' CARDIFF CITY HANDED MAJOR BOOST '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:09 am

CARDIFF CITY HANDED MAJOR BOOST OVER MIDFIELDER INJURY NEWS

Sunday 15th October 2017

Cardiff City have been given encouraging news over the injury of Aron Gunnarsson, Wales Online is reporting.

During Cardiff City’s disappointing loss away at Birmingham City last night, midfielder Aron Gunnarsson was introduced to the action on 68 minutes, replacing Craig Bryson.

However, Gunnarsson limped off during stoppage time, leaving Cardiff with just ten men on the pitch as they fell to a 1-0 defeat at St Andrew’s.

Following the game, there were concerns about the extent of the Iceland captain’s injury.

But Cardiff have received a boost as it appears that Gunnarsson’s injury is not as serious as initially feared with concerns about a serious ankle injury appearing to be calmed now.

In fact, the 28-year-old could return in time for Cardiff City’s difficult trip to The Riverside Stadium next weekend as the Bluebirds prepare to face Garry Monk’s Middlesbrough.

This news is a major boost for Cardiff because the Icelandic international has been a vital cog in Neil Warnock’s midfield this season as they sit top of the Championship table.

Gunnarsson was named on the bench for Cardiff’s Friday night encounter with Birmingham because of his role in Iceland’s successful World Cup qualifying campaign and there were some worries about his fitness prior to the game.

The Verdict

This is a major boost for Cardiff as they continue to seek promotion.

Gunnarsson’s work rate and tough tackling approach in the heart of midfield makes him a vital part of Neil Warnock’s plans.

Without him in midfield, Cardiff lack that extra bit of bite and tenacity.
Attachments
Aron-GunnarssonAron-GunnarssonAron-Gunnarssond-800x504.jpg
Aron-GunnarssonAron-GunnarssonAron-Gunnarssond-800x504.jpg (43.43 KiB) Viewed 4807 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ' CARDIFF CITY HANDED MAJOR BOOST '

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:14 am

Aron Gunnarsson could be fit to face Middlesbrough as Cardiff City star's injury isn't as damaging as first thought -

Sunday 15th October 2017

Cardiff City fears of a damaging lay-off for Aron Gunnarsson look set to be eased with the Viking warrior being tipped to be back in time for the clash at Garry Monk’s Middlesbrough.

Gunnarsson has once again been a driving force for the Bluebirds during their storming start to the season under Neil Warnock.

But a bad night at Birmingham looked set to be compounded when Gunnarsson hobbled off with an ankle problem with ten minutes remaining at St Andrew’s – leaving the Bluebirds down to ten men having already used all three subs. Cardiff lost their second league game of the season at Birmingham with Che Adams scoring the only goal for the hosts.

With Gunnarsson known never to shirk, it prompted real scares that the midfielder could face a significant time in the treatment room which would represent a real blow for Warnock.

But it is thought the 28-year-old’s issue isn’t as bad as first feared – and could even be ready for Saturday’s trip to promotion rivals Middlesbrough.

Gunnarsson had started on the bench against Blues having starred in Iceland’s historic World Cup qualifying matches the week before.

It came after he had missed Cardiff games against Leeds and Derby with a groin strain, though Warnock admitted he had eased his stance over the national team’s captain’s involvement.

But the problem was nothing to do with previous issues and was caused as he jarred his ankle while attempting to cut out a late Birmingham attack having come on for Craig Bryson with 22 minutes remaining.

Gunnarsson tried to continue not to leave his side short but looked in some pain and was eventually helped from the pitch as Cardiff failed to grab a leveller.

It left Warnock fearing the worst, but initial assessments have proven positive and there is hope that it will heal sufficiently in time for the game against Monk’s men at the Riverside.

It will be a needed boost for Cardiff with Gunnarsson – last year’s player of the season – an integral part of the central midfield alongside Joe Ralls.
Attachments
JS133549654.jpg
JS133549654.jpg (32.09 KiB) Viewed 4780 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby NIBluebird » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:07 am

Good news .

Middlesbrough will be a tough match
NIBluebird

Postby Woody CCFC » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:18 pm

1 nil down and Warnock brings Gunnarson on, when you got Tomlin on the bench does'nt make sense to me.
Woody CCFC

Postby Overthemoon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Woody CCFC wrote:1 nil down and Warnock brings Gunnarson on, when you got Tomlin on the bench does'nt make sense to me.

Because Tomlin can only create things when we've got possession of the ball and we weren't getting enough possession for anybody to create anything. That changed when Gunnarsson came on, but he unfortunately got injured, before we were able make enough of the bigger percentage of possession, That Gunnarsson helped achieve.
Bartley the Bluebird sat down and scratched his head, he used to have a blue shirt on, but now it's turned to red!
Overthemoon

Postby nubbsy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:17 pm

Overthemoon wrote:
Woody CCFC wrote:1 nil down and Warnock brings Gunnarson on, when you got Tomlin on the bench does'nt make sense to me.

Because Tomlin can only create things when we've got possession of the ball and we weren't getting enough possession for anybody to create anything. That changed when Gunnarsson came on, but he unfortunately got injured, before we were able make enough of the bigger percentage of possession, That Gunnarsson helped achieve.

Gunnarson may win the ball but he's hardly a pass master. We needed some attacking flair/shots/runs/goals asap and you don't bring a 'blocker' on for that I'm afraid he acted too late. All opinions I suppose that's how I see it.
nubbsy

Postby Overthemoon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:09 pm

nubbsy wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:

Because Tomlin can only create things when we've got possession of the ball and we weren't getting enough possession for anybody to create anything. That changed when Gunnarsson came on, but he unfortunately got injured, before we were able make enough of the bigger percentage of possession, that Gunnarsson helped achieve.

Gunnarson may win the ball but he's hardly a pass master. We needed some attacking flair/shots/runs/goals asap and you don't bring a 'blocker' on for that I'm afraid he acted too late. All opinions I suppose that's how I see it.

Think you're missing the point I was making, we have to have decent possession to do all the things you've mentioned and I believe Gunnar was brought on to help get us more possession, which I believe was achieved for the short period he was on the pitch. I also think that Gunnar isn't given enough credit for his ability to create opportunities for us as well. He has shown on many an occasion that he is more than capable of doing this with some direct running and it wasn't too long ago, that he was actually our top goalscorer at one stage. I agree that Tomlin may well have been able to create more further up the field, but a ball winner he is not and we needed the ball firstly.
Bartley the Bluebird sat down and scratched his head, he used to have a blue shirt on, but now it's turned to red!
Overthemoon

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:45 am

nubbsy wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:

I'm with Nubby! I thought Bryson was doing well too!
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby dogfound » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:05 pm

nubbsy wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:

thought Bryson was doing well but also thought he was our most likely player to get booked and already been booked..i do think that we need quite a bit more possession for Tomlin to be of any great use. and bringing him on.unless it be for one of the wide players was going to reduce possession not increase it.
dogfound

Return to General Chat