' PETER WHITTINGHAM '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' PETER WHITTINGHAM '

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:55 pm

Personally I said two years ago Whitts was past his best and was becoming to costly in wages for what he was contributing, Warnock did right in not keeping him on.
Whitts was costing City up to £25,000 a week.

Peter Whittingham (Blackburn) ex Cardiff City.

By Ian Mitchelmore

Wednesday 18th October 2017

After more than a decade in the Welsh capital, Whittingham has struggled to make an impact in the early parts of his Blackburn career in division one, a division lower than at Cardiff City.

The Cardiff icon has made 10 appearances in all competitions for Tony Mowbray's side, playing the full 90 minutes in just five of those games.

And speaking about Whittingham's difficult start to life at Ewood Park, Mowbray told the Lancashire Telegraph: “Where the Championship is more tactical, this league is more energy, up and at them, tackling, winning challenges and getting the ball forward.

“I think it’s a bit of an eye opener for him, but I am trying to filter him in to the team, acclimatise and get him going.

Peter Whittingham in action for Blackburn against Oldham
“He has to win me over and help the team win football matches and then when the team is confident and playing higher up the pitch and not sitting deep you will be able to see his left foot threatening the opposition goal."

Rovers will no doubt be aiming to secure promotion back into the Championship this season having dropped out of England's second tier in agonising fashion last term.

Whittingham will no doubt be a key part of Mowbray's plans, and the Blackburn boss fully expects the ex-Bluebird to hit the ground running in the very near future.
Attachments
JS133620249.jpg
JS133620249.jpg (51.67 KiB) Viewed 7007 times
image1-1PNG.png
image1-1PNG.png (473.08 KiB) Viewed 7022 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

' PETER WHITTINGHAM '

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ' PETER WHITTINGHAM '

Postby Sneggyblubird » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:08 pm

And speaking about Whittingham's difficult start to life at Ewood Park, Mowbray told the Lancashire Telegraph: “Where the Championship is more tactical, this league is more energy, up and at them, tackling, winning challenges and getting the ball forward.

“I think it’s a bit of an eye opener for him, but I am trying to filter him in to the team, acclimatise and get him going.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good luck with that-not exactly his main strengths 10yrs ago never mind now. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sneggyblubird

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:20 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:And speaking about Whittingham's difficult start to life at Ewood Park, Mowbray told the Lancashire Telegraph: “Where the Championship is more tactical, this league is more energy, up and at them, tackling, winning challenges and getting the ball forward.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good luck with that-not exactly his main strengths 10yrs ago never mind now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Martin,
Whitts was class in his day,but very laid back and lazy in my opinion and always went missing on big occasions.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby dogfound » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:58 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:And speaking about Whittingham's difficult start to life at Ewood Park, Mowbray told the Lancashire Telegraph: “Where the Championship is more tactical, this league is more energy, up and at them, tackling, winning challenges and getting the ball forward.

agree...you either take him as he is or dont bother..
dogfound

Postby northernbluebird » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:46 pm

whitts will always be remembered fondly by me. it came to a point where he wasnt going to play every week and you can't blame him for leaving with the intention to play more regularly.

2012/13 was probably his best season, and he was really in decline from then on, but is still a better passer / set piece taker than anyone we've got here.
northernbluebird

Postby theclaw » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:59 pm

I was wrong and Warnock was right,Whitts time was up with us.But unfortunately we haven’t really got someone in who can play in that role.
theclaw

Postby valleyrambill » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:09 pm

When whits was at his best he was the best player in the championship sadly at the end he did struggle but always popped up with a goal even in his last season with us I thought he would piss league 1 just shows that certain leagues are a lot tougher than we think
[color=#0040BF][/color]
valleyrambill

Postby DandoCCFC » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:55 pm

People forget he contributed to more goals and assists than any midfielder and was behind Zohore for contribution to goals and played less than Ralls, Gunnarsson.. past his best. :oops: :oops: :oops:
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby City Slicker » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:24 pm

The Blackburn fans' forum makes for interesting or frightening reading depending upon your point of view. One thing that should be borne in mind is that they've had top class talent at their club over many years in order to make justifiable comparisons, whereas we haven't.
City Slicker

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:36 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Martin,
Whitts was class in his day,but very laid back and lazy in my opinion and always went missing on big occasions.

Whitts had weaknesses to his game but he was definitely not lazy
I'm just a wine drinking monkey that has a penchant for fine bannanas. You can check out my human alter-ego singing and speaking nonsense on the you tube if you like @ https://www.youtube.com/user/sibaronimusic
ealing_ayatollah

Postby dogfound » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:08 pm

City Slicker wrote:The Blackburn fans' forum makes for interesting or frightening reading depending upon your point of view. One thing that should be borne in mind is that they've had top class talent at their club over many years in order to make justifiable comparisons, whereas we haven't.

well if they are comparing their lge1 players with their prem winning team they must be retards
dogfound

Postby nubbsy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:04 am

ealing_ayatollah wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Martin,

Agree. Whitts was not a lazy player.
nubbsy

Postby NyeBluebird » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:29 am

nubbsy wrote:
ealing_ayatollah wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Martin,

Agree. Whitts was not a lazy player.

Not a lazy player at all! There's a reason he rarely missed games through injury and that was hard work and a smart work rate. Still think he could do a job here, would've been a massive boost against Birmingham as he's someone who can actually take control of the ball, something I think Warnock thought Ralls could do (he can't!).
NyeBluebird

Postby Bonner » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:50 am

Don't agree, he was never a lazy player.. always gave 100%.. will always be remembered fondly.. a loyal player to our club.
Bonner

Postby krabb » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:03 am

We are a better team without him, glad he moved on in my opinion.. :ayatollah:
krabb

Postby actionman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:59 pm

Whitts would be first name on city all time greatest team. I think he was one of the greatest players city have ever had.On another note he could do what tomlin isn't doing and come off the bench to change things. I believe if the club had offered him a two year contract he would have taken a wage cut
actionman

Postby DandoCCFC » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:17 pm

Annis I think you are being very critical of a player who is a legend here and dedicated a long time here. He had more than a handful of clubs knocking the door for him and they weren't rumours.

Went missing in the big occasions, the play off semi final away at Leicester and the home game, he was running the show in both of them games, Carling Cup run etc.. the 25 goals in one season.. what occasions did he go missing in?
I will.

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby bluebird58 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:23 pm

If he’d had a right foot half as good as his left he could have played at the very top. The only player I ever knew who was more left footed was Norman Hunter, and he was hardly a finesse player!

Whitts will always be a Bluebirds legend :bluebird:
First game Cardiff v Coventry City 1967
bluebird58

Postby TopCat CCFC » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:41 pm

Please respect a player who spent a good time at this club - And who may have wanted to stay or was asked to move on .

Gave us 3 0r 4 trips to wembley - part of a championship winning team and now has gone .
TopCat CCFC

Postby DandoCCFC » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:12 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:Please respect a player who spent a good time at this club - And who may have wanted to stay or was asked to move on .

Gave us 3 0r 4 trips to wembley - part of a championship winning team and now has gone .

Spot on, Wolves at home for me was the only hat trick I have seen from a City player.
I will.

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby dogfound » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:21 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:Please respect a player who spent a good time at this club - And who may have wanted to stay or was asked to move on .

totally agree mate..
makes you wonder sometimes what people actually want..
dogfound

Postby nubbsy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:25 pm

dogfound wrote:

totally agree mate..
makes you wonder sometimes what people actually want..

They want jam on it
nubbsy

Postby mugsy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:32 pm

Oh I so wish we could have had Whitts for that game at Brum ( and Derby in the game before ).His touch and set delivery are badly missed at present. :cry:
mugsy

Postby actionman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:41 pm

I've got the dvd of the wolves game all his goals were typical Whitt strikes a grass cutter right in the corner from outside the box a penalty which I've never seen him miss and a free kick from a ridiculous angle one of the best strikers of a ball I've seen
actionman

Return to General Chat