' SAFE STANDING / NOW FOR CHAMPIONSHIP CLUBS '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:31 am

Safe Standing Gets A Step Closer To The Championship

Football 24/7

Wednesday 18/10/17

Safe Standing Gets A Step Closer To The Championship

Shrewsbury Town have now confirmed that they have reached their crowd funding target of £65,000 to create a safe standing section at New Meadow.

Having set the target a few months ago, more than £65,000 has been raised and chief Executive Brian Caldwell now believes the club are in a position to be a 'flagship club' for tackling the popular topic at hand.

'Safe standing has been something fans have campaigned to see introduced for many years. We will now continue to work closely with our local Safety Advisory Group to gain the necessary certification for the safe standing area and hope to have supporters watching home games from the safe standing area before the end of the season. As one of the few clubs with an all-seater ground able to introduce a rail seating section, Shrewsbury Town will now lead the way in making the case for a change in policy and adding a standing option to the match-day experience for all clubs and fans.'

Shrewsbury applied to have safe standing back in June, with plans to have rail seats fitted to one section of their Salop Stand by the end of the 2017/18 campaign.

They are one of a few clubs to have the choice, as New Meadow is a decade old and not governed by the all seater legislation that permits clubs in League One and Two to keep terracing that existed prior to 1994.

Now this doesn't impact at Championship level and the second tier of football is certainly not going to notice any changes any time soon, but for proponents of 'safe standing' and those clubs on record as being interested in the potential and those offering themselves up for a trial should legislation change, it's an important step and gives the campaign something tangible to build on in the English game - Scotland's Celtic already having such a safe standing area.

As plans now progress the section should house around 400 fans and work as a live test model as the safe standing campaigns continue and allied to experiences gained from Celtic, and other countries such as Germany, keeping the issue front and centre and demonstrating the 'safe' value will only strengthen the cause of those lobbying for a change.

EFL chief executive Shaun Harvey added.

'I am pleased that Shrewsbury Town has successfully sourced the necessary funding to support the proposed installation of rail seating. I know the campaign has benefitted from a strong community effort and I congratulate the club's supporters, as well as those from other clubs that have contributed. The EFL is committed to seeking a change in the law that will give all of our clubs the same opportunity to install standing accommodation at their grounds should they wish. We are keen to see how the installation enhances the match-day experience at Shrewsbury Town and we hope it provides evidence we can take to government to support our objective.'
Attachments
786_b.jpg
786_b.jpg (13.74 KiB) Viewed 1397 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ' SAFE STANDING / NOW FOR CHAMPIONSHIP CLUBS '

Postby worcester_ccfc » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:15 am

I expect they’ll see how it goes at Shrewsbury and then consider allowing it in the Championship.

Been a long time coming.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:31 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:I expect they’ll see how it goes at Shrewsbury and then consider allowing it in the Championship.

Been a long time coming.

Ned
If Shrewsbury go up then, they will be a Championship club next season and it will be all sanctioned :thumbright:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby bluebird58 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:21 pm

It’s worth a try at League 1 level to see how it works out, although if Shrewsbury get promoted I wouldn’t put it past the EFL to not let them use it at Championship level.

Unfortunately, the cause has been done no favours by the Celtic experience. Although, there have been no safety issues as I understand it, the safe standing area has become the focal point for an increase in sectarian abuse, and perceived extra tension in the ground rather than improved atmosphere. That shouldn’t be an issue at the Cardiff City Stadium, but it’s something the authorities are likely to take into account. I’m not sure it’s relevant elsewhere, but the authorities may not see it that way.

The biggest obstacle, of course, remains the 96 who died at Hillsborough, even if the standing proposed now is entirely different from what took place then. It will always be in people’s minds ( as it should be).

Presumably, if it is put in at the Cardiff City Stadium it will be at the Canton end, as far away from the away supporters as possible. This will be good for the Canton st holders, but will anyone move from the Ninian Stand blocks near the away fans move?

Hopefully it will be nowhere near my end of the Ninian Stand 112 , as I’m happier sitting and always have been!
First game Cardiff v Coventry City 1967
bluebird58

Return to General Chat