When will Cardiff finally attract the crowds they deserve?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:51 am

Cardiff City FC

When will Cardiff City finally attract the crowds they deserve?

Riding high in the table, playing exciting attacking football under Neil Warnock... so why isn't Cardiff City Stadium packed every week?

By Scott Johnson

Thursday 14th December 2017

It was recently revealed that over the past 15 seasons, no team has accrued as many points as Cardiff City at this stage of the season without winning automatic promotion.

That is quite the statistic. Cardiff have built up an imposing lead over the chasing pack, they now just need to maintain it.

Cardiff supporters know the second tier inside out, spending every season there since 2003, bar one in the Premier League. They know what a promotion contender looks like and know what it takes to win the league, having witnessed Malky Mackay’s 2012/13 vintage win it from the front.

This season, Cardiff look the real deal. Strong, powerful, organised and hungry, they can beat you in any number of ways.

They also have strength in depth that has allowed them to absorb the impact of losing key players without it affecting results or performances. Neil Warnock is adored on the terraces and the club is finally pointing in the right direction.

The only thing that has not yet followed suit are Cardiff’s attendances.

What will it take for there to be a spike? It’s hard to tell.

It’s difficult to compare this season with the promotion campaign because of the remarkable circumstances that existed at the time. The club had recently been re-branded, which was more likely to harm attendances than boost them, but the sweetener was around £12m spent on transfers.

Spending and success remain the single most reliable factors in boosting attendances — as Wolves can attest this season. Cardiff’s first game in red saw a crowd of 21,127 for a Friday night game that was also televised.

When they went on to win their first 10 games, attendances never dipped below 20,000, although there was some variance from week to week.

When they finally lost, at home to Peterborough in mid-December, they did so from atop the championship and in front of 26,073, by far their biggest crowd of the season.

From then on, attendances only dropped below 22,000 on one occasion as they cantered towards the title. Their last three games were played in front of near capacity crowds, in the days when the ground held 26,828 prior to the construction of an extra tier.

This season, Cardiff immediately attracted a bumper crowd, as their first home game coincided with the visit of the league’s biggest draw; Aston Villa. A whopping 23,899 witnessed a thumping 3-0 win, yet attendances still returned to just below the 20,000 mark for the subsequent fixtures against QPR and both Sheffield clubs.

The Villa crowd was bettered for a televised midweek clash against unofficial enemies Leeds, as a ticket offer resulted in the upper tier opening to welcome 27,160 for another impressive victory.

Since then, crowds have pretty much reverted to the norm. So 18,496 for a 0-0 draw with Millwall , dipped to 15,951 for a midweek win over Ipswich a few days later, before gradually rising for subsequent victories against Brentford (16,335) and Norwich (17,033).

Considering Cardiff are firmly established in the top two and unbeaten at home, should they expect better crowds?

It is a debate that is currently doing the rounds and is clearly something that needles Warnock.

He has had very little to grumble about since arriving, but Warnock, working minor miracles at the club admitted in the aftermath of the Millwall and Ipswich games that he was: "disappointed in the crowds for the two games."

Last season, Warnock also admitted that he "struggled to get out of bed" for their FA Cup third-round defeat by Fulham, which was televised, played at 11.30am and watched by only 5,199. It’s that time of year again and chances are that the forthcoming visit of Mansfield will also be a box office dud.

Warnock is likely to ring the changes, as he did for the Fulham game, but has admitted that he would play a full strength if Cardiff were to attract a crowd north of 20,000. Unfortunately, that rarely happens these days — in any competition.

Whether or not that is set to change probably depends on results. Eventually, they are bound to creep up, but as the Welsh national side has demonstrated, sometimes it happens without warning.

In September 2013, Wales attracted just 10,923 for a World Cup qualifier with Serbia. The fact that they lost 3-0 and had slipped to the bottom of their qualifying group probably didn’t help put bums on seats for the following games; a 1-0 win over Macedonia and a 1-1 friendly draw with Finland.

It was still a surprise that the likes of Gareth Bale, Aaron Ramsey and Joe Allen were not proving more of a draw though. Fast forward a year and a smart season ticket initiative coupled with an away win in their first Euro 2016 qualifier in Andorra saw their attendance shoot up to 30,741 for the home game against Bosnia.

Since then, Wales have consistently attracted full houses as they captured the nation’s imagination by finally qualifying for a major tournament. It probably won’t last, as football fans are nothing if not fickle, but it’s nice while it does.

Made to work very hard for a precious point at Reading on Monday, Cardiff have a four point lead over third-placed Bristol City ahead of another televised game against Hull on Saturday.

It seems likely that the game will be played before a crowd of less than 20,000 once again, although the Boxing Day clash with Bolton that follows is sure to see a huge, festive turnout.

Whether Cardiff can sustain big crowds in 2018 remains to be seen. This team certainly deserves a healthy following and it may make all the difference in their quest for promotion.
Attachments
CDF_080117_CF_Cardiff_v_Fulham_18JPG.jpg
CDF_080117_CF_Cardiff_v_Fulham_18JPG.jpg (53.09 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
Reading-v-Cardiff-City-Sky-Bet-Championship.jpg
Reading-v-Cardiff-City-Sky-Bet-Championship.jpg (43.03 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
Cardiff-City-v-Norwich-City-Sky-Bet-Championship-Cardiff-City-Stadium.jpg
Cardiff-City-v-Norwich-City-Sky-Bet-Championship-Cardiff-City-Stadium.jpg (37.2 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: When will Cardiff finally attract the crowds they deserv

Postby stephendavid » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:15 pm

Its a fair question annis when will they get the crowds they deserve....
stephendavid

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:26 pm

stephendavid wrote:Its a fair question annis when will they get the crowds they deserve....

Stephen, Our club, Our Manager Neil Warnock, the Head of our Supporters Club have all begged for our fans to return and after nearly 5months of pure success they have still not turned up even at virtually give away prices. :shock: :shock: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Bluebird-in-Jackland » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:28 pm

That article just goes to show that the rebrand hasn’t really affected attendances. If anything it give us the best attendances we’ve ever had in the championship. I’m not saying I was in favour of it, but it certainly didn’t affect our attendances no matter what many would make you believe in here. The relegation is what give us the bad attendances.
I think it’s just the simple fact of we are nowhere near as big a club as some people think. We all wish we were as big as we think but we’re simply not. Sustained success is the only way to get bigger attendances. Just look at the jacks now they are struggling.
Bluebird-in-Jackland

Postby stephendavid » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:29 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
stephendavid wrote:Its a fair question annis when will they get the crowds they deserve....

Stephen, Our club, Our Manager Neil Warnock, the Head of our Supporters Club have all begged for our fans to return and after nearly 5months of pure success they have still not turned up even at virtually give away prices. :shock: :shock: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Fair point annis,cant do no more than they all have to be honest.No doubt 'they' will all return if we were to reach the premier league lol
stephendavid

Postby Pencoed » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:10 pm

Maybe we haven't got that many fans I know plenty of people who had Wembley/ Premier league tickets for the occasion, to watch top flight football, some who went to watch the opposition. Also a lot of business bought Premier league season tickets to entertain clients.
Pencoed

Postby Gaynor Straight » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:33 pm

It's difficult to work out what else the club can do tbh.

As a point of order though we're playing Fulham and not Bolton on Boxing Day.
Gaynor Straight

Postby Bananas » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:03 pm

Simples.January onwards. :ayatollah:
Bananas

Postby dogfound » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:06 pm

Gaynor Straight wrote:It's difficult to work out what else the club can do tbh.

As a point of order though we're playing Fulham and not Bolton on Boxing Day.

really grinds my gears when these wales online /echo lot get so many things wrong that are easily checked..

yes its Fulham..how do you get it wrong twice ?
looks likely the Hull game will atract less than 20k.?.a daily glance on here would put a doubt in his mind ?..or maybe the fact tickets are half price..?.follow up with a quick call to the club and hey presto you can now at least seem semi interested in football.
dogfound

Postby Juventus Blue » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:07 pm

We are playing Fulham on Boxing Day not Bolton :thumbup:
CARDIFF CITY ARE BACK IN BLUE!
WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUE, WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUUUUEE!
CHAMPIONSHIP CHAMPIONS 2012/13
CHAMPIONSHIP RUNNERS UP 2017/18
Juventus Blue

Postby epping blue » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:20 pm

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:That article just goes to show that the rebrand hasn’t really affected attendances. If anything it give us the best attendances we’ve ever had in the championship. I’m not saying I was in favour of it, but it certainly didn’t affect our attendances no matter what many would make you believe in here. The relegation is what give us the bad attendances.
I think it’s just the simple fact of we are nowhere near as big a club as some people think. We all wish we were as big as we think but we’re simply not. Sustained success is the only way to get bigger attendances. Just look at the jacks now they are struggling.

I don't think the timings make that a fair comparison. The rebrand followed the most successful period of sustained success that we'd experienced in living memory. Cup finals, play offs and a successful new stadium.

I don't pretend to know what's going on, I'm astonished that there's so little improvement. In the last 40 years or so that I've been going it hasn't taken much of a pick up in form for there to be a relative improvement in attendance. Now there's been a pick up in attendance but nothing like I'd have expected given our achievement this year.

Its clearly that we haven't fallen out of love with football. 18 months ago it gripped the nation. People with less than £ 50 in the bank, with a few hours notice were jumping in cars with and travelling hours across France to watch a match on a screen they couldn't get within 200 yards of. Now we cant them to buy in to Neil Warnock's revolution. A promotion battle against the odds should have queuing round the block.

Back to the rebrand. I've always thought it had and would have little effect on the attendances. The numbers who have actually stopped may be as low as a 1,000 although I doubt anyone can put a very accurate figure on it. What ever number it was they were generally consistent attendees. So if it were a thousand then it pretty remains a 1,000 and that's therefor off the average.

The bigger issue is I think that those that were left pretty much stopped eulogising about the club, there almost out of a sense of duty. Not helped by a downturn in fortunes, some turgid football and the general acceptance that the club lacked any ambition. We stopped talking about it in work or school and stopped persuading mates that a Saturday afternoon down the Cardiff City Stadium was well worth the time and money. To be honest most of the time it wasn't. We've added very little new support in the last 4 years. People relocate, people die and lives change. That of course always happens but in the normal course of time you would expect to replace those that you lose. Living with the success of Swansea hasn't helped either. Its easier to ignore if not living and breathing Cardiff City.

Look at the demographics of the current support. The kids have found something else to do, they no longer bring their dads and the family stand is pretty much empty game after game. Same for the grandstand where sadly a lot will have got the ultimate excuse for no longer attending.

Its up to those still going to get the fan base up. They didn't need the internet in the 50's and we don't need it now.
epping blue

Postby skiprat » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:02 pm

They have to establish themselves in the premier league and win a major trophy.something they haven't done for 90 years.then I believe they would get a solid 26/27 average ala stoke/wba .the championship and lower leagues is done and dusted as far as Cardiff is concerned the public are not buying into it even at knocdown prices.
skiprat

Postby Danny Says » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:42 pm

City will never get the crowds they would like to get. It is just one of those things. Yes for one off big games or holiday fixtures they will but consistently no.

To me its a mix of things. One is generational - one layer drops off the perch so to speak. Others are groups of people - one gets apathetic or just completely turned off by the OGS/Slade/Trollope debacles, one gets into other things to do on Saturday's, one is allured by the top 6 in the PL, one cherry picks games due to cost or not being totally football mad.

I don't agree too many gave up completely and haven't been back since Tan went red. That's like saying the critics who said they'd never go back after Toshack was sold never did- of course some didn't but the vast majority did.

PS Incidentally I see the Sunderland game in January is at 12.30.

It is not on the sky website as being televised. Forest v Villa is their game that day.

Any reason for this?
Danny Says

Postby wez1927 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:13 pm

We got to the promise land of the premiership and some people found that it was shit, for a number of reason and some people can't be bothered ,nothing to do with the rebrand as we had the biggest attendances when we played in red,I would prefer 18k of hard core real fans than the fair weather supporters that we have 1000s of
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby Mr Potato » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:15 pm

I don't think it's a coincidence that since football clubs changed the status of people from fan to customer that it all become a bit tedious, thee is just no atmosphere at games anymore and to be honest it's all a bit boring, elitist, more about revenue and sales forecasts than atmosphere and banter.

I don't like modern football
Mr Potato

Postby stephendavid » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:40 pm

Mr Potato wrote:I don't think it's a coincidence that since football clubs changed the status of people from fan to customer that it all become a bit tedious, thee is just no atmosphere at games anymore and to be honest it's all a bit boring, elitist, more about revenue and sales forecasts than atmosphere and banter.

I tend to agree modern football does have no atmosphere mr potato head i think your spot on
stephendavid

Postby dogfound » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:53 pm

skiprat wrote:They have to establish themselves in the premier league and win a major trophy.something they haven't done for 90 years.then I believe they would get a solid 26/27 average ala stoke/wba .the championship and lower leagues is done and dusted as far as Cardiff is concerned the public are not buying into it even at knocdown prices.

your on the mark here..its no accident that in that list Annis put up regarding clubs success our FA cup win put us at 33rd most successful ...and our average all time crowds are also 33rd best....and the top 9 successful clubs on that list also happen to be the 9 best supported.
the crowds we deserve..?.
since i started watching Cardiff we have been relegated to the 4th tier 4 times..which obviously has the opposite effect to crowds to that success brings . NO other club that has bigger averages has suffered that fate...
so maybe we are getting what we deserve and need a prolonged period in the premier league to witness any significant growth.
dogfound

Postby stephendavid » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:12 pm

dogfound wrote:
skiprat wrote:They have to establish themselves in the premier league and win a major trophy.something they haven't done for 90 years.then I believe they would get a solid 26/27 average ala stoke/wba .the championship and lower leagues is done and dusted as far as Cardiff is concerned the public are not buying into it even at knocdown prices.

your on the mark here..its no accident that in that list Annis put up regarding clubs success our FA cup win put us at 33rd most successful ...and our average all time crowds are also 33rd best....and the top 9 successful clubs on that list also happen to be the 9 best supported.
since i started watching Cardiff we have been relegated to the 4th tier 4 times..which obviously has the opposite effect to crowds to that success brings . NO other club that has bigger averages has suffered that fate...
so maybe we are getting what we deserve and need a prolonged period in the premier league to witness any significant growth.

Zzzzzzzz
stephendavid

Postby wez1927 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:16 pm

stephendavid wrote:
Mr Potato wrote:I don't think it's a coincidence that since football clubs changed the status of people from fan to customer that it all become a bit tedious, thee is just no atmosphere at games anymore and to be honest it's all a bit boring, elitist, more about revenue and sales forecasts than atmosphere and banter.

I tend to agree modern football does have no atmosphere mr potato head i think your spot on

You and I know a lot of people who just don't like the new stadium also grangetown has gone shit all the pubs have gone ,I hate the Cornwall
wez1927

Postby dogfound » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:17 pm

stephendavid wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Zzzzzzzz

:thumbup: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=whi ... &FORM=VIRE
dogfound

Postby stephendavid » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:22 pm

wez1927 wrote:
stephendavid wrote:

You and I know a lot of people who just don't like the new stadium also grangetown has gone shit all the pubs have gone ,I hate the Cornwall

Its the only place left to go down grangetown though wez lol,i was up the cross with glen and hosky sunday much better up there fella i gotta say.Sign of the times with the support mate take Saturday a load of the boys are meeting offside in town for a drink due to banning restrictions....the support is just not there no more
stephendavid

Postby stephendavid » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:25 pm

dogfound wrote:
stephendavid wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Zzzzzzzz

Strange taste in music there buddy think you need to get out a little bit more lad
stephendavid

Postby wez1927 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:31 pm

stephendavid wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
stephendavid wrote:

Its the only place left to go down grangetown though wez lol,i was up the cross with glen and hosky sunday much better up there fella i gotta say.Sign of the times with the support mate take Saturday a load of the boys are meeting offside in town for a drink due to banning restrictions....the support is just not there no more

I go to the cross if I'm out drinking it's ok in there ,m9st 9f the boys I used to go with have lost interest or moved away ,we need the youngsters to come through but most are too busy playing on there xboxes
wez1927

Postby dogfound » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:34 pm

stephendavid wrote:
dogfound wrote:
stephendavid wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Zzzzzzzz

Strange taste in music there buddy think you need to get out a little bit more lad

well when i do go out and some mates do things maybe they shouldnt be doing ..there will be zero chance any of them would end up in court because of me being a silly billy...zero chance..
dogfound

Postby stephendavid » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:38 pm

dogfound wrote:
stephendavid wrote:
dogfound wrote:
stephendavid wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Zzzzzzzz

well when i do go out and some mates do things maybe they shouldnt be doing ..there will be zero chance any of them would end up in court because of me being a silly billy...zero chance..

Find better behaved mates id say mucca
stephendavid

Postby skiprat » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:39 pm

"the support ain't there anymore lol" .2010 to present our crowds are at their highest since the 1960s."modern football" is something people actually go and watch rewind to the 80s early 90s the game was on its knees.
skiprat

Postby stephendavid » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:40 pm

wez1927 wrote:
stephendavid wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
stephendavid wrote:

I go to the cross if I'm out drinking it's ok in there ,m9st 9f the boys I used to go with have lost interest or moved away ,we need the youngsters to come through but most are too busy playing on there xboxes

Very true wez,yeh it was ok in there mate nice pint an company
stephendavid

Postby moonboots » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:47 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

With all due respect the price for most games is NOT "virtually give away" and season ticket prices are still quite expensive for your average working person. Yes, with the success we've enjoyed so far I did think that our crowds would be a few thousand more each game. However, I still think that the Club could do a lot more to market season tickets. Where are the adverts in newspapers or online for season tickets and half season tickets? Where are the posters around Cardiff and the Valleys asking for fans to come and watch the team? Where are the co-ordinated and strategic marketing campaigns aimed at attracting more female supporters, more students or more people from ethnic minorities? All of these groups are under represented. Why has the Club not linked the sale of half season tickets to a guarantee of a season ticket in the Premier League should we be lucky enough to get there? There is a lot more that the Club could do. :bluescarf:
moonboots

Postby wez1927 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:49 pm

moonboots wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

With all due respect the price for most games is NOT "virtually give away" and season ticket prices are still quite expensive for your average working person. Yes, with the success we've enjoyed so far I did think that our crowds would be a few thousand more each game. However, I still think that the Club could do a lot more to market season tickets. Where are the adverts in newspapers or online for season tickets and half season tickets? Where are the posters around Cardiff and the Valleys asking for fans to come and watch the team? Where are the co-ordinated and strategic marketing campaigns aimed at attracting more female supporters, more students or more people from ethnic minorities? All of these groups are under represented. Why has the Club not linked the sale of half season tickets to a guarantee of a season ticket in the Premier League should we be lucky enough to get there? There is a lot more that the Club could do. :bluescarf:

Agree the marketing is rubbish
wez1927

Postby stephendavid » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:50 pm

skiprat wrote:"the support ain't there anymore lol" .2010 to present our crowds are at their highest since the 1960s."modern football" is something people actually go and watch rewind to the 80s early 90s the game was on its knees.

A capital city football club,with a population of 341,000,2nd in the division,playing great football an we struggle to get 18k through the gates.......
stephendavid

Next

Return to General Chat