" JOHN HARTSON REVEALS HIS ADDICTION "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:21 am

Welsh football icon John Hartson reveals the depths of the gambling addiction that nearly cost him everything

John Hartson was receiving £40,000 a week in his bank from wages.

By Tom Coleman

Tuesday 17th October 2017

The 42-year-old recalls the moment that inspired him to turn his life around

Former Wales international John Hartson has opened up on how his gambling addiction nearly ripped his family apart.

In his latest column for the Daily Mail, the ex-Arsenal, West Ham and Celtic striker says betting companies were aware of his spiralling problems, and admits that it took the threat of losing everything to really turn his life around.

"I can’t tell you how much the betting companies loved me," he explained. "They laid on seats at concerts and invited me to their golf events.

"For 10 years a certain firm I won’t name even laid on a corporate table at Cheltenham races for me to bring 10 friends. I didn’t have to leave my seat all day. They just sent staff in to take my bets. Those people just couldn’t do enough for me.

"That was clever of them. I was a deeply addicted gambler and they knew it. But no one’s going to say ‘no’ when the whole world knows you’re on a big four-year deal, there’s £40,000 dropping into your account on a very regular basis and you want to place a bet. It was worth their while to keep me happy."

At the height of his problems, Hartson recalls how he had accounts with "seven or eight different companies", which he believes made it harder for him to really grasp on the true extent of his addiction.

"It’s when you start opening accounts with the betting firms that the roof starts falling in for people, like me, who are addicted gamblers. It’s like Monopoly money then, because it’s all on account. You’re not holding the notes in your hand. You’re not seeing it go.

"You can place a bet while you’re sitting down to dinner with your family or having a conversation with your wife."

The situation worsened to such a point where Hartson's wife Sarah, who had already stood by him though his battles with cancer, was becoming a secondary consideration, creating a situation that brought the former striker dangerously close to the abyss.

"I’d been diagnosed with cancer and while I was in hospital, in and out of consciousness after major brain surgery, she was the rock of our little family.

"She was pregnant, she looked after the children, she ran the household and then — despite everything she had done — I came out of hospital and carried on with the gambling. This was a man who earned millions. My wife couldn’t pay the bills.

"It was because of Sarah that I stopped in the end. She’d had enough of my walking in from trips, ignoring her and the girls, going straight to the TV and turning on a cricket match, golf tournament or horse race I had £5,000 on. She made a decision to pack her bags and leave me. ‘I won’t put my girls through this,’ she said. I remember those words like it was yesterday."

"So the penny dropped then."

Hartson cites the work done by Gamblers Anonymous as a key factor in helping to beat his addiction, but he says that keeping busy with punditry work has also helped to keep his demons at bay.

He also ensures that "every single penny" of his earnings go into his wife's bank account in order to take away the temptation to start again.

As a result, Hartson says he hasn't placed a bet in six years, and claims he has already been approached by other figures in the game for guidance on gambling addiction.

"It’s six years this month since I last placed a bet and the effect of having kicked it makes me feel free and alive. We’ve just bought a beautiful piece of land south of Edinburgh, where we’re creating a home. The children are settling into their new surroundings.

"I’ve had calls from six Premier League managers in the past six months, asking me to help a player with gambling problems.

"But I can just talk about the difference between back then and now.

"I wake up every day, open my back door, suck in the fresh air and give thanks that the past is over."
Attachments
IMG_3175.JPG
IMG_3175.JPG (76.05 KiB) Viewed 4266 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: " JOHN HARTSON REVEALS HIS ADDICTION "

Postby nubbsy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:31 am

Thought it was guna say pies
nubbsy

Postby NIBluebird » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:58 am

nubbsy wrote:Thought it was guna say pies

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NIBluebird

Postby Jock » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:59 pm

He's a retard, how he gets punditry work I'll never know.
Jock

Postby Sven » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:23 pm

Jock wrote:He's a retard, how he gets punditry work I'll never know.

Jock, I'm sure there's a little of the old Glaswegian rivalry in that comment but I can tell you from personal experience that the real John Harston is far removed from the one given to him by those (mainly opposition fans) who don't truly know him.

As Annis will confirm, I was fortunate enough to spend some time with John and Sarah earlier this year and I found him to be a very personable guy who has come to terms with his addiction and realises the value of what was a most taken away from him through two illnesses (the cancer and the gambling)

I witnessed John being abused by a Rangers fan in Edinburgh and it wasn't a pleasant experience, I can tell; you but he just had to shrug it off. Not nice for anyone, surely?

John is very open about his life experiences and what he has learned. He has a very strong partner in Sarah (a lovely lady but typically forthright Scot) and he values her and their children immensely. He is currently working hard to build them a fresh life in a beautiful part of Scotland

As for his punditry? I've always found him pretty good and I know for a fact that he has upset a lot of his hometown fans with some of his justified comments in the dark days of last season. "I have to say it as I see it or what's the point of me being there?" is what he said

As a Cardiff City fan, I should dislike Big John but I can't and the reason is simple; it's because I've met him, I've spoken to him and I have to say I liked him as a person! :thumbright: :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Leytonstoneblue » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:05 pm

Sven wrote:

Jock, I'm sure there's a little of the old Glaswegian rivalry in that comment but I can tell you from personal experience that the real John Harston is far removed from the one given to him by those (mainly opposition fans) who don't truly know him.

As Annis will confirm, I was fortunate enough to spend some time with John and Sarah earlier this year and I found him to be a very personable guy who has come to terms with his addiction and realises the value of what was a most taken away from him through two illnesses (the cancer and the gambling)

I witnessed John being abused by a Rangers fan in Edinburgh and it wasn't a pleasant experience, I can tell; you but he just had to shrug it off. Not nice for anyone, surely?

John is very open about his life experiences and what he has learned. He has a very strong partner in Sarah (a lovely lady but typically forthright Scot) and he values her and their children immensely. He is currently working hard to build them a fresh life in a beautiful part of Scotland

As for his punditry? I've always found him pretty good and I know for a fact that he has upset a lot of his hometown fans with some of his justified comments in the dark days of last season. "I have to say it as I see it or what's the point of me being there?" is what he said

As a Cardiff City fan, I should dislike Big John but I can't and the reason is simple; it's because I've met him, I've spoken to him and I have to say I liked him as a person! :thumbright: :ayatollah:

I agree Sven,

I had a couple of chats with him before and after the Wales game, as we were staying in the same hotel and he really is a nice guy, he seems very content with life and especially happy with living in Edinburgh. A top man in my opinion :thumbup:
5 Live commentary, English Wigan V Welsh Wigan April 2013,
" it's gone a bit quiet with the Wigan fans and there aren't enough Swansea fans to make a noise"
Leytonstoneblue

Postby dogfound » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:20 pm

do agree with your punditry remark.
but generally agree with SVEN on this :o
met him a number of times over the years and always been great despite me wanting to not like him...has also put himself out to talk to and try and help young lads with similar problems {gambling }...
dogfound

Postby Jock » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:20 pm

dogfound wrote:

met him a number of times over the years and always been great despite me wanting to not like him...has also put himself out to talk to and try and help young lads with similar problems {gambling }...

Fair enough, I sat at the next table to him in a Cardiff restaurant and all he spoke about was money, sounds like he's changed his focus and sorted himself out. Cap doffed for that.
He does talk shite though.
Jock

Postby Sven » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:28 pm

Jock wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Fair enough, I sat at the next table to him in a Cardiff restaurant and all he spoke about was money, sounds like he's changed his focus and sorted himself out. Cap doffed for that.

Jock, you're a top man! :thumbright: :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby WelshPatriot » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:29 pm

Jock wrote:
dogfound wrote:

He does seem a likeable guy but have to agree his punditry is shite.
WelshPatriot

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:05 pm

He might be a Jack B but in fairness he has been man enough to admit and then beat his demons. That is not an easy thing to do and that is without mentioning his heroic battle with cancer.

I couldn't possibly slag the guy off because he seems to be a much better man than I am and I have to salute him for his honesty and bravery.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby evil c » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:13 pm

He's a cock. Tried to get my wife's phone number when she worked in Oceana. At the time his Mrs was pregnant. Low life. :evil:
evil c

Postby Jock » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:32 am

evil c wrote:He's a cock. Tried to get my wife's phone number when she worked in Oceana. At the time his Mrs was pregnant. Low life. :evil:

His wife black bagged him, leaving his stuff on the pavement outside Celtic Park, when she found he was playing away.
Jock

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:34 am

Never forget the shite that come out of his mouth when we played Luton Town at Ninian Park a good few years back in the FA Cup, lost 2-1, the foul abuse he directed towards the grandstand where I was sat with my 4 year old son at the time was pretty poor. Never liked him since, do not think he has a lot of love for Cardiff City fans either.

Still take my hat off to him after his battle with cancer, as for gambling, he chose to do it!
1980s Bluebird

Return to General Chat