"I Cant Stand Neil Warnock" Says

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:48 am

"I Cant Stand Neil Warnock" Says Kenny Burns

Nottingham Post

Tuesday 17th October 2017

'I can't stand Neil Warnock - but I see some of his qualities in Kevin Nolan - and that makes me hopeful about Notts County's future'

Let’s not beat around the bush, I don’t like Neil Warnock as a character. In fact, I can’t stand the bloke.

And we all know what happened when Billy Davies was manager of Nottingham Forest. He had more baggage than the lost luggage section at Luton Airport.

But whatever you think of them, both men have one thing in common – they are brilliant man-managers and they know how to motivate.

Their sides would run through a brick wall for their managers.

You don’t have to like people to recognise when they have talent in certain areas – even if they might have other traits that hold them back, in the case of the former Forest manager at least.

And I mean it as a big compliment when I say that I see similar qualities in Kevin Nolan.

I’m not saying he is unlikeable in any way. Far from it.

But he is an old school manager; a man who you suspect will give it to his players straight.

No messing around, but no lack of clarity either.

If something needs saying, he will say it – whether the players want to hear it or not.

And that quality is vastly underestimated. Don’t tiptoe around modern players; don’t worry about what needs saying – as long as you are fair and reasonable, what is wrong with that?

Stuart Pearce was a player with a formidable reputation and a fierce character. Opposition wingers would cower at the sight of his name on the team sheet.

And when he came to manage Forest, that is the one thing you thought he would bring to the table. A bit of fire and brimstone; a bit of the fear factor in the dressing room.

But he was apparently as placid as anything. He barely ever raised his voice after games, never mind unleashing any fire and brimstone.

No player wants to be shouted at after every game, of course. You have to pick and choose your moments or turning the dial up to 11 after every game will very quickly get old – and lose impact.

But you get the feeling that Nolan is not the kind of character that is shy about speaking his mind – and making it very clear to his players what he expects and demands from them.

All of which is why Notts are currently still sitting at the top of the League Two table. You would not bet against them still being there come May.

And, if they are not, I am sure Nolan will have plenty to say about it.

Neil Warnock doing a brilliant Job at Cardiff City
Attachments
DHS8s7uXUAEW-Q9.jpg
DHS8s7uXUAEW-Q9.jpg (81.61 KiB) Viewed 4378 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: "I Cant Stand Neil Warnock" Says

Postby davids » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:35 pm

.... Anthony Pilkington!
davids

Re: "I Cant Stand Neil Warnock" Says

Postby northernbluebird » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:05 pm

managers like Neil Warnock are a dying breed. Nowadays, often the first a manager will hear about a player being unhappy is through an agent. The game has changed and although there is an element of 'straight talking' and brutal honesty, I suspect he's adapted his approach significantly over time.

It's also one of the reasons why he won't manage in the premier league - too many snowflakes.
northernbluebird

Return to General Chat