“ Footballer apologises after painting himself black “

Postby worcester_ccfc » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:17 am

Atletico Madrid and France forward Antoine Griezmann has apologised

DEB4FEC2-E044-42F3-ACFF-82381B66721D.jpeg
DEB4FEC2-E044-42F3-ACFF-82381B66721D.jpeg (30.89 KiB) Viewed 3972 times

BBC

Monday 18th December 2017

Atletico Madrid and France forward Antoine Griezmann has apologised after initially telling his social media followers to "calm down" in response to outrage he sparked by painting himself black as part of a fancy-dress outfit.

Griezmann tweeted a photo of himself dressed as a black basketball player.

He later deleted the post, along with a second message that read: "Calm down everyone. I'm a fan of the Harlem Globetrotters and this is a tribute."

A third message contained his apology.

It read: "I recognise that it was insensitive on my part. If I have offended some people I apologise."
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: “ Footballer apologises after painting himself black “

Postby NIBluebird » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:56 am

What did he do wrong ?
NIBluebird

Postby barry boy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:56 am

There is racism and racism but I cant see the problem with this. Did any black person complain ?

it was fancy dress...if he went as a harlem globe trotter, what other colour was he supposed to be ?

Smurfs, the Hulk, and anyone portraying a white person banned next.
Are black people only allowed to go to fancy dress as black people ?

I obviously don't get racism.
barry boy

Postby salopiancity » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:02 am

F—————g worlds gone mad. :cry:
salopiancity

Postby dogfound » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am

barry boy wrote:There is racism and racism but I cant see the problem with this. Did any black person complain ?

it was fancy dress...if he went as a harlem globe trotter, what other colour was he supposed to be ?

Smurfs, the Hulk, and anyone portraying a white person banned next.
Are black people only allowed to go to fancy dress as black people ?

I obviously don't get racism.

you probably get racism fine.
its just there are people out there that look for offence everywhere.
dogfound

Postby welshrarebit » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:11 am

salopiancity wrote:F—————g worlds gone mad. :cry:

Sadly the world went mad a while ago. Little girls aren’t allowed to dress as moana now because it’s “problematic”. Pathetic.
welshrarebit

Postby AfricanBluebird » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:04 pm

welshrarebit wrote:

Sadly the world went mad a while ago. Little girls aren’t allowed to dress as moana now because it’s “problematic”. Pathetic.

I think it is offensive but nothing to lose sleep over. Just silly white men playing games.

Here is an interesting article on 'blacking up' and I think it gets it about right.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/m ... blackface/
AfricanBluebird

Postby paulh_85 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:06 pm

AfricanBluebird wrote:
welshrarebit wrote:

I think it is offensive but nothing to lose sleep over. Just silly white men playing games.

Here is an interesting article on 'blacking up' and I think it gets it about right.

im offended by your "silly white men" comment :banghead:
paulh_85

Postby AfricanBluebird » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:09 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:
welshrarebit wrote:

im offended by your "silly white men" comment :banghead:

I asked the three black people I share a house with what they thought and they were passively offended with an overriding question of 'why?' would someone do that.
AfricanBluebird

Postby tylorstown18891 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:09 pm

AfricanBluebird wrote:
welshrarebit wrote:

sit down ffs you're comments more racist than that guy
tylorstown18891

Postby AfricanBluebird » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:12 pm

tylorstown18891 wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:
welshrarebit wrote:

Black people find it offensive as do others.

LOL
AfricanBluebird

Postby AfricanBluebird » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:14 pm

tylorstown18891 wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:
welshrarebit wrote:

He looks ridiculous, not even like a black guy. So yeah it is offensive.
AfricanBluebird

Postby tylorstown18891 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:17 pm

AfricanBluebird wrote:
tylorstown18891 wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:
welshrarebit wrote:

it's fancy dress mate :lol: don't turn up for any or Halloween for that matter :lol: everything's racist these days
tylorstown18891

Postby BournvilleBlue » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Of course it's offensive. Why would he not realise this or why did someone not tell him. :banghead:
BournvilleBlue

Postby AfricanBluebird » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:36 pm

tylorstown18891 wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:
tylorstown18891 wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:
welshrarebit wrote:

it's fancy dress mate :lol: don't turn up for any or Halloween for that matter :lol: everything's racist these days

Just go and ask some black people what they think. Just because you don't think they should be offended doesn't mean you're right.
AfricanBluebird

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:05 pm

There is far worse shite going on in this world than for that to be even newsworthy! :banghead:

AfricanBluebird wrote:
tylorstown18891 wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:
tylorstown18891 wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:
welshrarebit wrote:

Just go and ask some black people what they think. Just because you don't think they should be offended doesn't mean you're right.
1980s Bluebird

Postby AfricanBluebird » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:08 pm

1980s Bluebird wrote:There is far worse shite going on in this world than for that to be even newsworthy! :banghead:

AfricanBluebird wrote:
tylorstown18891 wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:
tylorstown18891 wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:
welshrarebit wrote:

Good article about it.

https://www.vox.com/2014/10/29/7089591/ ... -offensive
AfricanBluebird

Postby paulh_85 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:13 pm

im offended by the film white chicks

people need to chill the f**k out really. stuff that happened 100 years ago where racism was an integrated part of every day life has nothing to do with some guy going to a fancy dress party
paulh_85

Postby AfricanBluebird » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:15 pm

paulh_85 wrote:im offended by the film white chicks

people need to chill the f**k out really. stuff that happened 100 years ago where racism was an integrated part of every day life has nothing to do with some guy going to a fancy dress party

100 years ago? non.

Read the article I posted which challenges your 'chill the f**k out' and 'had nothing to do with a fancy dress party' attitude.
Last edited by AfricanBluebird on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AfricanBluebird

Postby paulh_85 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:16 pm

AfricanBluebird wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:im offended by the film white chicks

100 years ago?

i mean the link clearly states it can be traced back to the 19th century, so more than 100 years ago my apologies
paulh_85

Postby ae15 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:29 pm

Whether it is offensive or not, he must have known that it is now clearly a social no no and as a person of his stature it was clearly incredibly callous to do so.
ae15

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:36 pm

I think Callous is a bit to strong a word for what he did, probably thought he was causing no harm, he has apologized so move on, if people cannot accept he has apologised then they really do need to go and live in a box or something to protect their snowflake insecurity.

ae15 wrote:Whether it is offensive or not, he must have known that it is now clearly a social no no and as a person of his stature it was clearly incredibly callous to do so.
1980s Bluebird

Postby ae15 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:41 pm

1980s Bluebird wrote:I think Callous is a bit to strong a word for what he did, probably thought he was causing no harm, he has apologized so move on, if people cannot accept he has apologised then they really do need to go and live in a box or something to protect their snowflake insecurity.

ae15 wrote:Whether it is offensive or not, he must have known that it is now clearly a social no no and as a person of his stature it was clearly incredibly callous to do so.

He did apologise but only because someone forced him to, he started arguing with people about whether it was offensive or not after the original post.
ae15

Postby paulh_85 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:43 pm

ae15 wrote:
1980s Bluebird wrote:I think Callous is a bit to strong a word for what he did, probably thought he was causing no harm, he has apologized so move on, if people cannot accept he has apologised then they really do need to go and live in a box or something to protect their snowflake insecurity.

He did apologise but only because someone forced him to, he started arguing with people about whether it was offensive or not after the original post.

yes because he clearly didnt mean to offend by doing it
paulh_85

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:45 pm

But he has apologised, I have yet to receive an apology of that trout Diane Abbott for saying I was racist for voting for Brexit (even though I didnt because I wasnt in the UK) but I would have but that is not all over the news.

When Diane Abbott apologises to the millions of voters who voted then I will take a look at Griezmanns actions a bit closer :thumbup:
1980s Bluebird

Postby AfricanBluebird » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:59 pm

1980s Bluebird wrote:But he has apologised, I have yet to receive an apology of that trout Diane Abbott for saying I was racist for voting for Brexit (even though I didnt because I wasnt in the UK) but I would have but that is not all over the news.

When Diane Abbott apologises to the millions of voters who voted then I will take a look at Griezmanns actions a bit closer :thumbup:

Even as a liberally minded person I find Diane Abbot offensive and disgusting.

Yeah he apologised and people should move on, but I wonder how on earth he thought it was good idea in the first place.
AfricanBluebird

Postby Sven » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:02 pm

Explain to me why it's socially unacceptable and/or callous (misguided might have been a better word)? :?

All I see is a guy in fancy dress going out for an evening that is clearly not intended to mock or incite hatred, so by the reasoning of some above, should we now ban all fancy dress parties or stop kids from dressing up or ban actors from participating in theatre plays? :?

The people who (rightly in many cases) want to drive pure 'racism' out of this country and beyond really need to pick their battles more carefully in order to properly educate minds and ultimately rid us of the real racism that occurs from within certain sections of all our communities ;) :(
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Jock » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:03 pm

AfricanBluebird wrote:
welshrarebit wrote:

I think it’s funny, which is the point of fancy dress, to provoke laughter and enjoyment. I absolutely hate people, irrespective of skin colour, who constantly look to take offence, either for themselves or on other people’s behalf.
Jock

Postby sid61284 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:03 pm

What if I wanted to dress up as a coal miner and blacked my face up. That would be OK as miners get really dirty. Ye?

If I said I was dressed as Winston the black guy who worked in the mine, all of a sudden it's unacceptable.

The worlds gone mad
sid61284

Postby Jock » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:05 pm

Sven wrote:

Explain to me why it's socially unacceptable and/or callous (misguided might have been a better word)? :?

All I see is a guy in fancy dress going out for an evening that is clearly not intended to mock or incite hatred, so by the reasoning of some above, should we now ban all fancy dress parties or stop kids from dressing up or ban actors from participating in theatre plays? :?

The people who (rightly in many cases) want to drive pure 'racism' out of this country and beyond really need to pick their battles more carefully in order to properly educate minds and ultimately rid us of the real racism that occurs from within certain sections of all our communities ;) :(

Great post
This faux horror the snowflakes wallow in does nothing to reduce real racism, quite the reverse in fact.
Jock

Next

Return to General Chat