“ NEIL WARNOCK PREPARED TO WALK AWAY FROM CARDIFF CITY IF “

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby worcester_ccfc » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:55 pm

Wednesday 22nd November 2017

By Anthony Woolford

Neil Warnock has dropped his biggest hint yet he's prepared to walk away from Cardiff City next summer if the Bluebirds win promotion to the Premier League.

Cardiff City moved back into the automatic promotion places as Callum Paterson's 83rd-minute strike proved to be the difference as the Bluebirds won 1-0 at Barnsley on Tuesday night.

Warnock's side have a one-point lead over third-placed Sheffield United and are five in front of Aston Villa, in fourth spot, putting the Bluebirds right in the mix for promotion to the Premier League.

But having sampled life in the top flight with Crystal Palace and QPR, Warnock, who celebrates his 69th birthday on December 1, has cast doubt whether he's ready for another spell in the Premier League with Cardiff.

Speaking to talkSPORT after their 1-0 win at Oakwell on Tuesday night, Warnock was asked if he would carry on at Cardiff, if he took them up to the Premier League.

“I wouldn’t say that at the moment," said Warnock.

ED098BA8-02ED-43DA-A305-B70DF820F97E.jpeg
ED098BA8-02ED-43DA-A305-B70DF820F97E.jpeg (67.77 KiB) Viewed 4214 times

“At Cardiff the fans have taken to me, we’ve managed to clear quite a few lads out and brought genuine Championship lads in. It’s amazing what you can do with team spirit and that’s my forte really.

“I didn’t enjoy Premier League if I’m honest, they’re not my cup of tea really and these are.

"These are lads who will go through brick walls for you at places like this (Barnsley) on a Tuesday night.

“I just enjoy turning clubs around if I’m honest and I should just work from the end of February to April.

“Let’s get there first (Premier League), one thing at a time, it will be so difficult with the wage bill we have in comparison with some others.

59C4FA41-CAC1-429A-80CA-F6F757E13D6F.jpeg
59C4FA41-CAC1-429A-80CA-F6F757E13D6F.jpeg (74.88 KiB) Viewed 4214 times

“We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. I didn’t enjoy it (Premier League).

“I don’t like chairmen talking to players and going out with them, it’s not my cup of tea.

“I think it’s great to see clubs like Cardiff City and Sheffield United up there with all those big hitters and the money they’re spending.

“Unfashionable clubs like Cardiff and Sheffield, on our budgets, weren’t supposed to be up there."
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: “ NEIL WARNOCK PREPARED TO WALK AWAY FROM CARDIFF CITY I

Postby Sneggyblubird » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:15 pm

To be honest I don't see Vinnie as the type to go hob-nobing with players,I don't think he needs that kind of ego boost.I get what NW means though and I hope it doesn't come to our club.
Sneggyblubird

Postby Charlie Harper » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:34 pm

If City go up then it is only right for NW to stay and lead us. The best manager I can think of :bluescarf:
Mad bad and dangerous to know
Charlie Harper

Postby Steve Zodiak » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:16 pm

As he said, we have genuine Championship players here. I doubt if many have the quality for Premier League football, if they did the chances are they would already be there.
Warnock is not getting any younger, and if we were promoted would he want to completely re-build a team bringing in the sort of mercenaries that he does'nt like in order to try and avoid immediate relegation.
I think he would deserve the opportunity of keeping us there, but I'm not so sure he would want it.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Juventus Blue » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:26 pm

My view is, if Neil Warnock gets us promoted to the Premier League then we must get a manager in that can keep us there, I’m not saying for Warnock to go because he will have earned the right to manage us there but if he wants to stand down then I’d say to keep him as director of football to reward him for getting us promoted.
I think it’s a very different prospect managing a club in the Premier League to the blood and guts of the Championship to be honest and that’s where Warnock is so successful. Having saying that though, I honestly hope he gives it a crack because he deserves it come what may. :ayatollah:
CARDIFF CITY ARE BACK IN BLUE!
WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUE, WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUUUUEE!
CHAMPIONSHIP CHAMPIONS 2012/13
CHAMPIONSHIP RUNNERS UP 2017/18
Juventus Blue

Postby Mr Shed » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:41 pm

To be honest IF we get promoted this season, i will not be too sad to see Warnock walk away.

He will finish on a high, record breaking 8th promotion.

Mrs Warnock has just had the all clear, so he's bound to want to be closer to home.

Why manage in a league that he hates? he is more for the thrill of the game than the money.

6 months down the line, if things arent going too well the same supporters (or the new 15 to 20,000 at the CCS) would be calling for his head!

He would leave this club a hero, Cardiff's most successful manager and universally loved from all angles of the stadium.

But let's get there first!!!!
:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:
:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah:
:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

*Insert Name here* BARMY ARMY!!!!!
Mr Shed

Postby worcester_ccfc » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:53 pm

Mr Shed wrote:To be honest IF we get promoted this season, i will not be too sad to see Warnock walk away.

He will finish on a high, record breaking 8th promotion.

Mrs Warnock has just had the all clear, so he's bound to want to be closer to home.

Why manage in a league that he hates? he is more for the thrill of the game than the money.

6 months down the line, if things arent going too well the same supporters (or the new 15 to 20,000 at the CCS) would be calling for his head!

He would leave this club a hero, Cardiff's most successful manager and universally loved from all angles of the stadium.

But let's get there first!!!!

It’s probably not a popular opinion, but my opinion is that Warnock isn’t the right man for us if we get back to the Premier League.

I believe he’s the right man to take us there, if not this season then next season, but I don’t think we’d stay up with him in charge.

I was told about six months ago that Warnock didn’t want to manage in the Premier League and that Craig Bellamy was due to replace him if we got promoted - Bellamy had started doing coaching work with the first team as well as the youth teams.

But now looks like Bellamy COULD get the Wales job, so that will change things.

All I’ll say is the person who told me that, has been right with everything they’ve told me before - including what I posted in the below link about Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Kenwyne Jones.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=131482
worcester_ccfc

Postby Blue_Barber » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:21 am

For me Warnock has to stay with our club, I can see him obtaining hero status eventually and with the very limited footballing nouce within the club at present, he could literally set up shop as he liked!

Yes I get his lack of willing, it’s a corporate league full of big head toss pots, and he’s never quite fitted into their clic - but we aren’t the same as a lot of those teams, and if Warnock could take us up and keep us there, then bring in an Eddie Howe-esque manager then the guy would be a hero forever. I do think it’s time for him to stater thinking about the wife and kids, age is certainly catching up BUT I think there’s a lot of blue still in his blood and this could be his biggest and most successful club yet, with or without promotion.
Blue_Barber

Postby Aramore » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:38 am

Quite frankly I wouldn't want him if we get promoted. Yes he's a fantastic championship manager but his premier league record is dire. We'd need someone else to have a realistic prospect of staying up.

Whether we'd get that someone else is another matter though.
64JACK wrote:
ThomasC wrote: :lol: your my favourite poster :ayatollah:

Actually, your mine as well! The avator clinches it for me, as sometimes I do imagine I'm talking too a sensible lemon in sunglasses! :laughing6:
Aramore

Postby Bakedalasker » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:46 am

Aramore wrote:Quite frankly I wouldn't want him if we get promoted. Yes he's a fantastic championship manager but his premier league record is dire. We'd need someone else to have a realistic prospect of staying up.

Whether we'd get that someone else is another matter though.

Got a feeling it will be Pulis.
Bakedalasker

Postby Once a blue always a blue44 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:53 am

No real surprise about this. I love Warnock and if he did get us promoted on the tight budget that we are on it'll be one of the best managerial achievements for Cardiff city of all time. He would be a club legend without a doubt. I would be gutted if he left but I agree that the premierleague is probably not for him. He has said it himself he doesn't want to manage in the PL. I'm sure he would give it a good go if he did and could potentially keep us up but he's probably got other things to do such as spend time with family etc. ESP after his wife's illness and now having the great news of the all clear.

It's obvious that Warnock still has the desire and passion for the game and it would be a great to go out on a real high. But having said all this - we haven't even got there yet! We may not get promoted but our current league position is fantastic and I'm loving every minute of it. Let's just enjoy the moment! :bluescarf: :bluebird:
Once a blue always a blue44

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:48 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:To be honest I don't see Vinnie as the type to go hob-nobing with players,I don't think he needs that kind of ego boost.I get what NW means though and I hope it doesn't come to our club.

Probably can't afford a night out these days ;)
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Bluebird Warrior » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:47 pm

I agree with most of the posts above, I love Warnock and personally cant think of a better Championship manager but I don't think he needs or wants the hassle of the premier league and all the rubbish that comes with it. And I'm not sure that he would be the right man to keep us up, and I think he would want to go out on a high and not either getting sacked or getting relegated, but lets hope he gets us there and lets enjoy the ride :ayatollah:
Bluebird Warrior

Return to General Chat