Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CARDIFF CITY SQUAD TO SHARE £10m 'BONUS' IF THEY ACHIEVE...

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:49 am

Cardiff squad to split potential £10m prize pot between themselves if they gain promotion to the Premier League
By Laurie Whitwell

Friday 23rd February 2018

The Bluebirds squad will split the eight-figure sum for going up automatically

Cardiff's players are in line to share a potential prize pot of £10million should they gain promotion to the Premier League, Sportsmail can reveal.

In one of the Championship's most generous bonus schemes, the squad will split the eight-figure sum for going up automatically.

If Neil Warnock's side manage to reach the Premier League via the play-offs the total money pool reduces to £8m, which is still high for the division.

Before each season all clubs agree bonus schemes with their players to incentivise certain targets but the amounts vary. Cardiff's £10m total is regarded as at the top end by rivals.

For example, Burnley's players shared £8.5m for Premier League survival last season. Leicester's squad were handed £6.5m for winning the Premier League title in 2015-16, having only planned for finishing above 12th.

The substantial numbers indicate Cardiff's aspirations at the start of the campaign and underline the fine work being done by Warnock, as well as a group of players performing at peak levels.

Burnley's players shared a prize pot of £8.5million for Premier League survival last season

Leicester's squad were handed £6.5m for winning the Premier League title in 2015-16

The club's 1-0 win at Ipswich on Wednesday night trimmed the gap to leaders Wolves to nine points and left third-place Aston Villa four behind with 13 games left. After a difficult Christmas period Cardiff have won five and drawn two of the past seven Championship matches.

Having finished 12th last season, promotion was seen as a highly challenging objective seven months ago but owner Vincent Tan would happily hand over the reward should Cardiff complete the job and seal a lucrative return to the top flight after a four-year absence.

It is understood Cardiff's money would be shared equally per match by each member of Warnock's 18-man squad, regardless of whether individuals actually played or not.

Should Cardiff go up automatically it would translate as approximately £215,000 allocated for each fixture and mean £12,000 per player.

Those who feature in all 46 games would receive north of £550,000. The glory of reaching the Premier League is indisputably the driving factor in Cardiff's performances, however.

Warnock, who took over in October 2016 with the team second from bottom, would also be rewarded with a handsome bonus should he achieve a record eighth promotion of his managerial career.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: CARDIFF CITY SQUAD TO SHARE £10m 'BONUS' IF THEY ACHIEVE

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:18 am

I find this amazing when the club have been cost cutting for a number of years.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:24 am

theclaw wrote:I find this amazing when the club have been cost cutting for a number of years.

Incentives for getting players here probably pay lower wages knowing NW way. :thumbup:

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:25 am

We get 120m if promoted,nothing lost if we don't.Good thinking Mr Tan.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:28 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:We get 120m if promoted,nothing lost if we don't.Good thinking Mr Tan.

I think this ones on NW not Tan.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:30 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:We get 120m if promoted,nothing lost if we don't.Good thinking Mr Tan.

I doubt that very much :lol: Even if it was NW's idea it would have to backed up by VT.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:34 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:

:lol: Have a lie down butty,Tan's funding this and I expect the gaffer will be on a nice little bonus of his own should we get promotion.All via Mr Tan's say so or do you know someone else that has the authority to sanction this.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:51 am

Warnock responds to reports of promotin bonus

NEIL WARNOCK:

"You have to take it with a pinch of salt. I read in the same report that Leicester has £6.7 or something but inflation, eh? Money doesn’t come into it. In the Championship, you don’t think about it, it’s just about getting the points on board."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:53 am

Bristol City 'long ball merchants'

NEIL WARNOCK:

"I’ll be very surprised if they don’t play long ball on Sunday, the last two times we’ve played them, they’ve been the long ball merchants. You’re always learning as a young manager and you look back on your bad times. You’ve got to have bad times so you can learn from them and Lee will look back on last season."

" The main thing for a young manager is to have a good chairman and Lee, well, he’s won the pools really with Steve Lansdown."

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:42 pm

Ok if that’s the thinking fair enough,but at the same time say to season ticket sales buy one this year and if we go up half price in the prem.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:45 pm

theclaw wrote:I find this amazing when the club have been cost cutting for a number of years.

Why? Only payable if we go up and the riches that it brings.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:58 pm

I’d rather £10m extra on transfer kitty if we up :thumbright:

Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:07 pm

theclaw wrote:I’d rather £10m extra on transfer kitty if we up :thumbright:

Wouldn’t everyone? But this is money well spent. Only pay if we go up.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:21 pm

theclaw wrote:I’d rather £10m extra on transfer kitty if we up :thumbright:

Have to get there 1st! And thats the hardest bit, like many businesses bonuses are part of the rewards to employees for success! 10 mil is a bit high, but all the clubs will have this in contracts to players, Villa, Derby, Brentford et all, just the amount is different. It has to be lodged before the season starts, you couldnt do it now for example. Also wasnt this the start of the problem with Vincent and Malky, as Vincent wasnt happy with the amount we had to pay the squad after winning promotion?