Extended warranties

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Extended warranties

Postby maccydee » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:43 pm

Car is shortly to come out of warranty.

Looking to buy an extended warranty for it. Anyone got any top tips. It's got full dealer service history. I am a biff with such things.
maccydee

Extended warranties

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Extended warranties

Postby rhysCCFCemma » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:05 pm

what car is it mate i work for vauxhall i now they do a life time warranty but dont now the full details of how it works
rhysCCFCemma

Postby maccydee » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:27 am

rhysCCFCemma wrote:what car is it mate i work for vauxhall i now they do a life time warranty but dont now the full details of how it works

Evoque bud.
maccydee

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:39 am

Normally its dependent on how many miles you do a year? Ans and of course having full service history and keeping that up.
pembroke allan

Postby maccydee » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:39 am

pembroke allan wrote:Normally its dependent on how many miles you do a year? Ans and of course having full service history and keeping that up.

Got full Land Rover service history.
maccydee

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:54 pm

maccydee wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Normally its dependent on how many miles you do a year? Ans and of course having full service history and keeping that up.

Got full Land Rover service history.

Ooh sounds as if could be expensive if land rover? start off by asking them a quote I've found these warranties expensive and restrictive but just have to way up if worth it, musnt forget to add servicing costs as well so get overall cost per annum. :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby northernbluebird » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:01 pm

maccydee wrote:Car is shortly to come out of warranty.

Looking to buy an extended warranty for it. Anyone got any top tips. It's got full dealer service history. I am a biff with such things.

think about it - i've had extended car warranties and they messed me around, kept me on hold forever, and there are so many exemptions you have to ask if its worth bothering with.

if the car manufacturer itself has one, may be worth considering though.
northernbluebird

Postby maccydee » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:22 pm

northernbluebird wrote:
maccydee wrote:Car is shortly to come out of warranty.

think about it - i've had extended car warranties and they messed me around, kept me on hold forever, and there are so many exemptions you have to ask if its worth bothering with.

if the car manufacturer itself has one, may be worth considering though.

Cheers pal.
maccydee

Postby blemmy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:46 pm

One of the best warranty companies I've ever been involved with is Warranty Direct. Not as slimy in wriggling out of a claim as most - I've even got them to accept a claim they wouldn't have normally by making a good case to them. They will also accept payment monthly and quarterly as well as in one lump. They sometimes have offers of 13 months for cost of 12.
They can also be negotiated with on the initial price quoted but be ready for a painful quote cost wise as we are talking Range Rover here. You will also need to agree to have the car serviced as per manufacturers schedule but you don't have to use a dealership - any VAT registered garage can be used but they must use manufacturer recommended parts and lubricants.

Warranty Direct in my experience are head and shoulders above the rest other than the warranty offered by that Quentin Wilson's company but they are murderously expensive even for a Fiesta!!

Paul
blemmy

Postby maccydee » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:42 am

blemmy wrote:One of the best warranty companies I've ever been involved with is Warranty Direct. Not as slimy in wriggling out of a claim as most - I've even got them to accept a claim they wouldn't have normally by making a good case to them. They will also accept payment monthly and quarterly as well as in one lump. They sometimes have offers of 13 months for cost of 12.
They can also be negotiated with on the initial price quoted but be ready for a painful quote cost wise as we are talking Range Rover here. You will also need to agree to have the car serviced as per manufacturers schedule but you don't have to use a dealership - any VAT registered garage can be used but they must use manufacturer recommended parts and lubricants.

Warranty Direct in my experience are head and shoulders above the rest other than the warranty offered by that Quentin Wilson's company but they are murderously expensive even for a Fiesta!!

Paul

Cheers.
maccydee

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:40 am

This is a personal view which is mainly based on my former job in Trading Standards. Warranties are a complete rip off and for the most part aren't worth the paper they are written on.

All consumers have very good statutory rights to protect you from shoddy goods and services without paying a penny. Warranties are supposed to only add to these rights not replace them. Unfortunately you tend to find that Warranty companies will do anything to wriggle out of paying up so your premiums are basically money chucked down the drain.

It makes much more sense to save any money your intend to use to buy a Warranty and then use it when something goes wrong.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Steve Zodiak » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:11 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:This is a personal view which is mainly based on my former job in Trading Standards. Warranties are a complete rip off and for the most part aren't worth the paper they are written on.

All consumers have very good statutory rights to protect you from shoddy goods and services without paying a penny. Warranties are supposed to only add to these rights not replace them. Unfortunately you tend to find that Warranty companies will do anything to wriggle out of paying up so your premiums are basically money chucked down the drain.

It makes much more sense to save any money your intend to use to buy a Warranty and then use it when something goes wrong.

I have always considered extended warranties to be a nice little commission earner for someone and not a great deal else. Once the small print is studied it becomes clear that many parts that are likely to perish because of normal wear and tear are not covered. As you say, if you save your monthly premium the chances are you will end up with enough money to pay for any repairs, and still have cash left over. If I had taken an extended warranty out when I bought my last TV, I still would not have needed to make a claim and would have spent enough in premiums to have bought several new TV's by now.
I think the Evoque has had gearbox issues linked with it in the past, and I doubt if repairs would be cheap if needed.
Steve Zodiak

Postby maccydee » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:36 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:This is a personal view which is mainly based on my former job in Trading Standards. Warranties are a complete rip off and for the most part aren't worth the paper they are written on.

I have always considered extended warranties to be a nice little commission earner for someone and not a great deal else. Once the small print is studied it becomes clear that many parts that are likely to perish because of normal wear and tear are not covered. As you say, if you save your monthly premium the chances are you will end up with enough money to pay for any repairs, and still have cash left over. If I had taken an extended warranty out when I bought my last TV, I still would not have needed to make a claim and would have spent enough in premiums to have bought several new TV's by now.
I think the Evoque has had gearbox issues linked with it in the past, and I doubt if repairs would be cheap if needed.

That’s my worry. Something goes wrong out of warranty would be pretty expensive.
maccydee

Postby Steve Zodiak » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:24 am

maccydee wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

That’s my worry. Something goes wrong out of warranty would be pretty expensive.

I suppose a lot depends on the cost of the warranty, and exactly what it covers. After that it is a bit of a gamble. A lot of the time regular servicing by a good mechanic helps, and preventative measures can often nip these potential problems in the bud. The warranty may have more benefit giving you peace of mind rather than anything else, but they tend to be expensive with too many get out clauses. I have saved a fortune over the years by never taking one of these policies out, but perhaps I have been lucky.
Steve Zodiak

Postby maccydee » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

I suppose a lot depends on the cost of the warranty, and exactly what it covers. After that it is a bit of a gamble. A lot of the time regular servicing by a good mechanic helps, and preventative measures can often nip these potential problems in the bud. The warranty may have more benefit giving you peace of mind rather than anything else, but they tend to be expensive with too many get out clauses. I have saved a fortune over the years by never taking one of these policies out, but perhaps I have been lucky.

My problem is pal, I am a complete biff with cars. Quite literally wouldn’t have a clue. Anything wrong straight away I would take to Land Rover.
maccydee

Postby Steve Zodiak » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:47 pm

maccydee wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

My problem is pal, I am a complete biff with cars. Quite literally wouldn’t have a clue. Anything wrong straight away I would take to Land Rover.

You have to go with whatever puts your mind at rest and does'nt keep you awake at night. I think deep down your mind is made up. Alternatively, buy a Kia which I believe comes with a 7 year manufacturer's warranty. They must be confident about their build quality and reliability
Steve Zodiak

Return to General Chat