirmed they were not part of the decision to postpone Derby County’s home clash with Cardiff City on Sunday.

The fixture wall called off due to severe weather conditions which saw much of the UK covered in snow and ice, but the decision was met with lots of opposition.

Pictures soon emerged of Pride Park, Derby’s home ground, looking rather snow free and Cardiff City’s staff and players were among those voicing their complaints.

The Bluebirds arrived at the ground to discover that very few staff were on-site, questioning whether every effort was in fact made to get the game on.

The club shop was also open and advertised to the public, suggesting the areas around the ground were safe, though, it was then closed.

Suspicions were raised with Derby having only 10 senior players available for training in the days leading up to the game and in similar weather conditions, the Rams managed to play their home fixture against Fulham just over two weeks ago.

Derby maintain that the decision was purely made on safety grounds.

Cardiff City are communicating with the EFL about the postponement of the game, but the league chiefs’ most recent response is as follows:

“The decision to postpone this afternoon’s fixture was made first thing on Sunday morning following discussions between Derby County, Derbyshire Police and the local Safety Advisory Group (SAG).

“It was taken in the interests of spectator safety and followed heavy overnight snow falling in the Derby area which had built up on the roads surrounding the stadium.

“Cardiff City were informed of the decision and the reasons behind it as soon as it was reached. An announcement was made at 8.30am.

“The EFL is satisfied from the information shared with us that these were the reasons the match was postponed and will provide Cardiff City with the opportunity to provide any additional information / evidence they feel is relevant, before responding further.”

In another twist, Derbyshire Police have today confirmed that the decision was taken ‘independently’ by the club, throwing up even more questions.

Cardiff City officials are said to be furious with the decision Derby made on Sunday with many of their supporters already well on their way to the East Midlands.

Bluebirds boss Neil Warnock also had his say. Speaking to Sky Sports News at Pride Park on Sunday, he said: “I believe it’s a big travesty this, today. There’s nobody here (Pride Park). They were all embarrassed when we walked through the doors. It’s an embarrassing situation for everyone.”

Derby County have told Sky Sports News that they are angry with Warnock’s comments, and they remain adamant that they followed the correct procedures.

The rearranged fixture is now likely to take place at the earliest available date, which is the 17th or 18th April and Warnock says he will ‘fight tooth and nail’ to avoid that.

It would mean Cardiff City will have three away fixtures on the bounce before the end of the season.

The EFL say Cardiff will have their opportunity to submit an appeal with evidence. However, at this stage, it looks unlikely that any action will be taken against Derby County.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: BREAKING DERBY COUNTY TOOK DECISION / NOT THE POLICE

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:35 pm

LIED

– SPOKESPERSON FOR DERBY COUNTY FC

We fully complied with all the matchday operational regulations surrounding the postponement of the game.

The decision was fully supported by the independent Safety Advisory Grou / Police who are responsible for ensuring that the club complies with the terms and conditions of our Safety Certificate.

Derbyshire Police confirm they were NOT behind the decision to postpone Derby County Vs Cardiff City

Derbyshire Police

@DerbysPolice
For clarity, Derby County Football Club took the decision to postpone the match due to the weather conditions and the health and safety of people travelling to the ground. The club made this decision independently. It was not made by Derbyshire Constabulary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: BREAKING DERBY COUNTY LIED / AS POLICE CONFIRM

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:37 pm

DERBY COUNTY FC

“The decision to postpone this afternoon’s fixture was made first thing on Sunday morning following discussions between Derby County, Derbyshire Police and the local Safety Advisory Group (SAG).

“It was taken in the interests of spectator safety and followed heavy overnight snow falling in the Derby area which had built up on the roads surrounding the stadium.

“Cardiff City were informed of the decision and the reasons behind it as soon as it was reached. An announcement was made at 8.30am.

“The EFL is satisfied from the information shared with us that these were the reasons the match was postponed and will provide Cardiff City with the opportunity to provide any additional information / evidence they feel is relevant, before responding further.”

In another twist, Derbyshire Police have today confirmed that the decision was taken ‘independently’ by the club, throwing up even more questions.

Derbyshire Police

@DerbysPolice
For clarity, Derby County Football Club took the decision to postpone the match due to the weather conditions and the health and safety of people travelling to the ground. The club made this decision independently. It was not made by Derbyshire Constabulary.

Re: BREAKING: DERBY COUNTY LIED / AS POLICE CONFIRM

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:49 pm

Derby police have thrown Derby County under the bus there.

Surely changes the EFL view?

Have to say I initially thought they had good reason to postpone, but the evidence since has changed my view on that for sure.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:50 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Derby police have thrown Derby County under the bus there.

Have to say I initially thought they had good reason to postpone, but the evidence since has changed my view on that for sure.

They certainly have Ned :D :thumbright:

And for me this changes it big time with the EFL :thumbright: :bluebird:

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:00 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Derby police have thrown Derby County under the bus there.

They certainly have Ned :D :thumbright:

And for me this changes it big time with the EFL :thumbright: :bluebird:

Annis derby stated they followed the protocol for calling off game but looking at evidence They are being economical with the truth especially to efl :thumbup:

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:01 pm

The club wanted the game postponed to give them a better opportunity when they can field a stronger team.
The weather provided a viable excuse to call it off.
Was a pitch inspection done at any point?
Where was the referee?
Were the Police asked for / or did they suggest any advice?
Were the team/supporters advised not to travel?
Why was the clubshop open for business.
How did the Derby squad know not to turn up?
Etc etc etc

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:01 pm

EFL will do nothing and will make us play the re arranged game on the 17th or 18th. If the boot was on the other foot I’m sure we would end up with a Point deduction

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:12 pm

[quote="AberdareCCFC1966"]EFL will do nothing and will make us play the re arranged game on the 17th or 18th. If the boot was on the other foot I’m sure we would end up with a Point deduction[/quote

The issue here is not whether the police called it off but whether they were part of the consultation team or not? That needs to be established. If not then it is clear that Derby lied and should have the book thrown at them by the EFL who will be in breach of their own regulations if they do nothing. Also, how can they possibly ignore the fact the game was called off but the club shop advertised it was open. Did they forget to tell their own staff not to go to work?

I was wondering about why the Derby players knew not to turn up, but just put it down to be too early, but that is an interesting question too...

The hole just gets deeper and deeper and they really should stop digging and come clean about this.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:13 pm

[quote="AberdareCCFC1966"]EFL will do nothing and will make us play the re arranged game on the 17th or 18th. If the boot was on the other foot I’m sure we would end up with a Point deduction[/quote

The issue here is not whether the police called it off but whether they were part of the consultation team or not? That needs to be established. If not then it is clear that Derby lied and should have the book thrown at them by the EFL who will be in breach of their own regulations if they do nothing. Also, how can they possibly ignore the fact the game was called off but the club shop advertised it was open. Did they forget to tell their own staff not to go to work?

I was wondering about why the Derby players knew not to turn up, but just put it down to be too early, but that is an interesting question too...

The hole just gets deeper and deeper and they really should stop digging and come clean about this.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:22 pm

I can’t see how the EFL can do nothing, their own statement is clear that after discussions with the police SAG and the club; DCFC, the game should be cancelled. The police have more than distanced themselves from that statement. So now it is fairly clear Derby County have called the game off and not discussed it with the police at all just told the EFL they did.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:27 pm

Mr Potato wrote:I can’t see how the EFL can do nothing, their own statement is clear that after discussions with the police SAG and the club; DCFC, the game should be cancelled. The police have more than distanced themselves from that statement. So now it is fairly clear Derby County have called the game off and not discussed it with the police at all just told the EFL they did.

Not disagreeing mate but I am just asking the question - did they consult the police at all, because the police statement doesn't make that clear, and it is obviously a pretty important detail.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:28 pm

I've not been this angry in a long time, I've never liked Derby but I HATE them now, what a shit club with a shitter manager, I feel for some of their fans who seem a sound bunch but they have done the absolute dirty on us.

I hope the EFL review and dock them points and allow us to play them on 24th April.

What a shambles of a situation and for Derby to say they're angry with Neil's comments, they are a disgrace to the football community.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:33 pm

So Derbyshire police tweet a few hours ago they had no involvement in the decision and it was solely Derby. sky news at 330 stated that EFL confirm Derbyshire police had ruled the area around ground as unsafe.
Worse than trying to work out which one of my kids started a fight at home!
When is the safety group going to have their say and add to this nonsense?!

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:40 pm

Yeah no that’s cool I wasn’t coming back at you just in general, but the key is in Derbyshire polices tweet stating the club took the decision indepently. I am pretty sure DP would have happily stayed if it was discussed and best advice was to postpone.

In my opinion It reads that they lied to the football league about it all. Of course my opinion doesn’t count for poo but to be told it was discussed with police for police to say no it wasn’t is quite a big issue I think.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Mr Potato wrote:Yeah no that’s cool I wasn’t coming back at you just in general, but the key is in Derbyshire polices tweet stating the club took the decision indepently. I am pretty sure DP would have happily stayed if it was discussed and best advice was to postpone.

In my opinion It reads that they lied to the football league about it all. Of course my opinion doesn’t count for poo but to be told it was discussed with police for police to say no it wasn’t is quite a big issue I think.

Hopefully there's been some movement today in regards to the EFL trying to obtain evidence. The Police are basically saying 'It wasn't me' as if they know something dodgy has gone on and don't want to be associated with it. Otherwise why say anything?

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:55 pm

Simple facts are Derby have pulled a fast one and they got the game cancelled because it suited them. They thought they would lose.. Rowlett body language in his press conferences says it all.

The facts were, that there obviously was some snow about and they have gone down the personal safety route which inevitably means they are obviously going to get away with it and there is nothing we can do

Would we have done the same in their position I would hope not but wouldn't completely rule it out

All the evidence points to the fact the game could and should have gone ahead everybody knows that and it stinks for all the fans both ours and Derby who made a collosual effort to get to the ground in difficult conditions

There is no use moaning about it because Derby will not face any sanctions regardless of the true facts

What we can do is go up there for the rearranged game and beat them as a big thank you to the fans who travelled and wasted their Sunday

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:55 pm

The EFL seem to be trying as hard as Derby to sweep this under the mat. It almost doesn't matter who made the decision. There was never a decision to make.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:58 pm

The Club has issued the following statement from CEO, Ken Choo, regarding the postponement of Sunday’s fixture at Derby County

The Bluebirds’ CEO is in contact with the EFL to determine why the game was postponed and how that decision was reached.

Cardiff City FC Executive Director & CEO, Ken Choo, has said the following in response to Sunday’s postponement with Derby County.

“I completely understand the frustrations of our supporters, particularly those who travelled to Derby this past weekend.

"I share their frustrations and am in dialogue with the EFL to determine exactly why the game was postponed and how that decision was reached.

"We look forward to the EFL's response and will update our supporters in due course.”

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:04 pm

Don't think is was ever a case for the Referee, as condition of the pitch was never in doubt

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:25 pm

I've just read that the Derby Dodgers also advised the council that the game was cancelled after the fact. So they have lied about 'consulting' with both the Police and Council.

What a shitbag of a club. The EFL really need to take action against them and quickly.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:27 pm

Derbyshire Police distance themselves from decision

As I said, that statement begs more questions than answers - especially the line about Derbyshire Police.

The EFL statement states that discussions were held with the local police, but the police themselves insist that isn’t the case.

They have gone out of their way to distance themselves from the situation.

Very interesting...

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:29 pm

:shock:

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:49 pm

Classic deflection strategy being played by Derby and the EFL here. Derby are hell bent on going down the road of having followed the procedure. The EFL will agree they followed the procedure and so therefor its all OK. The actual facts that there was no snow preventing the game going ahead or affecting the vicinity of the ground wont get a look in. Whitewash coming I'm afraid.

The EFL wont want to penalise Derby on this - the stakes are too high. Middlesborough gave them no choice with that previous incident as they told everyone what they were doing in advance.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:52 pm

The whole thing is a complete farce and if nothing is done about it then It will not be forgotten for a long long time! i still can't believe it really - I've seen matches played in far worse conditions - championship and premier league matches. They cannot get away with this though, like Warnock said its a disgrace. Why should we now have to play the match in April with a really busy schedule and some tough teams away from home along with - oh wait - a fully fit derby county squad! If we had done this there would be absolute uproar I can tell you.

Not that it would have directly been Derbys fault but could you imagine if God forbid one of our fans had an accident or something on the way back from the match! And the trip was also all for nothing. I have absolute no respect for Derby after this and I will never set foot in that place again!

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:14 pm

Head of the Safety Advisory Group now saying the first involvement he had was after he was told the game was off

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:17 pm

Story on the BBC that the EFL is investigating.

There's a link here

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=194219

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:18 pm

Lawnmower wrote:Head of the Safety Advisory Group now saying the first involvement he had was after he was told the game was off

WOW. I speculated earlier today that the meeting never took place. I concluded they weren't that stupid. Not so sure now!

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:18 pm

Lawnmower wrote:Head of the Safety Advisory Group now saying the first involvement he had was after he was told the game was off

Where did you get this info mate because if right, coupled with the police already distancing themselves from any involvement then i really cannot see how the EFL can sweep this under the carpet.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:33 pm

Everyone is talking about the procedure which needs to be followed before a game is called off. Does anyone know exactly what that procedure is?

By that I mean does it have to be a unanimous decision (DCFC/Safe Advisory Group/Police) or can just one of them pull the plug?