' Neil Etheridge Could Become '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:03 am

Neil Etheridge, Philippines dreaming of English Premier League

Cardiff City goalkeeper Neil Etheridge could become the first southeast Asian to play in the English Premier League

Thursday 22nd February 2018

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia — Cardiff City goalkeeper Neil Etheridge could become the first southeast Asian to play in the English Premier League later this year, and also help develop soccer in his native Philippines.

Etheridge has missed just one game in Cardiff’s push to be promoted to the Premier League from The Championship, English’s soccer second tier. With 13 games of the 46 remaining in the 2017-18 season, Cardiff sits in second place and is on course to join the richest and most popular soccer league in the world.

“We are not thinking of the Premier League just yet,” Etheridge, born in London in 1990 to an English father and Filipino mother, told The Associated Press.

“Physically, mentally and emotionally, The Championship is a very strong level of football. I would argue that it is right up there with some of the best leagues and is hard to get out of.”

The Championship contains two former European title winners and is in the top 10 of the most-watched leagues in the world with an average attendance in 2017-18 of over 20,000. The battle for promotion is fierce.

“There are big clubs paying large amounts of money to try and get into the Premier League,” said Etheridge. “It would be a dream to play there.”

It has been a dream for many southeast Asian players. Soccer is the most popular sport in every country in the region except the Philippines, but having a player in the Premier League, closely-followed in southeast Asia, could make a difference.

“I hope it would have a significant impact on the game here,” Chris Greatwich, a former national teammate of Etheridge, said. “When Cardiff played Manchester City in the FA Cup recently there was a real buzz as Neil faced some of the best players in the world. To have a player from the Philippines there every week would be very exciting.”

Greatwich is the head coach of Kaya, a leading club in the Philippines Football League, the country’s first nationwide professional league first established in 2017.

With the second season due to kick off in March, there are issues with two of the eight teams withdrawing due to financial issues.

As well as Etheridge in the Premier League, the Philippines qualifying for the 2019 Asian Cup for the first time could help. The national team only has to avoid defeat at home to Tajikistan on March 27 to do so.

“The Asian Cup is a massive deal,” Greatwich said. “If you had said 10 years ago that we would be one game away from playing Korea, Japan and Australia then people would have laughed. Hopefully, it will be a watershed moment for the impact it could have on the domestic game here.”

Fans in the Philippines are hoping that Etheridge can transfer his form in England, where he has stopped the opposition from scoring in 15 league games so far this season, back to southeast Asia next month.

“You can really feel his presence when he is with the national team,” Greatwich said. “He is a big personality. He has been with the national team for 10 years and given what he is done and is doing, when he speaks people listen.”

Etheridge made his international debut in 2008 at the age of 18. Even in the middle of a promotion campaign, he’s looking forward to returning to international duty.

“We need a draw to make history,” he said of the Tajikistan match. “I have been part of that for 10 years and it has been a fantastic journey through thick and thin. It is a massive game.”
Attachments
AP18053201528490.jpg
AP18053201528490.jpg (132 KiB) Viewed 2917 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ' Neil Etheridge Could Become '

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:40 am

He seems to have grown in confidence as the season has gone on. We need him to be at his best for the run in as well.
2blue2handle

Postby billy ronson » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:12 am

Most improved player this season ...Keep it up Neil :ayatollah:
.Andy Dibble must be doing some right :bluescarf:
I'm free to be
Whatever I, whatever I choose
And I'll sing the blues if I want
billy ronson

Postby DandoCCFC » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:34 pm

I think he has been solid all season.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby Gaynor Straight » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:26 pm

He's been excellent this season and definitely seems to have more confidence since returning after being dropped.

Surely though he won't be the first from SE Asian to play in the Premier League- our own Kim Bo Kyung being one of many
Gaynor Straight

Postby lyndipops » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:30 pm

Gaynor Straight wrote:He's been excellent this season and definitely seems to have more confidence since returning after being dropped.

Surely though he won't be the first from SE Asian to play in the Premier League- our own Kim Bo Kyung being one of many

First keeper perhaps?? :?:
"For an idea that does not first seem insane, there is no hope."

Albert Einstein
lyndipops

Return to General Chat