Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: “ Footballer apologises after painting himself black “

Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:11 pm

Sven wrote:
ae15 wrote:Whether it is offensive or not, he must have known that it is now clearly a social no no and as a person of his stature it was clearly incredibly callous to do so.

Explain to me why it's socially unacceptable and/or callous (misguided might have been a better word)? :?

All I see is a guy in fancy dress going out for an evening that is clearly not intended to mock or incite hatred, so by the reasoning of some above, should we now ban all fancy dress parties or stop kids from dressing up or ban actors from participating in theatre plays? :?

The people who (rightly in many cases) want to drive pure 'racism' out of this country and beyond really need to pick their battles more carefully in order to properly educate minds and ultimately rid us of the real racism that occurs from within certain sections of all our communities ;) :(

Good point

But 'blacking up' is linked to real racism and has a history of devaluing black people, stereotyping and used as a way to humiliate black people. So while I absolutely don't think that Griezman would condone any of that I think in the context of the history of 'blackface' he should have known better. So it is not about fancy dress but much more loaded and provocative than dressing up.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:21 pm

Don’t see anything wrong with it personally. :lol:

3280532C-9EE8-40D4-A3CE-D3868BDF3A28.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:23 pm

AfricanBluebird wrote:
Sven wrote:
ae15 wrote:Whether it is offensive or not, he must have known that it is now clearly a social no no and as a person of his stature it was clearly incredibly callous to do so.

Explain to me why it's socially unacceptable and/or callous (misguided might have been a better word)? :?

All I see is a guy in fancy dress going out for an evening that is clearly not intended to mock or incite hatred, so by the reasoning of some above, should we now ban all fancy dress parties or stop kids from dressing up or ban actors from participating in theatre plays? :?

The people who (rightly in many cases) want to drive pure 'racism' out of this country and beyond really need to pick their battles more carefully in order to properly educate minds and ultimately rid us of the real racism that occurs from within certain sections of all our communities ;) :(

Good point

But 'blacking up' is linked to real racism and has a history of devaluing black people, stereotyping and used as a way to humiliate black people. So while I absolutely don't think that Griezman would condone any of that I think in the context of the history of 'blackface' he should have known better. So it is not about fancy dress but much more loaded and provocative than dressing up.

people need to be historians now :roll:

i think everyone should be able to judge for themselves the motives of someone who does this, and its clearly not him being racist so why cant people leave it like that?

Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:31 pm

You obviously can't use fancy dress now!!..all people in costumes should be arrested..where's santa?

Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:38 pm

He's done nothing wrong! Where is people's sense of humor? Another example of political correctness gone mad.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:21 pm

AfricanBluebird wrote:
Sven wrote:

Good point

Thank you for that. Appreciated and I see your point with regard to people using provocation and that should never be allowed no matter how it is done :thumbright:

However, on this occasion, I just think Griezman has been singled out for no reason other than who he is rather than for anything he has truly done wrong and feel that a proverbial mountain has been made out of a molehill for the purposes of others yet again and it does the 'bigger picture of defeating genuine racism' no good at all :(

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:30 pm

Sven wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:
Sven wrote:

Good point

Thank you for that. Appreciated and I see your point with regard to people using provocation and that should never be allowed no matter how it is done :thumbright:

However, on this occasion, I just think Griezman has been singled out for no reason other than who he is rather than for anything he has truly done wrong and feel that a proverbial mountain has been made out of a molehill for the purposes of others yet again and it does the 'bigger picture of defeating genuine racism' no good at all :(

I agree with AfricanBluebird. I don't personally think that it's racist necessarily to do so, it's the fact that he should have known better. As long as it isn't mocking someone, I don't think that it should be, in principle, offensive. As a person in a position of responsibility, he should know however that blacking up has negative connotations and it was very foolish of him to do it.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:37 pm

Can someone explain the difference between this and Russ Abbott wearing a Jimmy Wig and a tartan cap and ripping the piss out of Scots people and someone dressing up as a black basketball player.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:51 pm

Morgan Freeman talking sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRnTovm26I4

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:23 pm

ae15 wrote:
Sven wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:
Sven wrote:

Good point

I agree with AfricanBluebird. I don't personally think that it's racist necessarily to do so, it's the fact that he should have known better. As long as it isn't mocking someone, I don't think that it should be, in principle, offensive. As a person in a position of responsibility, he should know however that blacking up has negative connotations and it was very foolish of him to do it.

Sorry but you've clearly contradicted yourself, whilst AfricanBluebird made some valid points. It's clearly not racist and it's not mocking (I believe it was a tribute to The Harlem Globetrotters) so how can it be even "in principle" offensive or foolish unless other parties (excuse the pun) want to make it so? :?

I repeat my comment that this kind of publicity simply feeds those with petty/suspect agendas and does huge disservice those genuinely trying to stop real racism occurring in everyday society :(

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:28 pm

What was he thinking mind........what a numpty

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:41 pm

If anyone finds it offensive then I think the world has gone crazy. Its fancy dress FFS

Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:55 pm

Sven wrote:
ae15 wrote:
Sven wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:
Sven wrote:

Good point

Sorry but you've clearly contradicted yourself, whilst AfricanBluebird made some valid points. It's clearly not racist and it's not mocking (I believe it was a tribute to The Harlem Globetrotters) so how can it be even "in principle" offensive or foolish unless other parties (excuse the pun) want to make it so? :?

I repeat my comment that this kind of publicity simply feeds those with petty/suspect agendas and does huge disservice those genuinely trying to stop real racism occurring in everyday society :(

Well no? How can AfricanBluebird be making valid points saying how it was offensive but without ill intentions and I say the same but I'm wrong? I never said what Griezmann did was offensive because he wasn't mocking people BUT he should know that it is widely viewed as socially unacceptable and a footballer shouldn't be endorsing it.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:00 pm

He was outfit impersonating the Harlem globetrotters! Whats the issue ?

This is why this world has gone mad. It's now not acceptable for a person with white skin to impersonate an iconic brand / team like the Harlem globetrotters but then it's acceptable for the Wayans brothers to dress up as "white chicks" and completely take the piss (and basically be racist) towards white rich girls. It's called reverse racism!

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:06 pm

AfricanBluebird wrote:Just go and ask some black people what they think. Just because you don't think they should be offended doesn't mean you're right.

Therefore if I want to book a Caribbean holiday to get a sun tan (which for all intense and purposes is 'blacking up') I should first seek permission from black people?

Should Black people ask me before applying talcum powder to their face or hands just in case I'm offended?

The nonsense in your argument is so obvious. You say the black people you live with are offended, the black people I have asked laughed and said they should pull themselves together because they have common sense.

If Griezmann had dressed as a slave or slave master then there would have been a direct racist link. Dressing as a member of the Harlem Globtrotters is a direct link to a basketball team, end of.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:11 pm

ae15 wrote:

So blacking up is negative? Surely that is a racist view?

There is a saying that Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so far from being negative Griezmann was flattering people of colour. :D

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:23 pm

We will never eradicate racism as long as these pc types keep looking for anything to scream racism at. They can't see that they are actually perpetuating the problem by constantly banging on about it.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:25 pm

frazier wrote:We will never eradicate racism as long as these pc types keep looking for anything to scream racism at. They can't see that they are actually perpetuating the problem by constantly banging on about it.

Couldn't agree more and it is about time black and Asian racists were called out to.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:31 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
frazier wrote:We will never eradicate racism as long as these pc types keep looking for anything to scream racism at. They can't see that they are actually perpetuating the problem by constantly banging on about it.

Couldn't agree more and it is about time black and Asian racists were called out too.

The world gone mad. It's now socially acceptable to be racist towards people with white skin. It's called reverse racism.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:35 pm

Couldn't agree more and it is about time black and Asian racists were called out to.

Agreed. Unfortunately the pc brigade think that only white people can be racist.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:01 pm

Without knowing anyone on here I'd like to take a guess that the majority who don't see this as offensive are white.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:13 pm

ae15 wrote:

So blacking up is negative? Surely that is a racist view?

There is a saying that Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so far from being negative Griezmann was flattering people of colour. :D

people get so twisted up by trying to come across as righteous and pc correct. they miss the point..

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:07 pm

african bluebird how can this act come into the lines of racism under any circumstance he has not practice an act of discrimination towards the black race so why would you try to make people empathy you? for attention and to make yourself feel of importance do us all a favour stop taking offence to petty things and take a seat swan.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:00 am

AfricanBluebird wrote:
welshrarebit wrote:
salopiancity wrote:F—————g worlds gone mad. :cry:

Sadly the world went mad a while ago. Little girls aren’t allowed to dress as moana now because it’s “problematic”. Pathetic.

I think it is offensive but nothing to lose sleep over. Just silly white men playing games.

Here is an interesting article on 'blacking up' and I think it gets it about right.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/m ... blackface/

"silly white men"!?

f*cking hypocrite!

Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:52 am

Politically correct my arse. Don't let any English B****** call me Taff again or I will report them to the race relations board. I suppose the Jocks and the Paddy's feel the same. Tee Hee :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:03 am

norms76 wrote:Don’t see anything wrong with it personally. :lol:

3280532C-9EE8-40D4-A3CE-D3868BDF3A28.jpeg

Come on mate. Not all black guys got big dicks. Just ask Africanbluebird!

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:31 am

It’s ridiculous isn’t it! I bet you that if he dressed as a bin laden character then you probably wouldn’t hear anything about it, what does my head in is because people are white and black it’s a no go area! But it’s ok to dress up as a stereo typical Chinese person, Arab, etc etc it’s hypocritical I for one don’t see who he’s hurting if anything he’s promoting a predominantly Afro American sport! I wouldn’t have a problem if any of my Asian or Afro mates dressed up as Dai Becks for instance

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:41 am

nubbsy wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:
welshrarebit wrote:

Sadly the world went mad a while ago. Little girls aren’t allowed to dress as moana now because it’s “problematic”. Pathetic.

I think it is offensive but nothing to lose sleep over. Just silly white men playing games.

Here is an interesting article on 'blacking up' and I think it gets it about right.

"silly white men"!?

f*cking hypocrite!

exactly, most racist thing in this post ffs :lol:

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:18 am

paulh_85 wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:
welshrarebit wrote:

"silly white men"!?

f*cking hypocrite!

exactly, most racist thing in this post ffs :lol:

I lost all respect for his argument after that to be honest.

Can you imagine his reaction if someone had said he was "just a silly black man"... There would be uproar!

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:50 am

Blue_Barber wrote:It’s ridiculous isn’t it! I bet you that if he dressed as a bin laden character then you probably wouldn’t hear anything about it, what does my head in is because people are white and black it’s a no go area! But it’s ok to dress up as a stereo typical Chinese person, Arab, etc etc it’s hypocritical I for one don’t see who he’s hurting if anything he’s promoting a predominantly Afro American sport! I wouldn’t have a problem if any of my Asian or Afro mates dressed up as Dai Becks for instance

I definitely isn't viewed as okay to dress up as a Chinese or Asian person.