' Callum Paterson / Lee Camp / Danny Ward / Lee Tomlin "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:53 pm

How Cardiff City could freshen things up for the away tie at Middlesbrough

By Jamie Kemble

Thursday 19th October 2017

Cardiff City have a number of options in the squad that could help get them back to winning ways against a Middlesbrough in underwhelming form.

After a scintillating start to league proceedings, the Bluebirds have dropped off a little in the last two games: one point earned, no goals scored.

But maybe it’s a case of ‘lies, damned lies and statistics’, to quote Mark Twain (or Benjamin Disraeli, as the story goes); City were unbeaten in four before the Birmingham game and that was against some quality opposition for the most part.

Nevertheless, boss Neil Warnock does have able replacements in his squad should he choose to ring the changes in an effort to shake City out of their recent lean spell.

Callum Paterson :bluebird:

Warnock jokingly made a reference to Manchester City legend Sergio Aguero when discussing the potential return of Scotland international Paterson to the fold; this followed his sensational hat-trick for the U23s against Blackburn.

Despite the banter, there is no doubt that this was quite some scoring feat, especially for a defender. More importantly, Paterson is getting game time after a lengthy injury layoff.

Warnock appeared to suggest that Paterson could find himself on the bench for the first team by the end of the month. There is a possibility that this opportunity may arise as soon as Middlesbrough away.

Once he has proven his fitness at a first team level, you would expect the full back to be challenging strongly for a starting slot.

With the absence of Jazz Richards, Paterson’s return could also prove vital in terms of providing competition for Lee Peltier.

Lee Camp :bluebird:

The former Nottingham Forest goalkeeper is probably in a position to start games for the first team now but, not unlike Paterson, he will probably have to settle for a bench slot beforehand.

Neil Etheridge has looked shaky at times this season and you feel that he will now come under increased pressure after the return from injury of Nothern Ireland international Camp.

Camp has acquited himself well in U23 games so far and will surely be desperate to prove he is Cardiff City’s number one over the coming weeks and months.

However, it would be unfair to suggest that Etheridge is totally to blame for the recent lean spell and you certainly can’t blame for the lack of goals. The introduction of Camp may have to wait until after the visit to the North East.

Danny Ward :bluebird:

The former Rotherham forward has thus far not hit the heights since his arrival at the Cardiff City Stadium. He hasn’t played more than 20 minutes in a single league game to this point. His only two starts have come in the EFL Cup.

Perhaps his time is overdue; Kenneth Zohore hasn’t exactly been prolific this season, bagging just three goals in a dozen games. The Dane’s game is about a lot more than goals but overall he was looking a little out of sorts until the epic encounter with Leeds.

It seems unlikely that Omar Bogle will be considered for a starting slot any time soon so if anybody is drafted in to solve the mini-goal drought then Ward is the safest bet. Whether that is in addition to Zohore or as his replacement remains to be seen.

Ward, 26, has never been a prolific scorer of goals. He notched just 19 goals in 95 games for Rotherham – hardly Harry Kane-level exploits but he is a converted left winger rather than a classic centre forward.

Lee Tomlin :bluebird:

Off-field issues may have stunted his Cardiff City career slightly but there was much fanfare when the creative midfielder was acquired from Severnside rivals Bristol City.

Tomlin’s former boss in Bristol, Lee Johnson, appeared to rue the loss of his talents in a press conference following the 0-0 draw with Burton Albion on Friday night.

The 28-year-old, who can also fill in as a secondary striker, has spent a lot of time warming the bench recently and failed to make an appearance even as City trailed Birmingham at St. Andrews.

Perhaps the re-introduction of Tomlin to the starting lineup could be boost the side needs for the remainder of October.

His crafting could take the pressure off Zohore somewhat and offer another avenue of attack beyond the wing channels.
Attachments
20915611_1865174070166174_6106463725998180544_n.jpg
20915611_1865174070166174_6106463725998180544_n.jpg (47.06 KiB) Viewed 2782 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ' Callum Paterson / Lee Camp / Danny Ward / Lee Tomlin "

Postby TopCat CCFC » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:32 pm

The More options NW has the better .
TopCat CCFC

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:25 am

Bit harsh on Neil Etheridge who I think has done a very good job and has certainly saved our backsides at times.

Can't wait for Patterson to make an appearance because it will have the double whammey of dumping useless Peltier out of the team and NML will finally get some support down the right-hand side.Indeed a NML/Paterson right-sided combination is a very mouth watering prospect.

Tomlin will probably be sparely used until his court case is finished. Danny Ward though definitely should be given a chance staring at Boro as KZ still has his head in the transfer cloud. :roll:
Tony Blue Williams

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:25 am

I think we definitely need a little freshening up.
It's understandable that squad players have to bide their time when the team is playing really well and achieving results but when the opposite of that happens they need to know they'll get a chance as long as they're ready and have impressed in training etc.
I'd like to see Tomlin given a chance if all is well with him.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby RageJon » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:34 am

Defiantly need a freshening up

It was always my question that when outer midfield go dry on goals would ken prove his worth. Ward deserves a chance and with Patterson attacking more and quicker to get back.

We don't need camp at the moment I believe
Always Know If The Juice Is Worth The Squeeze !

Utrinque Paratus
RageJon

Postby Danny Says » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:38 am

Unless the court case is affecting Tomlin (understandable but he should be able to override this) or he is not 100% fit (why wouldn't he be?), surely he has to be started tomorrow.

I have no issue with Etheridge.

Starting Patterson is a no brainer. I would have him like a shot instead of Peltier.

If Gunnarsson is unfit then I'd start Damore.

I'd play Bryson ahead of Ralls.

Ward? I don't get why he is only given 10 minutes occasionally. He should be given a chance from the start but not in place of Zahore. Zahore did as well as anyone at B'ham and was unlucky none of his assists led to a goal. When was he last given a ball in space to attack the defence like he did so often last season?

So I'd stick with Zahore and play Ward out wide instead of Hoillett or Mendez.

One other issue is Bamba. Manga does not deserve to be dropped, neither does Morrison so does he play 3 CB's or drop Bamba or play Manga at full back? But Patterson is hopefully going to start. I would not be surprised to see Manga dropped.

My team tomorrow:

Etheridge
Patterson Manga Morrison Bennett
Ward Bryson Tomlin Damore Mendez
Zahore
Danny Says

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:35 am

Danny Says wrote:Unless the court case is affecting Tomlin (understandable but he should be able to override this) or he is not 100% fit (why wouldn't he be?), surely he has to be started tomorrow.

I have no issue with Etheridge.

Starting Patterson is a no brainer. I would have him like a shot instead of Peltier.

If Gunnarsson is unfit then I'd start Damore.

I'd play Bryson ahead of Ralls.

Ward? I don't get why he is only given 10 minutes occasionally. He should be given a chance from the start but not in place of Zahore. Zahore did as well as anyone at B'ham and was unlucky none of his assists led to a goal. When was he last given a ball in space to attack the defence like he did so often last season?

So I'd stick with Zahore and play Ward out wide instead of Hoillett or Mendez.

One other issue is Bamba. Manga does not deserve to be dropped, neither does Morrison so does he play 3 CB's or drop Bamba or play Manga at full back? But Patterson is hopefully going to start. I would not be surprised to see Manga dropped.

My team tomorrow:

Etheridge
Patterson Manga Morrison Bennett
Ward Bryson Tomlin Damore Mendez
Zahore

Bamba and Ralls will probably start

Hoilett has been our best player also? ( sorry if he's injured but i haven't read anything )
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby Blue_Barber » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:25 am

For me Etheridge doesn’t deserve to be dropped from what I’ve seen with Camp so far - im not sure he’s ready.

Paterson would be good to start big strong and pacey but who do you drop from the fb berth? For me Bamba has to go back alongside Morrison not sure what’s going on with Manga but he isn’t justifying any selection.

Tomlin has got to start we’re desperatly missing that creative edge that we never had last season in midfield, I’d bring Bryson on as an impact sub for Tomlin.

Again Ward has to start, he could run them ragged for 60 mins and then we could bring on Big Ken - imagine facing the both when your already shattered?!
Blue_Barber

Postby DandoCCFC » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:17 pm

Pissing at the Etheridge part, does he attend games?
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby dogfound » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:45 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Pissing at the Etheridge part, does he attend games?

i proper dont get it either....
and get the Camp stuff even less..has had a half decent career but youd swear he have Lev Yashin in the wings waiting to rescue us from Steven Byewater.
dogfound

Return to General Chat