Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Testing times ahead...

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:17 pm

We've had an amazing first half of the season and the team has certainly exceeded my expectations so far. We've done amazingly well considering the key players we've lost through injury reducing a squad that was already a little bit short of spark. We've also been helped by a run of fixtures against 'beatable' sides when we have been at our weakest. Not forgetting that in past seasons we have habitually lost against 'bottom quarter sides on a regular basis even when we have been doing generally well.

So what has been the difference this year
1. NW has put together a squad where all of the players can come in and do a job
2. We have seen a lot of performances where players have pulled something extra out of the bag and kept us in the race.
3. NW and his team has instilled a belief in the team that they can and will win
4. NW and his team has improved a lot of the players in the squad and has ensured that wayward and bad boy players knuckle down and produce the goods.

So why Testing times ahead...
We will need a full squad fit and available in order to continue our form as of 20th January. We have two really telling sequences of games coming up as below -

Jan 20 Sheff Weds away (Tough)
Jan 27 Bolton Home
Feb 3 Leeds Away (Tough)
Feb 10 Millwall away (Tough)
Feb 17 Middlesboro Home (Tricky)
Feb 20 Ipswich away (Tough)
Feb 24 Bristol City Home (Tough)
Mar 3 Brentford away (Tricky)

Then between Mar 17th and April 10th, four of our 5 games are -
Mar 17 Derby away (Tough)
Apr 2 Sheff Utd away (Tough)
Apr 7 Wolves Home (Tough)
Apr 10 Villa away (Tough)

Obviously we need to beat these teams to go up but there is a lot of potential to lose or even draw games.

I believe we can do it but we have to have our full squad fit (including Tomlin), we need to add a bit more quality in January so that we can field a strong side and have a strong bench with game changers and game closers available when we need them.

We don't need a lot especially if everyone is fit but ideally we need a midfield general who has a strong all round game plus another striker and potentially another full back who can attack and defend. That may be big bucks to buy but perhaps loan signings can fill those gaps.

If I could choose anyone I'd go for -

Up front - Ben Woodburn
In Midfield - Danny Ings (unlikely) or Billy Bodin from Bristol Rovers or Josh Vela from Bolton or Ben Marshall from Wolves who looks useful
In Defence - Cunningham from Preston as full back

At a push we could do it with no extra players if we can get all of our players back in contention, who else could we go for and have a chance of getting? :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Re: Testing times ahead...

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:27 pm

100% tough games to come, but I've given up looking at games being more tough than others, this league is ridiculous, I know it's a cliche but the next game is always the hardest.

As for squad the injuries over the last 2 months have shown we have good depth, we came gamble that all players come back and stay fit without any other major injuries, or invest.

A player that has always stood out me and out of contact in the summer is Ryan Fredericks @ Fulham, top
Top attacking righ back would be perfect for us! Pretty sure Fulham will look to cash in on him in Jan but prem clubs prob looking.

Billy bodin for sure, won't sign a contract at rovers and they have said they will sell, will be a cheap option with potential to step up.

Another couplewith potential, A'mari Bell (left back) and Devante Cole (striker son of Andy)

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:39 pm

All games are tough on a positive, we play are top of the table competition, Wolves and Bristol City at Home and have top players coming back from injury, and Twn will back Warnock in January !!!

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:54 pm

langstoneBlue wrote:100% tough games to come, but I've given up looking at games being more tough than others, this league is ridiculous, I know it's a cliche but the next game is always the hardest.

As for squad the injuries over the last 2 months have shown we have good depth, we came gamble that all players come back and stay fit without any other major injuries, or invest.

A player that has always stood out me and out of contact in the summer is Ryan Fredericks @ Fulham, top
Top attacking righ back would be perfect for us! Pretty sure Fulham will look to cash in on him in Jan but prem clubs prob looking.

Billy bodin for sure, won't sign a contract at rovers and they have said they will sell, will be a cheap option with potential to step up.

Another couplewith potential, A'mari Bell (left back) and Devante Cole (striker son of Andy)

Some good shouts there

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Bluebina wrote:All games are tough on a positive, we play are top of the table competition, Wolves and Bristol City at Home and have top players coming back from injury, and Twn will back Warnock in January !!!

Yes, the two closest rivals at home is a bonus, and if NW gets a bit of cash there are plenty of players out there that could improve us