Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREAKING NEWS: TONIGHTS CARDIFF CITY LEAGUE CROWD WILL BE

Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:48 am

' UPDATED 26/09/ 17 '

BREAKING NEWS: " TONIGHTS CARDIFF CITY LEAGUE CROWD WILL BE THE HIGHEST EVER LEAGUE CROWD IN THE CARDIFF CITY STADIUM " :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird:

:bluebird: :bluebird: " OVER 28,000 WILL BE THERE TONIGHT " :bluebird: :bluebird:

Highest Home League Crowd for 41 years for Cardiff City Tonight :thumbright: :bluebird:

Tickets still on Sale :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

:bluebird: ' UPDATED 26/09/17 ' :bluebird:

Only 300-400 tickets remaining in the Ninian Upper now :thumbright: :bluebird:

' UPDATED ' TICKETS STILL ON SALE BY PHONE OR IN PERSON :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Tickets are selling fast for Upper Ninian Stand & Main Grandstand, at this rate on course for 28,000 plus home crowd :bluebird: :bluebird: , Could even make 30,000 :bluebird: :bluebird:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=188288 :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

' Highest home league crowd for 41 years???? '

Looking at the e ticketing map of the stadium now and seeing the lower bowl is virtually red sold out surely we will get 30,000+ now as its 28,000 without the new stand and they started selling those this morning and we still got the rest of today and tomorrow and the walk up crowd to go, this is looking like our highest home attendance since Hereford in 1976 att:35,549
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Highest home crowd for 41 years????

Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Yes got 3 tickets for the upper ninian stand for friends this morning :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:09 pm

Highest official attendance. Anyone who was there that night will tell you there were a few thousand more than that.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:09 pm

1976?? :shock: Strewth, I was at that game in one of the best seasons ever as a City supporter! :ayatollah:

A fantastic 2-0 win for Jimmy Andrew's Cardiff City on our way to promotion (we finished second to a great Hereford team of that era) with goals from Doug Livermore and one of my all-time favourite Alan Campbell :clap: :clap:

Remember it like it was yesterday but they stuffed us in the away game 4-1 at The Cow Shed :o :shock:

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:06 pm

Eddie ccfc wrote:Looking at the e ticketing map of the stadium now and seeing the lower bowl is virtually red sold out surely we will get 30,000+ now as its 28,000 without the new stand and they started selling those this morning and we still got the rest of today and tomorrow and the walk up crowd to go, this is looking like our highest home attendance since Hereford in 1976 att:35,549

They didn't start selling them today as I bought a load for the new stand last Thursday.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:06 pm

Eddie ccfc wrote:Looking at the e ticketing map of the stadium now and seeing the lower bowl is virtually red sold out surely we will get 30,000+ now as its 28,000 without the new stand and they started selling those this morning and we still got the rest of today and tomorrow and the walk up crowd to go, this is looking like our highest home attendance since Hereford in 1976 att:35,549

I'm sure the cup game against Everton in 77 was well over 30k.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:25 pm

epping blue wrote:

Just checked a programme for the Chelsea home game from that season and the attendance was 35,582 for the Everton Cup Match in February 1977.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:30 pm

I remember both of those games & it seemed to me that there were a lot more at the Hereford game than the Everton game. :old: :old: :old:

Re: ' Highest home crowd for 41 years???? '

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:42 pm

Tickets are selling fast for Upper Ninian Stand & Main Grandstand, at this rate on course for 28,000 plus home crowd :bluebird: :bluebird:

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:46 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:Highest official attendance. Anyone who was there that night will tell you there were a few thousand more than that.

Correct there was prob 40,000 there :bluebird: :bluebird:

If everyone can turn out tomorrow night, they can turn out much more often :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:54 pm

Even if we hit 28,000 that would be the best for a long time in terms of fans turning out.

Seem to remember us getting well over 28,000 before but that was when we gave out thousands of free tickets.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:04 pm

The highest paid persons at the club in 1976 were the turnstile operators allegedly :lol:
1 for me 1 for the club :laughing6:

Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:06 pm

fred keenor wrote:The highest paid persons at the club in 1976 were the turnstile operators allegedly :lol:
1 for me 1 for the club :laughing6:

:lol:

Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:06 pm

castleblue wrote:
epping blue wrote:

Just checked a programme for the Chelsea home game from that season and the attendance was 35,582 for the Everton Cup Match in February 1977.

I was there, great match, so biggest League crowd Gary :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:11 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
castleblue wrote:
epping blue wrote:

I was there, great match, so biggest League crowd Gary :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

About 10,000 of them were Everton fans though.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:12 pm

epping blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
castleblue wrote:
epping blue wrote:

:lol:

Hmm 5,000?

Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:13 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
castleblue wrote:
epping blue wrote:

I can't remember a higher league attendance than that Hereford match Annis and I hope tomorrow is as good a game.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:18 pm

castleblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
castleblue wrote:
epping blue wrote:

I can't remember a higher league attendance than that Hereford match Annis and I hope tomorrow is as good a game.

I wish I was there Gary, got to watch the match live in my local with Leeds fans :lol:

Lets hope the fans return on Saturday :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:00 pm

Sven wrote:1976?? :shock: Strewth, I was at that game in one of the best seasons ever as a City supporter! :ayatollah:

A fantastic 2-0 win for Jimmy Andrew's Cardiff City on our way to promotion (we finished second to a great Hereford team of that era) with goals from Doug Livermore and one of my all-time favourite Alan Campbell :clap: :clap:

Remember it like it was yesterday but they stuffed us in the away game 4-1 at The Cow Shed :o :shock:

I was there for both games too Sven.I remember Dixie Mc Neil embarrassing a hapless Mike England on the night and he was about fekin 60 even then. :lol:I think Alan Cambell scored with a header which was unheard of for him.That Hereford side also included Terry Paine who at the time held the record for the most league games played.Happy days.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:07 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:Highest official attendance. Anyone who was there that night will tell you there were a few thousand more than that.

Correct there was prob 40,000 there :bluebird: :bluebird:

If everyone can turn out tomorrow night, they can turn out much more often :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Annis, we used to laugh back in the day for different reasons when they announced the crowds, as (unlike now) the attendances often looked bigger than the 'official' figures given. Stories of turnstiles that missed a 'click' every few fans coming through were ripe! ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:01 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:I remember both of those games & it seemed to me that there were a lot more at the Hereford game than the Everton game. :old: :old: :old:

same here..you could move around in the Everton game..

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:09 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
Sven wrote:1976?? :shock: Strewth, I was at that game in one of the best seasons ever as a City supporter! :ayatollah:

I was there for both games too Sven.I remember Dixie Mc Neil embarrassing a hapless Mike England on the night and he was about fekin 60 even then. :lol:I think Alan Cambell scored with a header which was unheard of for him.That Hereford side also included Terry Paine who at the time held the record for the most league games played.Happy days.

You're right on all counts! :thumbright:

Fantastic days of youthful enthusiasm for the club we (still) love! :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:47 pm

dogfound wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:I remember both of those games & it seemed to me that there were a lot more at the Hereford game than the Everton game. :old: :old: :old:

True, the Everton supporters got moved around a hell of a lot that day :wink:

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:05 pm

rhondda 1015 wrote:
dogfound wrote:

True, the Everton supporters got moved around a hell of a lot that day :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:11 pm

epping blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
castleblue wrote:
epping blue wrote:

I was at both matches. I am not sure where the 10,000 Everton fans were. They were given the enclosure section next to the Grange end and there were no more than 1,500 in there. Even after all these years I can remember being really surprised at how few of them there were. Game was due to be on Match of the Day, (our 3rd and 4th round ties against Spurs and Wrexham had been televised) but this being the seventies the BBC were on strike. Funny how I can remember so much of this but I cant remember what I did yesterday!

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:43 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
epping blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
castleblue wrote:
epping blue wrote:

I was at both matches. I am not sure where the 10,000 Everton fans were. They were given the enclosure section next to the Grange end and there were no more than 1,500 in there. Even after all these years I can remember being really surprised at how few of them there were. Game was due to be on Match of the Day, (our 3rd and 4th round ties against Spurs and Wrexham had been televised) but this being the seventies the BBC were on strike. Funny how I can remember so much of this but I cant remember what I did yesterday!

they were on the bob bank having a very difficult time of it..maybe not 10k but certainly a hell of a lot more than 1500
Last edited by dogfound on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: ' Highest Home League Crowd for 41 years???? '

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:43 pm

I think you're mistaken, Everton were on the Bob Bank, and had a torrid time all game.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:08 pm

rhondda 1015 wrote:I think you're mistaken, Everton were on the Bob Bank, and had a torrid time all game.

I though they had half the Bob bank with the late great Jeff Richards keeping the sides apart on his own at times. I cant remember the numbers but thought t was loads. They had about 4 special trains.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:14 pm

Eddie ccfc wrote:Looking at the e ticketing map of the stadium now and seeing the lower bowl is virtually red

Hang on when that happened at "The Brighton Match" everyone was up in arms... :lol:

Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:14 pm

epping blue wrote:
rhondda 1015 wrote:I think you're mistaken, Everton were on the Bob Bank, and had a torrid time all game.

I though they had half the Bob bank with the late great Jeff Richards keeping the sides apart on his own at times. I cant remember the numbers but thought t was loads. They had about 4 special trains.

it was thousands mate and yes 4 trains all of which were attacked both from Cardiff who had chassed them down slopper rd and Cardiff who had jumped the bob bank wall on to the railway lines.