Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MY VIEW:CARDIFF CITY TODAY TOOK THEIR CHANCES AS BRENTFORD

Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:55 pm

My View / Opinion

CARDIFF CITY TODAY TOOK THEIR CHANCES AS BRENTFORD WILL NEVER BELIEVE HOW THEY FAILED TO SCORE TODAY.

In front of Cardiff City's lowest home crowd of the season,even though City are the only unbeaten team at home in the Championship.

Cardiff badly needed a win today and got the 3pts even though Brentford could of easily scored 4 goals, but at the end of the day a win is a win.

Sadly an awful attendance of barely 16,000, over 11,000 down on when City beat Leeds United.

City stay 3rd in the Championship :bluebird:

Cardiff remained the only team in the Championship this season who hadn't been beaten in front of their own fan And still are not beaten at home.

Strange first-half City went in 2-0 up,yet they could of been losing, thats football for you.

Danny Ward and Junior Hoilett stood out for me :thumbright:

CARDIFF CITY 2 BRENTFORD 0 :thumbright: :thumbright:

Cardiff City: Etheridge, Manga, Bamba, Morrison, Bennett, Damour, Ralls, Bryson, Feeney, Hoilett, Ward.

Subs Murphy, Connolly, Paterson, Gunnarsson, Tomlin, Pilkington, Gounongbe.

Crowd 16,335
Away Support 890

Neil Warnock's team had taken everyone by surprise. People were asking questions: why Callum Paterson has been left on the bench? And is Aron Gunnarsson fully fit? Lee Tomlin not starting?

In the 8th min Morrison delivered a long throw-in, Brentford failed to clear and Joe Ralls lashed home 1-0 City :bluebird: :bluebird:

Cardiff City were leading, but Brentford could perhaps consider themselves unlucky not to have a goal too. Brentford came close a couple of times - but Neil Etheridge made some good saves in the Bluebirds goal.

It was all Brentford and in the 33rd min Brentford missed a totally empty goal, miss of the season, keeper was down on the floor.

Then bang against the run of play City in the 36th min made it 2-0 Danny Ward :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

It’s was a strange first half, but Cardiff are leading 2-0.

H/T CARDIFF CITY 2 BRENTFORD 0 :bluebird: :bluebird:

Brentford poured the pressure on and City had to dig deep and defend straight from the second-half.

Craig Bryson kicks off the line 67th min, it was all Brentford.

Gunnarsson came on for Damour 70th min.

73rd min Patterson came on Liam Feeney.

80th Final sub of the game saw Gounongbe replace Ward who had done well today.

City held out and got the 3pts :bluebird:

F/T CARDIFF CITY 2 BRENTFORD 0 :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

MY MAN OF THE MATCH Danny Ward :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird:

:bluebird: UP NEXT BARNSLEY AWAY THIS TUESDAY NIGHT / PAY ON THE NIGHT :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: MY VIEW:CARDIFF CITY TODAY TOOK THEIR CHANCES AS BRENTFO

Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:05 pm

Sounds like Brentford were the better side but just couldn’t score - all clubs have days like that.

A big win for us, keep the pressure on the top two and we’re nine points clear of the 7th placed team - the highest team outside the play-offs.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:07 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Sounds like Brentford were the better side but just couldn’t score - all clubs have days like that.

A big win for us, keep the pressure on the top two and we’re nine points clear of the 7th placed team - the highest team outside the play-offs.

Spot on Ned, a massive win for us :thumbright: :thumbright: and I will be at our next home game v Norwich, I don't think there will be a train for u back home at night. :bluebird:

:bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

:bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:10 pm

Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:12 pm

UPDATED

Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:14 pm

Cardiff have conceded the least amount of goals in the Championship along with Boro :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:28 pm

Enjoyed today, where were the f fans :shock:

Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:32 pm

grange_end1927 wrote:Enjoyed today, where were the f fans :shock:

Tony, they were all shopping in St Davids 2 :lol:

Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:15 pm

On TV they said... Brentford will play a lot worse than today and win.

Sounds like an excellent result for us. Exactly the type of game you need to win to be challenging for promotion come May.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:18 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Sounds like Brentford were the better side but just couldn’t score - all clubs have days like that.

They weren’t the better side, but could have got something out of the game. In the first half they passed beautifully but created few shots at goal. The glaring miss came after a major defensive mistake. They always looked vulnerable when we ran at them.

Our defence played magnificently in the second half, riding their luck occasionally, but for the most part getting blocks in which protected Etheridge. He made some good saves when called upon, but in general the defence spoilt the attacks of Brentford.

In general, we deserved our win, despite not being on our best form. The sign of a good side.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:24 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:On TV they said... Brentford will play a lot worse than today and win.

Sounds like an excellent result for us. Exactly the type of game you need to win to be challenging for promotion come May.

Yes for me this is an excellent win against the most improved Championship side :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:26 pm

bluebird58 wrote:

They weren’t the better side, but could have got something out of the game. In the first half they passed beautifully but created few shots at goal. The glaring miss came after a major defensive mistake. They always looked vulnerable when we ran at them.

Our defence played magnificently in the second half, riding their luck occasionally, but for the most part getting blocks in which protected Etheridge. He made some good saves when called upon, but in general the defence spoilt the attacks of Brentford.

In general, we deserved our win, despite not being on our best form. The sign of a good side.

I watched it on tv close up and with the chances they created they could of won 2-4.

They missed two chances that they will regret for a long time.

For me we got away with murder but thats football :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:35 pm

Cardiff City 2 Brentford 0

Brentford FC

Saturday 18th November 2017

Two first half goals condemned Brentford to defeat against high-flying Cardiff City and ended their long unbeaten run. The Bees headed to South Wales having not lost in nine Sky Bet Championship fixtures but fell behind inside the first ten minutes. Chances to level came and went – with Neal Maupay missing one particularly gilt-edged opening – and the hosts struck again before the break. They maintained that 2-0 lead through to the end to take the points and maintain their hold on a top three spot.

The defeat was only Brentford’s second in the league since mid-August and the first since a loss to Sheffield Wednesday a few weeks later. And it is one they may find hard to take as if chances had been taken the result would be a different story.

They fell behind when failing to deal with a set piece and then did not score when dominating a spell in the first half. They second goal gave The Bees a second half mountain to climb and more chances came and went as they failed to find the crucial goals they needed.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:54 pm

bluebird58 wrote:

Not sure I agree that they weren't the better side. Thought they battered us for most of the game and the statistics show that they had far more attempts on goal than we did, and Etheridge (who was excellent today :thumbup: ) was by far the busier of the two keepers.

At times they just cut through our midfield almost at will and if their finishing had been better we could have been looking at quite a beating.

That open goal missed changed the whole complexion of the game, particularly as we scored our second almost immediately.

If that had gone in the game could have turned out very differently.

Still, having said all that it's a great 3 points and absolutely vital. Really need at least 4 points now from Barnsley and Forest.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:03 pm

bluebird58 wrote:

Brentford boss Dean Smith:

"I feel we were unlucky today, we had enough chances to get something out of the game today, we had 25 attempts and 14 inside the penalty area.

"In a normal game you would score two or three of those. It felt like it wouldn't go in for us today. Some of our build-up play was very good, but I'm disappointed with the manner in which our goals were conceded.

"Neal knows he should have scored and 999 times out of a thousand he does. He's had one of those moments you don't want to see on a football pitch."

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:21 pm

I thought it was a very good game some nice football played by both sides. Brentford had more good technical players however we had more bite and Bamba I thought was immense. Rode our luck a touch but the same will happen to us this year you take it when it comes

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:24 pm

cendl blue wrote:I thought it was a very good game some nice football played by both sides. Brentford had more good technical players however we had more bite and Bamba I thought was immense. Rode our luck a touch but the same will happen to us this year you take it when it comes

Great post and a lot of truth :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:29 pm

Brentford boss Dean Smith 'would want his money back' after seeing Bees stung by Cardiff City

Cardiff City 2 Brentford 0

Brentford manager Dean Smith claims he "would want his money back" after watching Cardiff City's 2-0 Championship win over the Bees.

But speaking after the match, Smith admitted he was disappointed with the officials after Cardiff looked to slow the game down having taken a two-goal lead before half time.

When asked if Cardiff produced the kind of display he expected, Smith responded: "Yes they did to be honest.

"They're going to be organised, strong and powerful and when they got two goals up you know they're going to slow the game down.

"I'm disappointed that when you come to the level of the Championship, your own players have to run 20 yards to get the ball off the pitch.

"It just seemed that every free-kick, throw-in and corner took about a minute.

"Personally, I'd probably want my money back because the ball was probably only on the pitch for 20 minutes.

"I don't blame Cardiff for that because they're sitting on a two-goal lead, I'd be doing the same, but the officials have got to get a grip on it that's for sure."

Maupay looked destined to level the scores just after the half hour mark after taking advantage of some sloppy defending from Neil Etheridge and Sean Morrison, but the French striker inexplicably fired wide of the target with the goal at his mercy.

And Smith felt the Bees deserved to take something back to Griffin Park.

"I feel we were (unlucky)," added the Brentford boss.

"We had enough chances to get something out of the game. I've just been told we had 25 attempts, and 14 of them inside the penalty box so in a normal game you would certainly score two or three of them.

"Some of our play was very good. I was disappointed with the manner of the goals we conceded.

"We spoke about part of their armoury is going to be the long throw from Morrison and how we don't want people to get sucked into the first ball because the second ball will be important.

"I thought our reaction to that was ok. Obviously Neal's had a glorious chance to level it up and we give a poor second goal away.

"I thought our reaction after half time was very good and we could have scored four or five and that's when it felt like it wasn't going to be one of those games for Neal.

"He's disappointed because he knows he should have scored, and 99 times out of 100 he does. He's had one of those moments you don't want to see on a football pitch, but his reaction after half-time when we had a chat with him, I thought he got into goalscoring positions really well. I just felt it was one of them days for him.

"For me he could have just rolled it into the other side of the goal.

"It's a bad miss, that's what it is. Centre-forwards live and die by goals. Unfortunately we didn't take our chances today. We'll all talk about Maupay's miss but we've had four free headers from set-pieces in the opposition box today and not done better than we should with them."

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:29 pm

It was a poor attendance again but not our lowest at home this season

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:35 pm

ccfcsince1962 wrote:It was a poor attendance again but not our lowest at home this season

Oops your right Keith :oops: :thumbright:

Its been even worse, your sadly right and we've been depending on away supports to bolster our low home attendances, very sad is it just,needing away fans to make home attendances look a little respectful.

Tue Oct 31 Cardiff City 3 Ipswich Town 1 :thumbright: :thumbright: Crowd 15,951 Away (450 )

Cardiff remained the only team in the Championship this season who hadn't been beaten in front of their own fan And still are not beaten at home.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:55 pm

' UPDATED ' :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:56 pm

Good win for us although I never thought we looked the better side today. Strange how there are no comments about the ref on the forum this evening. Could that be because we won. I thought some of the usual posters might have complained a bit about some time wasting which was going on. I guess it only applies if it is the opposition who are doing it.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:00 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:Good win for us although I never thought we looked the better side today. Strange how there are no comments about the ref on the forum this evening. Could that be because we won. I thought some of the usual posters might have complained a bit about some time wasting which was going on. I guess it only applies if it is the opposition who are doing it.

:lol:

A lot of truth there steve, I noticed the same :lol: :thumbup:

Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:05 pm

16k Crowd very disappointing, we are 3rd in the league back in blue. We have a manager we have wanted for ages, so why the low attendances

Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:17 pm

Ebbw Blue wrote:16k Crowd very disappointing, we are 3rd in the league back in blue. We have a manager we have wanted for ages, so why the low attendances

Darren, Personally I think its embarrassing.

Warnock must be in shock.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:22 pm

Ned what Warnock even said.

NEIL WARNOCK:

They've asked me on television if it's one of the worst misses I've seen, I can't blame anybody but the lad himself, and I've no sympathy for him because I think he's tried to be a little bit clever and he's tried to give it the eye rather than put it in. That's for him too look at and it gave us respite. An equaliser at that stage, and the way they were playing, you think they could start to dominate.

I think they're the only club in the league to have had more crosses and shots than us, so that's testament to Dean's and our side as we have created chances for supporters to watch.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:23 pm

Ebbw Blue wrote:16k Crowd very disappointing, we are 3rd in the league back in blue. We have a manager we have wanted for ages, so why the low attendances

It will go up a bit when the half season ticket kicks in.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:29 pm

cendl blue wrote:I thought it was a very good game some nice football played by both sides. Brentford had more good technical players however we had more bite and Bamba I thought was immense. Rode our luck a touch but the same will happen to us this year you take it when it comes

Bamba was absolutely brilliant today. He is easily my most favourite player at the moment total rock.