Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Right back '

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:31 pm

I have posted about this before when it was jazz and peltier competing, my view was both will be needed and different games will suite them. You seen last night how valuable pelts will be, he's not glamorous but he's a proper right back is streetwise and knows how to handle even the best of wingers.

Since the last debate manga has played in this position, he will do a job anywhere on the pitch because he is a decent footballer and imagine will do well in 70% of the games at right back but when he comes up against a top winger like last night he's going to struggle.

Patterson will be great next season with a pre season under his belt, let's forget the header and poor match as that can happen what was concerning and it's been mentioned previously by NW was his ability to deal with players running at him. He was like the qe2 turning at times, not great if your a right back.

For me it's pelts all day long with jazz pushing him on his return.

Opinions?

:thumbup:

Re: Right back

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:22 am

Stringfellow wrote:I have posted about this before when it was jazz and peltier competing, my view was both will be needed and different games will suite them. You seen last night how valuable pelts will be, he's not glamorous but he's a proper right back is streetwise and knows how to handle even the best of wingers.

Since the last debate manga has played in this position, he will do a job anywhere on the pitch because he is a decent footballer and imagine will do well in 70% of the games at right back but when he comes up against a top winger like last night he's going to struggle.

Patterson will be great next season with a pre season under his belt, let's forget the header and poor match as that can happen what was concerning and it's been mentioned previously by NW was his ability to deal with players running at him. He was like the qe2 turning at times, not great if your a right back.

For me it's pelts all day long with jazz pushing him on his return.

Opinions?

:thumbup:

Spot on peter,Peltier this year then patterson for me next year fella

Re: Right back

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:26 am

Pelts is a strong right back ,manga is not

Re: ' Right back '

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:32 pm

Big fan of Manga - however RB he certainly is not and got cut to shreds at Reading.

Would have to be Pelts for me if he is fit.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:43 pm

Can't argue with this. I've said this before Peltier is a solid right back, not so great at going forward but best defensive option we've got in that position. It's hard to know where to fit manga in if bambas not sitting in midfield.

I think for now Patterson will be better coming off the bench if we need something out wide. At least until he's fully match fit and next season have a run at that full back spot.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:53 pm

RYANBLUE wrote:Big fan of Manga - however RB he certainly is not and got cut to shreds at Reading.

Would have to be Pelts for me if he is fit.

Manga is a great centre back

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:04 pm

I like Pelts and he's a give it a 100% player but he is back up for me! Even with Reading dropping back you could see how limited Pelts is going forward. For a team chasing promotion/prem team fullbacks have to offer more than he does unfortunately. Would like to see what CP can do when fully fit. Jazz is just as good as Pelts as a defender but also offers speed and crosses further forward.

Saying all this he is a brilliant squad player and even on the bench to shut a game down!!

Manga is not a right back!!!

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:48 pm

Nickoblue23 wrote:I like Pelts and he's a give it a 100% player but he is back up for me! Even with Reading dropping back you could see how limited Pelts is going forward. For a team chasing promotion/prem team fullbacks have to offer more than he does unfortunately. Would like to see what CP can do when fully fit. Jazz is just as good as Pelts as a defender but also offers speed and crosses further forward.

Saying all this he is a brilliant squad player and even on the bench to shut a game down!!

Agree with this. I’d like Jazz has the number one RB this year with Patterson eventually taking over. Pelts is a very capable RB but the modern day fullback needs to be as effective going forward as well as defending. I feel Jazz when fully fit is the number one choice this season anyway.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:08 pm

Nickoblue23 wrote:I like Pelts and he's a give it a 100% player but he is back up for me! Even with Reading dropping back you could see how limited Pelts is going forward. For a team chasing promotion/prem team fullbacks have to offer more than he does unfortunately. Would like to see what CP can do when fully fit. Jazz is just as good as Pelts as a defender but also offers speed and crosses further forward.

Completely disagree.

When you're as good as Peltier is defensively then who cares about attacking. Leave the defenders to defend and attackers like Mendez-Laing/Hoilett etc to attack down the wing.

Luckily I think Warnock seems to understand this too.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:14 pm

scott_w_ccfc wrote:

Completely disagree.

When you're as good as Peltier is defensively then who cares about attacking. Leave the defenders to defend and attackers like Mendez-Laing/Hoilett etc to attack down the wing.

Luckily I think Warnock seems to understand this too.

agreed - I love a proper defending full back; we've got 5 at the back incl the keeper, so that makes 6 to take the ball forward. First job is to defend, especially away from home and especially with our low possession %.

CTID

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:02 pm

For me if we were to go up then Pelts and Jazz would be gone for me..

They both are solid defensive right backs and Jazz has proved me wrong this season even though he is a bit subject to some bad performances from one or two games this season. I like Pelts, you know exactly what you are gonna get from him.. maybe we could keep him if we did go up as back up I don't know.

As for the one poster saying Jazz has speed, what player are you watching?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:46 pm

Never thought Jazz lacked pace especially when he marked Hazard out of the game for Wales!!

Pelts lacks pace but makes up for it with his understanding, positioning and that he rarely ventures past the halfway!

No argument that Pelts is a good squad player for us, just my opinion that when everyone's fit we have 2 better options.....especially at home!

We only got back in the game Monday because an attacking fullback scored!! The higher you go the more you need from every position!

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:00 pm

For me the balance is right if you have Peltier and Bennett playing.. one attacks and one sits back. Having two attacking from both angles leaves you exposed.