NEIL WARNOCK: PLAYING PATERSON ON THE WING PAID OFF

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:19 am

Cardiff boss explains decision to play ex-Hearts defender as winger
By Darren Johnstone

Thursday 23rd November 2017

Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock admits his decision to play Scotland internationalist Callum Paterson as a right winger paid off after the former Hearts player scored the winning goal in Tuesday’s win at Barnsley.

The 23-year-old helped propel the Bluebirds back into an automatic promotion place in the English Championship after forcing home an 83rd minute corner.

The versatile Paterson, who made his comeback from an ACL injury last month, was recruited from Hearts during the summer as a right-back but Warnock admits the player has a lot to offer all over the pitch.

He said: “I just thought away from home he gives us a bit more height.

“They’ve got quite strong centre-halves, Barnsley and with Danny (Ward) I thought they might dominate us a bit more.

“So I thought if we put Pater there we’ve got an outlet that gives us a chance of keeping the ball a little bit more.

“Barnsley did that to us last year. They played balls out to (Marley) Watkins and I think he won everything down that side.

“I thought we’d just change it with three games in a week as well.”

Paterson was thrilled to open his account for his new side.

He tweeted: “Delighted to score my first goal for Cardiff. What a tackle. Been a long hard year since I scored so happy to get one eventually!

“Well done to the rest of the troops.”
Attachments
A.jpg
A.jpg (144.48 KiB) Viewed 552 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Return to General Chat